ISO mini food processor for nut butters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Andy :) That's very helpful. I think I'm going to order the Cuisinart DLC-1SS. Just saw that I can download the manual from Cuisinart's website in advance. I'm sure it will be better than using a Nutribullet!

Does that model have chop and grind buttons? I only see low and high speed buttons.

How do you reverse the blade to grind?

The kind Andy and I have automatically puts the blade in reverse when you push "grind"

Does that model have chop and grind buttons? I only see low and high speed buttons.

How do you reverse the blade to grind?

The kind Andy and I have automatically puts the blade in reverse when you push "grind"

Yes, I asked Cuisinart and they said it has both chop and grind functions. Chopping is "low" and grinding is "high." I just looked at the manual and you can grind coffee beans and spices with it if you insert the blade a certain way. You can't do this with the KitchenAid 3.5 cup chopper.

Last edited:
Yes, I asked Cuisinart and they said it has both chop and grind functions. Chopping is "low" and grinding is "high." I just looked at the manual and you can grind coffee beans and spices with it if you insert the blade a certain way. You can't do this with the KitchenAid 3.5 cup chopper.

So the blade turns one way on "low" and in the reverse direction on "high?"

Why not have chop[ and grind buttons then?

415hFhn4CpL.jpg

Cuisinart BFP-703CHFR SmartPower Duet Blender

With the Cuisinart I linked, you don't have to change blade positions just press a different button.

I just looked at the manual. It's suggested that you chop on low speed and grind on high speed -- but high/low speed doesn't = chop/grind

Chopping is done with the sharp side of the blade and grinding with the flat side of the blade.

The model you are looking to buy turns the blade in one direction only. Thus, it requires you to remove the blade and mount accordingly for either chopping or grinding.

The model Andy and I have reverses the blade direction with a push of a button so that in one direction the sharp side of the blade is leading ("chop") and in the reverse the flat side of the blade is leading (grind).

Plus being able to reverse the blade helps for more even chopping/grinding/mixing.

Just make sure you are ok with having to pull out the blade and fiddle with it.

I have had one with the low/high speed versus the chop and grind and MUCH prefer the chop/grind reversing action.

Which KA model do you have?

Professional 670. I've had it for quite a few years now. When I bought it, it came with a 10" KA stainless clad fry pan as a "free" gift. This one has all of the attachments, including a citrus juicer, the dough blade, and the smaller sized bowl and blade. As it is, 95% of the use we get from it is just with the standard bowl and blade.

If we ever were in a position to buy oranges in bulk and make fresh OJ, the juicer might actually get used sometime - it's too much hassle to squeeze one or two lemons for a recipe. The old fashioned manual squeezer is more efficient and easier to clean.

Checking at Amazon, apparently the Model 700 has replaced the one I have.

I just looked at the manual. It's suggested that you chop on low speed and grind on high speed -- but high/low speed doesn't = chop/grind

Chopping is done with the sharp side of the blade and grinding with the flat side of the blade.

The model you are looking to buy turns the blade in one direction only. Thus, it requires you to remove the blade and mount accordingly for either chopping or grinding.

The model Andy and I have reverses the blade direction with a push of a button so that in one direction the sharp side of the blade is leading ("chop") and in the reverse the flat side of the blade is leading (grind).

Plus being able to reverse the blade helps for more even chopping/grinding/mixing.

Just make sure you are ok with having to pull out the blade and fiddle with it.

I have had one with the low/high speed versus the chop and grind and MUCH prefer the chop/grind reversing action.

Wow I'm so glad you looked at the manual. I don't understand why Cuisinart said the blade on the DLC-1SS was sturdier than the CH-4DC. It sounds like it would be a pain in the neck to remove the blade and flip it for different functions. It could get very messy.

Have you used the CH-4DC to grind coffee? I'm guessing you can because the manual says it grinds peppercorns.

Do you mean in comparison to the CH-4DC?

I'd have look up exact number. Sorry won't be able to do this till Sunday.
But any cuisinart I have had and I have few, 6 to be exact, plus one I gave to my parents. The 3 cup one I mentioned that was not as good (thought it is still very good and my parents are still using. I bought it when my younger son was born, I cooked and smooshed all his food, he never ate store bought baby food. He is turning 21, G-d willing, this coming June).
So any cuisinart is a good buy.

P.S. I think you are overthinking this. If you have Costco near by, check out. They do not have it online, but in store here they do 4 cup for $19.99. :)

Last edited:
If you have Costco near by, check out. They do not have it online, but in store here they do 4 cup for $19.99. :)

I'm bummed that there isn't a Costco near me. The cheapest price I've found for the CH-4DC is $53 on Amazon :(

At this point I'm thinking of getting Cuisinart's lower end 3 cup processor (the DLC-2A) which is $39.99 at Bed Bath.

I think that would be fine.

Thanks Andy. I just bought it, and the salesperson gave me a 20% discount and free shipping! He pointed out that a mini food processor would be easier to clean than the Nutribullet after making nut butter. After my experience trying the Nutribullet again last night I'm sure I'll agree. My Mini Prep should arrive early next week. Can't wait to try it!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Thanks Andy. I just bought it, and the salesperson gave me a 20% discount and free shipping! He pointed out that a mini food processor would be easier to clean than the Nutribullet after making nut butter. After my experience trying the Nutribullet again last night I'm sure I'll agree. My Mini Prep should arrive early next week. Can't wait to try it!

I like that all the parts (except the base) can go in the dishwasher for easy clean-up.

I like that all the parts (except the base) can go in the dishwasher for easy clean-up.

That's awesome. Nut butters can be a mess to clean up, so I'm glad that the work bowl and blade can go in the dishwasher. It took a lot of work to get the nut butter out from under the Nutribullet blade, and it isn't dishwasher safe.

I just noticed that my 7 cup Cuisinart Pro Classic doesn't have a grind function, just "on" and "pulse." Is that typical for most food processors? The 3.5 cup Cuisinart Mini Prep I just bought has both chop and grind functions. So I'm guessing I can use the Mini Prep for peppercorns and coffee beans but not the Pro Classic?

Back
Top Bottom