ISO tips for cleaning cookie sheets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
I've got two cookie sheets that I use on a weekly basis for pizzas, cookies, and other things. When they get dirty I seem to struggle to clean them. I'm not sure exactly of the dimensions, but they're too wide to sit nicely in the sink to scrub. They're too tall to put in the dishwasher. The best thing I can think to do is scrub the cookie sheet when it's flat on the counter. I scrub away, but then I have to clean the counter too.

Any suggestions for an easier clean up after pizza night?

When it comes to your cookie sheets, are you having a challenge with icky, cooked-on goop or...do you only have a problem with the natural discoloration of the surfaces because of the oils, etc. that, in my book, are part of the patina?

The cookie sheets and pizza pans we have have been in continuous use since 1968 and all they've ever gotten is a good, healthy scrubbing with either a Brillo-type pad and/or, in today's technology, a "green scrubbie."

Some areas of the pans, especially underneath, have a bit of a golden glow on them. As for the surfaces that come in contact with the food, with plenty of soap and water and some elbow grease, they're fine for, who knows, another 40+ years.

My thoughts are that as long as they are kept reasonably clean and perform as you expect, continue doing what you are doing.

Do you have a wash tub or bathtub? You could use either one to wash your cookie sheets. I've been known to use the bathtub to clean large things that don't fit in the sink or dishwasher.

I've got two cookie sheets that I use on a weekly basis for pizzas, cookies, and other things. When they get dirty I seem to struggle to clean them. I'm not sure exactly of the dimensions, but they're too wide to sit nicely in the sink to scrub. They're too tall to put in the dishwasher. The best thing I can think to do is scrub the cookie sheet when it's flat on the counter. I scrub away, but then I have to clean the counter too.

What about avoiding the cleaning altogether by putting a sheet of baking prchment or metal foil on the cookie sheet so the mess goes on that rather than the cookie sheets. Then throw it away.

Last edited:
I agree with Katie H.

At my house I'm all about patina! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

If they are plain steel pans take them outside and spray them with the hose, squirt them with oven cleaner and then scrub the gunk off. They will clean up some but not totally. IMHO you would be better off using your time to make pizza and cookies, life is too short to waste it scrubbing pans!

I have some full sheet baking pans and they don't fit in my sink or dishwasher. I cover them with foil, bake, remove the foil, stand them in the sink on one of their corners and give them a swish with warm soapy water, ditto rinse, I'm done. I've used the same baking sheets for over 30 years and don't care if they look gleaming new.

I must be Old Vine's nearest cousin. Can't recall washing a cookie sheet in years. Nor does my DxW. Nor did my MIL. When in doubt, use parchment paper as a liner if there is likely to be any melty sugar, which will carmelize and or burn on successive/ repeated bakings, or chocolate or fruit fillings that might ooze or burn and certainly not mixing in any garlic/ olive oil/ spicy herbs/ roasting veggies touching the cookie sheet pans. Since who knows what the next recipe to bake may be. Use a spatula to scrape the crumbs and wipe with a paper towel while still warm. That's the most attention I give my cookie sheets. Looks as good as they do after their first time out of the gate and into the oven a bazillion years ago.

Now, I have 2 heavy gauge restaurant type lipped pans. Good for setting the holiday turkey or roast to rest before carving. They go down to the laundry tubs along with the roasting pan and anything else over sized for washing up. I keep a jelly roll style pan for pizza making and roasting veggies and it gets washed up, it's not as large as my cookie sheets and I can use 9 X 13 pyrex pans for roasting veggies as well. So not mingling flavors. Which is important. Now a days, I really only make cookies once or twice a year and therefore they should display their own deliicious flavors, not chance to mix and match.

Not sure which pans to use if I should ever make parmesan crusted thumbprints with hot pepper jelly in the middle. Or homemade cheese-its or gold fish. :angel:

Last edited:

Put a tea towel (drying cloth) that's ready for the washing machine down on the counter then put your sheet on top to scrub it. When you've done throw the towel in the WM. Voila - clean counter!

Put a tea towel (drying cloth) that's ready for the washing machine down on the counter then put your sheet on top to scrub it. When you've done throw the towel in the WM. Voila - clean counter!

I think this is the route I'll go. Sounds like it will work out well for my counters.

I also agree with Katie H. My baking sheets long ago gave up their shine. I have sheet pans that fit my Wolf Stove oven and I just stand them on a corner in the sink. It does help that I can use the sprayer on the faucet. The pans don't care if they are shiny as long as they are clean, we're all happy.

Shiny cookie sheets? What are those. I have had mine for it seems like eons. The edges get a quick swipe with Brillo. The rest of the sheet I get any food that may have stuck on. That is very seldom. Over the years they seemed to have become non-stick on their own. And I leave them alone with just a quick wash with hot soapy water and a good rinse. Like Kate, they have develop a patina and I wouldn't mess with that for any reason. Now the underside. Don't look. I think that is just part of their charm. And I don't cook any food on the underside. So I don't care.

If I am going to use the sheets for any cooking as to baking, I cover the pan with heavy duty foil. No mess to clean up.

I refuse to spend the last years of my life cleaning and scrubbing needlessly. :angel:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom