ISO your best seafood recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
i purchased some easy-peel jumbo shrimp, bay scallops, clams, Pollock fillets, and squid. I'm looking for an epic seafood recipe using these ingredients. It can be a chowder, bisque, Asian preparation, Mediterranean, i.e. Greek, Italian, French, Spanish. A pasta dish might be nice, with a creamy sauce, or Something Filipino, a pho, or just about anything. we have some amazing cooks here on DC. I will shy away from an aspic, though I enjoy them. I don't think it would go over well with the rest of the family.

What's your goto seafood dinner when you want to impress, and enjoy something really above average, of course using the ingredients i have? It needs to be something cooked with heat, no a ceviche, or sashimi.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have two, count 'em two, special seafood recipes, both of which I purloined from San Francisco restaurants.

First up, Mahi-Mahi in coconut caramel sauce from the now defunct Ana Mandara restaurant in Ghirardelli Square:

Mahi-Mahi in Coconut Caramel Sauce
Ingredients:
4 mahi-mahi fillets, 6oz each
½ cup all-purpose flour
Marinade
¼ cup sesame oil
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup lite soy sauce
¼ cup hoi sin sauce
2 tsp turbinado or demerara sugar
1 Tbs chili garlic sauce
2 tsp Chinese five spice
1 tsp ground ginger
Sauce
2 cups turbinado or demerara sugar
1½ cups coconut milk
3 Tbs Asian fish sauce
¼ cup minced shallots
1 Tbs minced fresh ginger
1 tsp garlic, minced
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
Fresh ground black pepper
2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced very thin
Instructions:
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients together. Put the mahi-mahi fillets into a large zippered plastic bag. Pour in the marinade, squeeze out the air, zip the bag closed and allow the mahi-mahi to marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours. Remove the mahi-mahi from the bag, pat it dry with paper towels and discard the marinade.
Dredge the fillets in flour and grill them, turning once, until they flake easily with a fork.
Place the sugar in a 10-inch frying pan over medium heat. Whisk the sugar until it is melted and dark amber colored, 3 to 5 minutes. Add ½ cup coconut milk to the melted sugar; the mixture will bubble vigorously. Stir the mixture over medium heat until the caramelized sugar is completely dissolved. Add the fish sauce, shallots, ginger, garlic, and remaining coconut milk and stir over medium-high heat until the sauce is the desired thickness. Pour the sauce over the plated fish fillets, then garnish each one with green onions and add fresh ground black pepper to taste.

Next up: Snapper Romano, which I changed to Pesce Romano because sometimes red snapper is hard to find, from Scoma's Restaurant on Fisherman's Wharf:

Pesce Romano
Ingredients:
Fish

4 firm fleshed fish fillets
2 Tbs light olive oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp granulated garlic
salt and fresh ground black pepper
Sauce
1 tsp garlic, minced
½ tsp lemon juice
2 Tbs butter, cubed and slightly chilled
2 Tbs Mushroom, sliced
2 Tbs yellow onion, sliced
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup cocktail shrimp, cooked, deveined, tails off
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 250o.
Dry the fillets with paper towels. In a small bowl, add salt, pepper, onion powder and granulated garlic to the flour and whisk to combine.
In a sauté pan, heat the oil over medium high until shimmering. Dredge fillets in flour mixture and sauté until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove the fish to an oven safe plate and place in the 250o oven to keep warm.
Reduce the heat to medium, Add onion and sauté until soft. Add the garlic, mushrooms and Italian seasoning and sauté an additional 45 to 60 seconds. Remove the pan from the heat, add the lemon juice and butter, and swirl the pan until butter just melts. Add the tomato sauce and bring it to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat, add shrimp and stir to heat through. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.

GG, I just read that recipe thru.
I understand the long cooking time for the calamari, (it needs either really quick cooking or very long cooking) but I don't understand the extra 10 minutes for the shell fish! WHY? He's already steamed and cooked them!

To my way of thinking, that would make them horribly rubbery! I have accidently overcooked all of those things at one time or another. I try very very hard not to anymore. I'd rather have overcooked pasta than overcooked shell fish.

When I have had leftover mussels (or shrimp/clams) to have for another meal, I separate them for storage (fridge or freeze). I reheat the sauce and then just add the meats back to stir in and serve. Residual heat is enough for them. Otherwise the meats just get rubbery!

GG, I just read that recipe thru.

I understand the long cooking time for the calamari, (it needs either really quick cooking or very long cooking) but I don't understand the extra 10 minutes for the shell fish! WHY? He's already steamed and cooked them!

To my way of thinking, that would make them horribly rubbery! I have accidently overcooked all of those things at one time or another. I try very very hard not to anymore. I'd rather have overcooked pasta than overcooked shell fish.

When I have had leftover mussels (or shrimp/clams) to have for another meal, I separate them for storage (fridge or freeze). I reheat the sauce and then just add the meats back to stir in and serve. Residual heat is enough for them. Otherwise the meats just get rubbery!
Lol, no idea. I think I picked the recipe based on the ingredients rather than the method. I'd make the entire sauce and then cook the seafood for just a few minutes till it's just done and then serve.

This is my go-to recipe for shrimp, scallops, cod, haddock, etc...

Place seafood in a shallow oven to table casserole, season with S&P, drizzle with melted butter, mix Ritz cracker crumbs with remaining melted butter, top the seafood with crumbs, and bake in a 350-425 preheated oven for 12 to 20 minutes depending on the temperature of the oven and the thickness of the fish.

You can add a splash of white wine or a squeeze of lemon juice but I never seem to have them on hand.

It ain't fancy, but they always lick the dish! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Seafood is my jam. Love all kinds of seafood and have been fortunate to live and cook in regions of the US that have had access to tremendous varieties of fresh seafood. I've always loved to cook and eat seafood because it's so versatile and can meld with so many different flavors.

I dunno if this is my best, but it's one of the most recent dishes I've made at home borrowing some of techniques and flavors from my former life LOL.

Seared Ahi Tataki with Spicy Guac, Ponzu Beurre Blanc, Sweet Soy-Mustard Emulsion

Attachments

• Ahi.jpg
    Ahi.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Seafood is my jam. Love all kinds of seafood and have been fortunate to live and cook in regions of the US that have had access to tremendous varieties of fresh seafood. I've always loved to cook and eat seafood because it's so versatile and can meld with so many different flavors.

I dunno if this is my best, but it's one of the most recent dishes I've made at home borrowing some of techniques and flavors from my former life LOL.

Seared Ahi Tataki with Spicy Guac, Ponzu Beurre Blanc, Sweet Soy-Mustard Emulsion

DUDE!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom