Jamaican French toast.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kali-Ann G

Assistant Cook
Jah bless all,

OK man so me think about everyone heard off French toast. But not like this man!!!!
This fantastic me serve it with a little ice-cream but you can serve with anything you like. Jamaican food not all about heat we enjoy a treat also.

So we go man,

bread (at least day old)
2 large eggs
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

2 tablespoon brown sugar (I used golden brown)
1- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 tablespoon butter
2 bananas (sliced)
1 passion fruit
1/4 teaspoon ginger (powder)
pinch salt
2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 1/2 tablespoon butter + coconut oil

In a bowl whisk the eggs, 1 cup coconut milk, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon (you can add a pinch of salt if you want also). Then slice the bread about 3/4-1 inch thick and cover/soak with this mixture. Allow it to really soak in (I recommend using old bread as it will soak in the ‘batter’ better). Set aside and then make the Caramel Passion-fruit topping.
It a good move to use non-stick pot for this man. Me use a pan but you can use a frypan.
OK so you need a dry pot, heat and add the sugar man. Let it melt and wait for it to go amber brown colour and start a nice froth. Do not let it burn man the sauce will go bitter and nasty man. Now is time to add the coconut milk and use a whisk to keep it moving.
Now add the ginger and a pinch off salt if you want to. Now add the passion fruit pulps and sliced banana, make sure the banana coated all over man.
Now keep it moving for 5 minute then add the maple syrup and butter man.
Toast the soaked bread slices, me use a non-stick fry pan for this, add butter and oil, then toast the bread on both side, keep turning so it cook all way through man.

Put a slice on the plate and add some of the sauce, add another layer and so on. Put a small scooping of ice-cream and you good to go man.

It sticky and sweet my children love this man.

Jah bless,

Kali-Ann

Oh my... how yummy!

Copied and saved for when family visit!

ps
Kali-Ann, I must say you give beautiful explanations and details for your recipes, Thank You!

Last edited:
Oh my... how yummy!

Copied and saved for when family visit!

ps
Kali-Ann, I must say you give beautiful explanations and details for your recipes, Thank You!

Thank you dragnlaw,

Me quite surprise that people seem to like what me post, Jamaican food is no well understood. To be honest me try to paint a picture of what it is man and me try to avoid confusion.

Jah bless

Kali-Ann

Thank you dragnlaw,

Me quite surprise that people seem to like what me post, Jamaican food is no well understood. To be honest me try to paint a picture of what it is man and me try to avoid confusion.

Jah bless

Kali-Ann

and you are doing an excellent job of it! :LOL:

and you are doing an excellent job of it! :LOL:

Thank you man!,
Me never do this before so me was a little worried. My husband tell me do it, me glad he did. At this rate everyone will be talking Patois and growing them dreads man!!!! :LOL:
Serious though my culture and food very important to me it is who me am, the food me grew with make me the woman me are, me teach my daughter to she cook the same way and man her husband think she is the lick man and he is Dutch!!

Jah bless

Kali-Ann

I made this today, with some minor changes, and it was delicious. I cooked a scant cup of dried pigeon peas (the end of the jar) of with the same amount of dried black eyed peas in the Instant Pot, using the soaker method with some baking soda, rinsing, then cooking for 15 min. under pressure - they got a little overcooked, because I was out in my garden too long! lol So I just cooked the rice and other ingredients in the Instant Pot, using that huge scallion chopped up in place of the onion and scallions in the recipe. I used 2 habaneros - gave it that great aroma, but no heat, so I stirred about a half tsp of ground habanero, and got some heat, plus more flavor - next time, I'll mince one of them. I stirred in the coconut milk, and the cooked beans, stirred to heat up, and that was it. It was delicious! I didn't make that goat curry to have with it, but I had some frozen Indian curry, which I heated up, and it went very well with it - similar to some of the Keralan rice and dal sides I've made, with the coconut milk.
A huge scallion! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cooked pigeon peas and black eyed peas, for Jamaican rice and peas. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Jamaican rice and peas. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Stupid me - I mis-posted this! I can't move it, but maybe one of the site administrators will more it to the Jamaican Rice and peas thread.

Stupid me - I mis-posted this! I can't move it, but maybe one of the site administrators will more it to the Jamaican Rice and peas thread.

Jah bless you man,

Me have to say it look good man! Me glad you make it, and you do a good job. As me say man there is big difference between what available in take away and certain restaurants and what eaten at home.

Jah bless

Kali-Ann

Try sending a PM to one. There are several blue bars at the top of this page. One of them has "Community". At the bottom of that pull down menu it says, "Meet Our Staff". You can find the names there.

I was reading your post and thinking, you didn't change it a little, this is going to be some crazy French toast. :grin:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom