I've done something pretty silly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

licia

Executive Chef
I had two turkeys that I really need to cook. I pulled one of them out of the freezer and the weight tag had fallen off. I guess it is about 12 lbs - the size I usually buy. After thawing and preparing it for cooking, I didn't take note of the time I put it in the oven so I will just have to test it to see when it is done. I suppose the reason for all this, dh brought home a pile of green peanuts and we were preparing them to boil and that probably took my mind off of the turkey. I suppose I'm getting to the point that I may not be able to do two things at one time.:wacko:

:ROFLMAO: I do this all the time!!!
Half the time I don't remember to set my timer or look at the clock. Just have to keep looking at it and checking the temp inside. And btw, if you were also talking and preparing the peanuts...then you were doing 3 things at once!:LOL:

Glad to know I'm not alone in these instances. Usually I'm preparing the turkey for a meal immediately coming up, but this one I'm serving cold on Labor day. I don't usually have every burner and the oven going this time of the year.

I never cook any meat by timing it. I use a meat thermometer. And before I broke it, I used one that connected to a little transmitting device that alerted me via its other half worn on my belt. That way, I could do a gazillion other things and not have to worry about timeing the meat, turkey or otherwise. Besides, timing gives unpredictable results. Get yourself a good meat thermometer, and if you can afford the 20 to 30 bucks, get a digital one, with a remote sender. You will thank yourself a thousand times.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

licia,

you are not alone:LOL: JUst remember to never walk away from a pot boiling on the stove full of eggs:sick: I did it, believe me it is not nice!!! It was the first time in my life and hopefully the last:LOL: Pan ruined, black smoke all over and the SMELL yukkity yuk..
kademsa a kindred spirit

I've done many a dumb thing in the kitchen by not paying attention. The worst though...putting cinnamon rolls in the oven and leaving them for ???? hours. When I took them out they were still a pretty color....but hard as a rock! Yet....they still looked beautiful! So I eased them out of the pan...no I plopped them out of the pan...lol....then I put shellack (sp?) on them! Put them in a showcase where they sat for 3 years still looking pretty!

KAYLINDA said:
I've done many a dumb thing in the kitchen by not paying attention. The worst though...putting cinnamon rolls in the oven and leaving them for ???? hours. When I took them out they were still a pretty color....but hard as a rock! Yet....they still looked beautiful! So I eased them out of the pan...no I plopped them out of the pan...lol....then I put shellack (sp?) on them! Put them in a showcase where they sat for 3 years still looking pretty!
Kaylinda,
they sound like some of the doorstops I've baked :ROFLMAO:
Kadesma

I also swear by a meat thermometer; however, you do need to know when to start taking they poor guy's temperature. Believe me, I've done this more times than I can count. Then there are people who ask me how I cooked something ... and I haven't a clue. They think I'm being coy or "hiding" my recipes, when I usually cook on auto-pilot. Even when I do use a "recipe", I usually pull out 2-4 cookbooks and use several recipes to give me ideas, and still don't measure or time. Hey, it's a gift! lol!! When it comes to turkey I look up a general time frame when I put it in the oven, then when close to the time (say a half hour before), start taking its temp. Overcooked turkey isn't that bad, just make more gravy or broth to soak it in! Undercooked is inedible.

The turkey turned out beautifully. I stuffed him (her) with celery, onion, lemon and lime, poured olive oil all over and seasoned with garlic salt. It is very moist and tastes great. I'm sure my family will enjoy it today.

Claire said:
I also swear by a meat thermometer; however, you do need to know when to start taking they poor guy's temperature. Believe me, I've done this more times than I can count. Then there are people who ask me how I cooked something ... and I haven't a clue. They think I'm being coy or "hiding" my recipes, when I usually cook on auto-pilot. Even when I do use a "recipe", I usually pull out 2-4 cookbooks and use several recipes to give me ideas, and still don't measure or time. Hey, it's a gift! lol!! When it comes to turkey I look up a general time frame when I put it in the oven, then when close to the time (say a half hour before), start taking its temp. Overcooked turkey isn't that bad, just make more gravy or broth to soak it in! Undercooked is inedible.

Yup!:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom