ISO pefect Apple Pie Filling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I made two apple pies for a pot luck today. The pies looked wonderful and the crust was perfect, flaky and tender. And though I received rave reviews for them, I am dissatisfied with the filling. First, my wife is hyper sensitive to flavors, and so the standard tart apples just don't work for her. And since I have to please her palate as well as everyone else's, I use a sweeter apple. I peeled 10 lbs of apples with a paring knife and sliced them with the same. It's a time intensive process. The apple slices were placed in a bowl of water with added lemon juice to keep them from browning Until the crusts were made and in the pie pans. I then drained the apples, and added about a cup of sugar, along with about three tbs. cinnamon and 1/4 tsp. nutmeg. I then added about 1/2 cup of flour and stirred the apple mixture until everything was well coated. One of the pies had a standard bottom crust, and the other had the bottom crust, two caramel disks place on the bottom, which were then covered with a thing crust that just covered the bottom. The pie filling was placed into the crusts, and the second crust was placed on top. Egg whas was applied to the top crust and sugar was sprinkled on top. The pies were baked at 375' for 1 hour. They came out golden brown and beautiful. The filling held together just enough to not spill all over the place when the pie pieces were cut and served.

My problem was that the filling tasted pastey to me. That is, the flour had done its job and absorbed the apple juices, and made a great texture. But it tasted uncooked, like flour mixed with apple juice and cooked, but not until done. There was that raw flour taste.

There must be a better thickner than flour. I would think that tapioca starch, or corn starch would work, but have no clue how much to use in a deep dish pie with 5 lbs. of apples in it. Any advise would be appreciated. Apple pies and home made pizza crusts are my Achilles heel in the cullinary world.:( My pizza crusts always come out undercooked and doughey, except when I make them on the grill.

But this thread isn't about pizza. I need a perfect apple pie filling.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Another option I have heard of is to partially cook the filling so it will release some of its liquid so you can drain it off.

I used to cook the apples raw in the pie shell, the old traditional way, but lately I've taken to precooking the filling... just a little. In a medium size pot I heat about 1 cup of unfiltered apple juice with two teaspoons of tapioca starch.

Corn starch has a different flavor that I don't like when used with apples or peaches. Flour ruins more pies than it helps... IMHO.

As the liquid thickens slightly, I add the spices, butter and sugar, adding just a little sugar at a time, tasting as I go until it's the right flavor and texture. I then add the sliced apples, give a quick folding stir and then pour into the shell that has been brushed with egg white and allowed to dry.

I don't know if you're so inclined, but I like doing things that make my pies consistent. Assembling the different components after having gotten them to taste the way I want, is my way of consistency.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it turned out! Good luck to you!!! :clap:

Last edited:
I'm curious what kind of apples people like to use in their pies. I have had great pie where a variety of apples are used. Personally, my own recipe lacks...no matter what I use. Apple pie is an unlocked secret in this house. Please share!

I usually go for a blend.. some tart, some not. My default is a blend of apples but being sure to only use 2 granny smiths (lots of tart - not much apple flavor imo). Golden delicious beat all the rest hands down for appley flavor but unless you can get them fresh they are often disappointing.

2 Granny smiths

and a blend of these - enough for a pie:

Golden delicious
Jonathan
Stayman-Winesap

I always use 3 kinds of apples, macintosh, red delious are always , then I get one of these - crispins or empires or mcCowins (spelling?) or grany smith
what ever ones I use they always come out great. I use most of the time flour but often I have used cornstarch without any noticable taste difference. I will post my pie recipe later when i get back home. Not at my computer

gw, i posted this for you a long time ago, but i'm not sure if you saw it (or you can go on ignoring it if you have, lol): http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/lucys-chunkalicious-apple-pie-52798.html

BT, you being you, you are never ignored. I missed that post somehow. Thanks.

Selkie, I'll try using the tapioca starch. I use tapioca starch exclusively in blueberry pie and it works great. I've tried pre-cooking the apple pie filling first and the apples always turned into mush by the time the pies were baked. So what I'll do is thicken apple juice with the tapioca starch, and add raw apple slices to it. That way, the apples won't overcook. And the juice should intensify the apple flavor.

I also like the idea of mixed apples in the filling. Golden Delicious, Winesap, Johnathon, etc. sounds like a winner. I like each of those apples. But they have to have some apple texture after they've been cooked. I want something to chew on. The filling has to have that "just right" texture to go with a flaky and tender crust. Thanks everyone.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

my apple pie
(10 INCH PIE)
crust
2 2/3 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup crisco (shortening)
7-8 tbl of ice water
cut the flour salt and crisco till crumbly
add enough water till workable
divide into 2 peices
roll out the first pcs and place into pie dish
Filling
place into pie dish
8 cups sliced apples ( of your choice)
mix together:
1 cup sugar
2 Tbl Cornstarch or flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp lemon juice
place on top of filling
5 tbl butter)
roll out second pcs and place on top of filling crimp together and place a few slits in the tops to let steam out.
place pie dish onto of a sheet pan incase of spill overs.
note:
I put a pcs of al foil over the top of mine until 1/2 way done and then finish uncover, this helps the apples to cook and the won't get burnt.
bake 375 40-45 min in my oven check your often for exact time of your oven.

I like to make a filling that is similar to the apple pie filling that you get in the can at the store. I use granny smith apple because they hold up to the cooking and don't become mush. Once the filling is made I put it into a pie crust and bake. I have had the best results using this method.

Another option I have heard of is to partially cook the filling so it will release some of its liquid so you can drain it off.

That's what I do when I use fresh apples. I don't put the apples in water, as I think that makes them soggy...I just toss them in lemon juice.

For how much corn starch to use, if you use it, look on the box.

Lately, though, I've been buying sugar free canned apple pie filling from Walmart, and it is amazing! The texture and flavor of the apples is perfect...All I add is cinnamon.

By the way...if you're not on a strict diet...dot the filling a few pieces of butter before adding the top crust. It's so good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom