It's Natn'l Bacon Day ~ 12/30/2020 ~ What Are You Crisping Up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Natnl Bacon Day.jpg

For sure I'm making a big ole pan of oven roasted
BACON
later on today and we'll be having Club House Sandwiches
and Soup for our supper.

BACON.jpg

What's gettin' crisped up at your place?

My kind of day. Better than Christmas :pig::pig:
It's cold outside. Frost is everywhere.

Seared cubed pork steaks with a touch of bacon grease, smoked paprika, garlic and black pepper.
Deglaze the pan add a touch of caramelized onions. Then let it simmer until it's tender.

Make some gravy and serve it with rice.
Top it off with chopped up baked apple wood bacon.
My sons call it the "Cardiac Diet." :LOL::ROFLMAO: They would. :huh:

This is more like it! I heard something ridiculous this morning, and this is proof that there is a national day for everything! It's also
National Baking Soda Day! Huh?? So what's this for, to get everyone to change those dishes of baking soda in their fridges?:LOL:

I had already gotten out a frozen packet of bacon, to use in some soup later, before I knew it was National bacon day.

I'll be cooking bacon later to add to my dips.

I'm making my salads etc for New Year's so not sure what dinner will be.

Planned on chicken thighs and potato salad but, its snowing so, menu change to tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. Because of this "day" I added cooked bacon to the sandwiches.

More choc cake for later.

Ross

We had a country omelette with Feta and chopped scallion. Whole grain toast to go with it. There will probably be some bruschetta later.

I was considering a BLT and soup but didn't have any lettuce so I ended up with another meal of Shredded Beef Ragu with Tagliatelle and a glass of red.

Smothered chicken (onion gravy) with mashies and country green beans again.

Attachments

• 2020-12-30 17.54.37.jpg
    2020-12-30 17.54.37.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 66
I don't add bacon to a whole lot of stuff when I'm cooking. But I do adore my BLT sandwiches and I often make BLT wraps as well. To my BLT wraps, I always add a favorite ingredient of mine that I eat practically every day in some form or another - onions.

My son tells me I'm going to turn into an onion one day :LOL:

Marie Callendar Turkey pot pie.

I have a special love for those things. Even the little Banquet pot pies. Pot pies are total comfort food to me, which is why I occasionally make a homemade chicken pot pie, crust from scratch. It's heaven on a plate (or a bowl, depending on what I put it in).

As for the subject of bacon, for dinner tonight I'm going to make a BLT to have with my homemade split pea soup that I'm tossing leftover Christmas ham into.

Here's that soup I made, with the bacon. I had a pound of mushrooms I needed to use, so I made some mushroom barley soup. The cream color in it was the half cup or so of crema I had in the jar, and I wanted to make another pint of it, so I just emptied the jar! It actually added a really good flavor, that I don't usually put in it.

I went out to get a couple of leeks from the garden, and the top 3/4 or so of ground was frozen!
Bacon mushroom barley soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Been making my own bacon lately. It is surprisingly easy and so much different and better. I take a slab of raw belly,, cure it in salts and spices for a week in a plastic bag in the fridge, then wash it off, you can then slow roast it in your oven until it hits 160 or I have a mini chief smoker that I use. If you do ut in your oven you can add liquid smoke during the curing process to get the smoky flavour. Then, in the fridge it goes over night and is ready to slice, cook and freeze the next day. I have been slicing it all and shrink wrapping it in packets of 6 slices.

Last edited:
Been making my own bacon lately. It is surprisingly easy and so much different and better. I take a slab of raw belly,, cure it in salts and spices for a week in a plastic bag in the fridge, then wash it off, you can then slow roast it in your oven until it hits 160 or I have a mini chief smoker that I use. If you do ut in your oven you can add liquid smoke during the curing process to get the smoky flavour. Then, in the fridge it goes over night and is ready to slice, cook and freeze the next day. I have been slicing it all and shrink wrapping it in packets of 6 slices.

I would really consider doing this, if I had a meat slicer that worked.

Back
Top Bottom