ISO Restaurant & Sightseeing Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DH thinks foodies don't travel? [emoji38]We love to travel and find out about new and different foods! [emoji813]

So where is the big gathering? And in what part of western Virginia will you be?

:LOL:

Isn't DH funny GG ? :wub:

And ...

ssshhhh.jpg

I'll tell ya later ... for now,
let's just keep it at "Western VA" ;)

I'll tell ya later ... for now,
let's just keep it at "Western VA" ;)

Gotcha. If you're going to be anywhere near Charlottesville, it's well worth a stop. Thomas Jefferson's home Monticello is there, with the kitchen gardens overlooking the valley. We've taken all six of our exchange students there and we make sure to have a meal at Michie Tavern for Colonial-era food. The countryside around it is full of wineries and the town of Charlottesville is charming, with a restored old town and modern shopping and restaurants. Wonderful place.

Isn't it a beautiful part of the country?
I think it was back in 1999, our nephew got married, they lived in the Baltimore area and after all the festivities were done, we took off on a short-ish road trip and Monticello was tops on the list.

DH is a HUGE American History buff!
Oh and baseball, so we try to get to some sort of game,
be it the Bigs or Minors, when its possible.

What was it? three years ago this Summer, we were in Toledo
and went to a Mud Hens game. What a blast!

Did I tell you guys? Our honeymoon was a month long road trip from Baltimore to Maine and back again, what fun! We didn't make any reservations, just went and stopped where we liked. We got to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, he was in heaven!

It is [emoji2] I found this blog about places to visit, eat and drink in Virginia and particularly, this page, which describes places to go from the exits off of I-81, the highway that goes down the backbone of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I forgot that we also toured Woodrow Wilson's home in Staunton one year. Beautiful house and grounds: https://blog.virginia.org/2016/04/4-shenandoah-national-parks-entrances/

Ah, baseball. I like it, but DH is a faithful Detroit Tigers fan. There's a minor-league team in Norfolk that we go see every so often. DH was an umpire in college and, after that, for Little League for several years. We saw the Tigers in Baltimore one year. Love the stadium there.

Sounds like a great honeymoon :wub:

Last edited:
I'm getting so excited!

I've spent most of this afternoon researching places to feed us in some these other REALLY small towns that we're hoping to go to.

I'm thinking that there's still "Blue Laws"--- it's a darn good thing that I always travel with my own! I forget where we where, but the entire town was "dry"---no alcohol was sold, and I was out! :glare: We traveled over a few towns and found only beer, no wine or hards.
;):rolleyes::ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I'm thinking that there's still "Blue Laws"--- it's a darn good thing that I always travel with my own! I forget where we where, but the entire town was "dry"---no alcohol was sold, and I was out! :glare: We traveled over a few towns and found only beer, no wine or hards.
;):rolleyes::ermm::ohmy:[emoji38]

You won't find that problem in Virginia, but Pennsylvania has some weird rules, for sure :ermm:

You won't find that problem in Virginia, but Pennsylvania has some weird rules, for sure :ermm:

PA is for sure!
The first time DH took me there, he was trying to explain State Liquor Stores me, completely foreign concept :LOL:

** OP's notes: Each and every family member had been calling us EVERY DAY since we made this decision. :LOL: They're all more excited about this then we are :ROFLMAO: **

I forget where we where, but the entire town was "dry"---no alcohol was sold, and I was out! :glare: We traveled over a few towns and found only beer, no wine or hards.
;):rolleyes::ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Ah, you might have been in North Texas, buckle of the Bible Belt and home of The Southern Baptist Church. Liquor, beer and wine laws very from city to city. Very few are 100-percent dry anymore, but you still need a program to keep up with the laws.

Of course, no packaged liquor can be sold on Sunday anywhere in Texas, and beer and wine can't be sold until after noon on Sundays. Liquor stores are required to close by 9PM.

Booze "by-the-drink" is available in most cities, these days, seven days a week. But, there are no "bars" here. A business can not make more than 50-percent of its revenue from alcohol.

The city of 175,000 people I live in allows booze by the drink, and you can buy beer and wine in grocery/convenience stores. I have to go to one of the neighboring cities to buy liquor -- but not on Sunday or after 9PM. :rolleyes:

CD :LOL:

Where DH's older Brother lives, in the back woods of West Virginia
(I can hear the banjos now :rolleyes: actually its a very nice area and neighbors-just very rural)
they have a "bar" ---
it's this "old lady's house that she has converted the front parlor into an establishment"... they have homemade Moonshine and pickled Ramps. :ohmy::ermm::LOL:
No really. Its a hoot! We go there with Dear BIL and his pals a coupla times whenever we go to visit.
I personally can only handle a sip or three of the hooch :wacko: , but the Ramps are delicious... Granny won't give me the recipe, oh well, no Wild Onions `round these parts. ;)

HEH!
I just thought of it!
We'll be going there from VA, I hope Granny has a new batch of Ramps. :yum:

Where DH's older Brother lives, in the back woods of West Virginia
(I can hear the banjos now :rolleyes: actually its a very nice area and neighbors-just very rural)
they have a "bar" ---
it's this "old lady's house that she has converted the front parlor into an establishment"... they have homemade Moonshine and pickled Ramps. :ohmy::ermm::LOL:

HEH!
I just thought of it!
We'll be going there from VA, I hope Granny has a new batch of Ramps. :yum:

Well, you can just stop in and see the Baldwin sisters, and enjoy some of "the recipe." :LOL:

CD

Back
Top Bottom