Just bought a convection oven-need help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glitterchi

Assistant Cook
hi there everyone,
I just bought a convection oven and really unsure about what to do-I heard it speeds up cooking? Any pointers on cook times, etc...
Happy cooking...

Converting Recipies for Convection Ovens

glitterchi - as I don't have a convection oven (sigh) I have hunted up some information for you -

Converting Recipes for Convection Ovens
Most recipes can be converted for a convection oven.

Follow the specific instructions given by your oven manufacturer, keeping these general guidelines in mind.

When converting recipes from conventional to convection, use the temperature and time from the original recipe as a guideline, checking for doneness after three-quarters of the baking time has elapsed. Or, the original baking temperature may be reduced by 25 degrees F in general. Open the oven door as little as possible during baking.

Because convection ovens offer superior results when browning and crisping foods, most recipes designed for convection ovens do not call for baking dishes to be covered. If you do use your convection oven to bake a standard recipe that calls for the dish to be covered, the temperature and time will likely be about the same. For covered long-baking recipes designed for a standard oven, you may reduce the temperature by 25 degrees F to 50 degrees F when using a convection oven.

Follow the user's manual for manufacturer's recommendations for preheating a convection oven. Be sure to position oven racks before you turn the oven on because they will heat up quickly.

To enable hot air to circulate around the food, place foods in the center of the oven; be sure to leave space between pans and oven walls.

Always test food a few minutes before the minimum cooking time has elapsed, using the doneness test given in the recipe. Keep in mind that even when food appears golden brown, it may not be completely done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does this help at all? Enjoy that oven!!

Well...

I own a convection hoven and what can I say is: keep it simple. Just cook your food only for 3/4 the time that the recipe said.

It might take a little time to get used to. In my case, the meat take a little longer than 3/4 the time of the recipe. Baked potatoes take less of the 3/4 time than the recipe. Baking cakes may take a little longer or a little bit less, it all depends of the recipe.

The better way, for me, was to check every now and then. After a little while I got the right time for all of it. And it's a litlle faster, yeap.

Back
Top Bottom