Jellied Cranberry Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I shore do! Here's a many, many times tried and true version that you can jazz up if you wish. Makes a beautiful clear sauce that my oldest prefers over any thing else.

Cranberry Jelly Sauce

4 cups fresh cranberries (1 pound)
2 cups water
2 cups sugar

Combine the cranberries and water in a large, heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for half an hour or so until the cranberries are all softened. Remove from heat and mash the cranberries in the pot. Then strain through a sieve (or several layers of cheesecloth) to remove the juice and finer bits of pulp. (Let the stuff drain for about an hour.)

Return the juice to the saucepan and bring back to a rolling boil for about five minutes. Add the sugar, stirring well to dissolve, and continue to boil for about 15-20 minutes until the mixture reaches 220-225 degrees (F) on your candy thermometer, or until a drop of the mixture dropped onto a cool plate will gel.

Pour into sterile pint jars and process for ten minutes in a water bath canner, or pour into a mold and refridgerate.

This is the pure cranberry version. One may certainly add a small amount of cloves (1/4 tsp.) or cinnamon (1/2 tsp.), etc. Also, you can remove 1 cup of the strained juice and substitute 1 cup of apple juice or orange juice, as well! There are a myriad of variations limited only by creativity.

Thank you Audeo, I have tried before on my own to make the jelly sauce which I love and well, it turned out that I ended up buying the canned. The secret is probably the timing of cooking, thank you very much.

Your welcome, deb. This basic recipe duplicates the clear cranberry sauce in cans in terms of taste and gel. I hope it works well for you!

Back
Top Bottom