Juice from limes and lemons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
Is there a 'secret' to getting more juice from lemons and limes? Or am I just plagued with buying from stores that sell 'old' or non-juicy ones?

I see demos where the cook is squeezing a lemon and the juice just pours out! Admittedly I don't have the hand strength, but I do use a lemon squeezer.

The last limes I bought (and they weren't cheap) looked fine when cut open but didn't produce much juice.

To me, the "secret" is twofold.

First, you have to pick the right citrus. I look for lemons and limes that are somewhat thin-skinned, feel heavy, and have some give when squeezed. If it doesn't have any give, it means that the fruit isn't fully ripe and there won't be much juice. The key with limes is to choose fruit that has a yellowish tinge. Believe it or not, ripe limes are not bright green.

The second secret is exactly what you mention. I take the heel of my palm and roll the fruit on a cutting board while applying some pressure. This helps break down the cell membranes to release the juice.

Last edited:
What Steve said.

Also, after rolling the fruit, I pop them into the microwave for 10-20 seconds (10 for limes, 20 for lemons) the heating also helps release the juice.

To me, the "secret" is twofold.

First, you have to pick the right citrus. I look for lemons and limes that are somewhat thin-skinned, feel heavy, and have some give when squeezed. If it doesn't have any give, it means that the fruit isn't fully ripe. The key with limes is to choose fruit that has a yellowish tinge. Believe it or not, ripe limes are not green.

The second secret is exactly what you mention. I take the heel of my palm and roll the fruit on a cutting board while applying some pressure. This helps break down the cell membranes to release the juice.

Thanks! About limes----- the stores that I buy at usually have nothing but bright green limes so that's part of the problem. Will they ripen more at home---- and produce more juice that way?

Same with lemons----- most of them have a thick skin (sigh) and are 'hard'. Rolling the the fruit might help. I'll try that.

What Steve said.

Also, after rolling the fruit, I pop them into the microwave for 10-20 seconds (10 for limes, 20 for lemons) the heating also helps release the juice.

Thanks! They won't explode in the MW, will they?:ermm: Another trick from the experts gratefully received.

No, they won't. Just get them a little warm, do not incinerate.

Thanks. Just had a thought----- I used to put a fruit (can't remember which one) in a paper sack with an apple. Supposedly the apple emits a type of gas that promotes ripening.

Would that, could that, possibly help?

Last edited:
Thanks. Just had a thought----- I used to put a fruit (can't remember which one) in a paper sack with an apple. Supposedly the apple emits a type of gas that promotes ripening.

Would that, could that, possibly help?

I don't know it that rapid ripening trick works for citrus. Also, I don't think ripeness is always the problem with citrus juicing.

No, it won't. It's ethylene gas from apples you're thinking of; it can help ripen many fruits. But lemons and limes don't continue to ripen after they're picked.

Choosing the right ones, warming, rolling and using a squeezer - I use all of these methods to get the most juice. Sometimes they're just not very juicy.

Last edited:
Thanks! About limes----- the stores that I buy at usually have nothing but bright green limes so that's part of the problem. Will they ripen more at home---- and produce more juice that way?

Same with lemons----- most of them have a thick skin (sigh) and are 'hard'. Rolling the the fruit might help. I'll try that.
Unfortunately, I suspect a lot of stores buy slightly underripe fruit because it's brighter colored and looks prettier. :ermm:

As mentioned above, once citrus is picked, it doesn't continue to ripen.

O.K.---- I get the idea, sort of. Not to argue, because this may have nothing to do with my problem, but years ago on the estate we were care-taking there was a freeze predicted and the owners picked all the green (but fully grown) lemons from the smallish Eureka tree they had.

They brought them into their house more as decoration than anything else and they all turned yellow. I copped a few and did get some juice from them but admittedly not very much.

Meyer lemons are often not available everywhere but I'm lucky enough to have a tree in my yard. When picked ripe they seem to give about four times the juice of a common Eureka lemon.

Last edited:
Meyer lemons are often not available everywhere but I'm lucky enough to have a tree in my yard. When picked ripe they seem to give about four times the juice of a common Eureka lemon.

I love Meyer lemons too (used to have a tree/bush). But they aren't as acidic as a Eureka lemon. I don't think they travel well either, which is probably the reason you can't buy them at many stores.

They make great lemon juice----- and you don't have to add as much sugar in them.

O.K.---- I get the idea, sort of. Not to argue, because this may have nothing to do with my problem, but years ago on the estate we were care-taking there was a freeze predicted and the owners picked all the green (but fully grown) lemons from the smallish Eureka tree they had.

They brought them into their house more as decoration than anything else and they all turned yellow. I copped a few and did get some juice from them but admittedly not very much.

Changing color doesn't necessarily indicate ripening. In order to ripen, some, but not all, fruits or veggies need to still be connected to the plant in order to continue receiving nutrients from it.

Changing color doesn't necessarily indicate ripening. In order to ripen, some, but not all, fruits or veggies need to still be connected to the plant in order to continue receiving nutrients from it.

Got it. There wasn't much juice from those lemons----- but they were free! :)

One thing I do (if I'm too lazy to pull out the juicer) is after I cut the lime or lemon in half, I insert a fork into the center of the fruit and twist the fork as I squeeze the fruit. I use a narrow fork (was my mom's from an ancient set) but I think a regular dinner fork would work too.

I love Meyer lemons too (used to have a tree/bush). But they aren't as acidic as a Eureka lemon. I don't think they travel well either, which is probably the reason you can't buy them at many stores.

They make great lemon juice----- and you don't have to add as much sugar in them.

They travel fine...I got some shipped from CA from a friend!

Moisture in all fruits is dependant on the moisture that the fruit body absorbs from the parent plant. In citrus, as with most fruit, there has to be a ballance to insure the best fruit quality. Too much water will dilute the fruit flavor, and in some fruits, and most berries, can damage the fruit. Too little water will create stunted growth, and a frier fruit.

One fruit is picked, there is no more water absorbed into the fruit. Ripening of fruits that do ripen after being picked, often makes the fruit juice more accessible. In most ripening processes, the fruit starches convert into sugar, which combines with the water, and produces a softer pulp. Think of the avocado. When underipe, it is hard, and has much less flavor. As it ripens, it develops a softer texture and more pronounced flavor. It does not get juicier. In fruits like plumbs, the inner meat, as the fruit becomes more ripe, begins to break down, releasing the natural juices contained withon the cell walls to float freely inside the skin. The fruit seems juicier, but still contains the same amount of water that it had wehn less ripe.

Your citrus will not get juicier if allowed to ripen. They will get sweeter, when ripened on the tree.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

What Steve said.

I do it the other way 'round. I nuke and then roll. I'm sure my way is far better. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom