Japanese beetles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
These beetles are invading everything. :mad: Hubby has put out some beetle traps and they fill up quickly.

I hate critters, even the good ones, except Lady Bugs. But even another impersonator, damaging beetle, impersonates them and is damaging.
Anyway, I just looked up your critters on wikipedia, 'cause I know I've never had this problem, and didn't know if they were outside or in.
Guess what, they start as grubs, and we do have them, but our (worse problem) armadillos dig up the lawn and take care of them. That's the armadillo diet.
I checked; Japanese beetle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and they say the"trap attracts more beetles than it traps, thus causing more damage...were the trap not used".
Then a bunch of interesting stuff, and then,
"natural repellents". I like deterents better than removal.
Touchy, feely bugs, no way!

What do you have that is attracting them?
Do you and the area get them every year?
Thank Japan and your neighbor, New Jersey.

Yik! Good luck.

I hate critters, even the good ones, except Lady Bugs. But even another impersonator, damaging beetle, impersonates them and is damaging.
Anyway, I just looked up your critters on wikipedia, 'cause I know I've never had this problem, and didn't know if they were outside or in.
Guess what, they start as grubs, and we do have them, but our (worse problem) armadillos dig up the lawn and take care of them. That's the armadillo diet.
I checked; Japanese beetle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and they say the"trap attracts more beetles than it traps, thus causing more damage...were the trap not used".
Then a bunch of interesting stuff, and then,
"natural repellents". I like deterents better than removal.
Touchy, feely bugs, no way!

Yik! Good luck.

we have lots of trees . I prefer deterrents too. I had wondered about those traps, it did seem like more beetles were showing up. I guess I ought to research some other way to deter them if I can at this stage.

I won't use Sevin Dust, it is poison for birds which are near the affected trees and plants.

There's a product called Milky Spore composed of a bacteria which is a pathogen to the beetle larvae. Here's a link: Milky Spore

Also, Sevin dust is pretty non-toxic to animals but will kill all bugs harmful or beneficial (especially bees) but if you're careful with it, it works like a charm, IMHO.

Exactly what are Japanese Beetles??? The ones we called Japanese beetles as a kid were these black and white bugs that inhabited cotton wood trees.

As kids, we would capture these bugs, take them one at a time and put them on the hood of a hot car to make them fly, then beat them down with boards and bats. (I know.. sick sick sick!!!)

As kids, we would capture these bugs, take them one at a time and put them on the hood of a hot car to make them fly, then beat them down with boards and bats. (I know.. sick sick sick!!!)

sattie, too much time on your hands!

LadyCook, any kids in the neighborhood? !?!?

Yeah! We have a unusual infestation of beetles this year! Due to the warm winter we had here!

My DH takes a bunch of tin cans, fills them with old rags, then he adds about 1/2 cup of kerosene to the can o rags; covers the top loosely with tin foil to keep out the rain water, which would spill out the kero, and then places them around the plantings!

A lot of bugs don't fly around the area of those stinky kerosene rags, and it keeps down the Japanese Beetles! :LOL:
Oh! Just a little hint! Don't let a beetly fly in your ear. If they do, they will bite and eat, and dig further than you can imagine. Wear a little cotton in the ears when working in the garden! The only way to get one of those critters out, is at the ER.
Believe you me! What? Huh? What did ya say?

I just sprayed for those guys today! I saw one on my roses the other day so I picked him up and threw him over the fence....uh didn't work, him and a friend came back! He showed me! I also started seeing black spots on my roses so I bought something that said it was good for both and also safe for roses house plants and veggies....we'll see

I thought I read that those darn Japanese beetles were brought into this country by N. Carolina to eat the aphids. They reproduce quickly and they bite. We have had them here but not so many this year.

A few years back a neighbor had a window in her home replaced and when the workman took out the old window frame there were numerous dead Japanese beetles stuffed in around the window opening. Yech.

well I guess the spray didnt work.....there was four times the amount today....and they started diving for my head! HELP!!!

Back
Top Bottom