Just Sayin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do you feel about Brussels sprouts then? I've met more people who would have thrown those at their own moms than cauliflower.

Cauliflower-like it, but love it roasted! Broccoli-haven't met any I haven't liked.
Brussels sprouts-steamed are OK, roasted are better, but the best are lightly steamed and tossed with fried bacon (of course, horse poo would probably be good with bacon), mushrooms sauted in the bacon grease, and a little tarragon and garlic powder. So yummy the first day, but excellent the next day, even for breakfast. :yum:

This is it:

Attachments

• brussel sproutz.jpg
    brussel sproutz.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 166
How do you feel about Brussels sprouts then? I've met more people who would have thrown those at their own moms than cauliflower.

Cauliflower-like it, but love it roasted! Broccoli-haven't met any I haven't liked.
Brussels sprouts-steamed are OK, roasted are better, but the best are lightly steamed and tossed with fried bacon (of course, horse poo would probably be good with bacon), mushrooms sauted in the bacon grease, and a little tarragon and garlic powder. So yummy the first day, but excellent the next day, even for breakfast. :yum:

They are nice roasted and tossed with a warm bacon vinaigrette dressing.

The day after a meal including Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes try combining the two into a sort of bubble and squeak patty, fried in bacon grease until nice and crispy on the outside!

They are nice roasted and tossed with a warm bacon vinaigrette dressing.

The day after a meal including Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes try combining the two into a sort of bubble and squeak patty, fried in bacon grease until nice and crispy on the outside!

No they're not. They still taste like Brussels sprouts. :LOL: (Sorry, Aunt Bea).

Last edited:
Brussels sprouts are divine. Nobody in my house will touch them. I especially love Brussels sprouts potato soup! Reminds me a bit of Bubble and Squeak. Yummy!

I love me some cauliflower!

Cauliflower's only bad when it's growing out of your skin in sensitive places.
Please may I come and sit next to you in the pro-cauli corner? I like cauliflower too. Not much cop when you eat it just boiled but there's a lot you can do with it.

Brussels sprouts are divine. Nobody in my house will touch them. I especially love Brussels sprouts potato soup! Reminds me a bit of Bubble and Squeak. Yummy!
As a child I hated them but mother always put one on my plate and insisted I ate it. So glad she did. I love sprouts now. I think they are a grown-up thing but if you don't get used to them as a child you won't know later.

What I can't bear is kale. Nasty stuff. Used to be cattle food when I was a girl.

No matter what I do with it I can't make it even barely edible despite trying dozens of recipes by otherwise reliable cooks.

I think the best way to prepare cauliflower is to just cut it into florets and eat that way or with dip.

The more you do to cauliflower, the less good/worse it gets. But, I would probably enjoy it deep fried like in Roch's picture.

I love raw cauliflower. but I have had cooked cauliflower on more than one occasion that was awful. :yuk: Personally, I think cheese sauce just makes it worse.
I'm a confirmed cauli-lover but agree that it's awful when it's over-cooked. It needs to be "al dente". I like it raw or lightly cooked and the combination with cheese sauce and in soup and in veg curries and polonaise - steam or boil florets until lightly cooked. Heat butter in frying pan until slightly brown but NOT burnedstir I breadcrumbs, parsley and seasoning and stir round until breadcrumbs are crisp then spoon over the hot cauliflower and serve. :yum:

It has to be fresh though. By the time it's been three times round the country in a supermarket lorry cauli's lost all the charm it ever had. I buy it from my local independent greengrocer who goes to the wholesale market in Manchester at 5am every day.

Last edited:
I love a good kale, sausage and potato soup! Almost everything can taste good in a soup. One exception: dad used to make liverball soup (liver dumplings). It's a Czech thing and it is NOT good!

It's a good thing there are so many people who are willing to eat the cauliflower that Andy and I will not eat. Looks to me it is not going bad and the cauliflower growers are staying in business.
It's incredibly good for you - full of vitamins and minerals and very low in calories

Dip it in beer batter, and deep-fry it. That's done up here "In da UP", but not by me. I love it steamed, and dressed with a bit of dill, and maybe a little butter.

It's also fabulous in soups, and stir-fries.

As for the original topic - "Just Sayin'", substitute ocra, grits, or anything prepared with mint for the cauliflower.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Never tried battering and frying but it sounds good

It's incredibly good for you - full of vitamins and minerals and very low in calories

I can get my vitamins and minerals in other ways, why eat something I do not like???

I'm old enough that I do NOT have to eat things I do not like. I'll sit over here with my spinach, kale and asparagus.

I never had kale. Since I like everything else mentioned I probably shouldn't press things.

I really don't like cauliflower, people keep telling me how good it is roasted, and I may try it that way, but I'm not convinced that it will be good...

I really don't like cauliflower, people keep telling me how good it is roasted, and I may try it that way, but I'm not convinced that it will be good...

It's like a whole different vegetable when it's roasted and caramelized. Some people call it cauliflower popcorn! Cut it into florets, and toss with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper at 425 - 450 F until browned. Call me in the morning. :)

I never had kale. Since I like everything else mentioned I probably shouldn't press things.
You could try it with this recipe: Michael Symon's Orecchiette With Sausage & Swiss Chard - the chew - ABC.com. I've made this several times, using either kale or swiss chard. It's good both ways. Plus, with kielbasa in it, you can hardly tell there is something "good for you" like kale.

It's like a whole different vegetable when it's roasted and caramelized. Some people call it cauliflower popcorn! Cut it into florets, and toss with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper at 425 - 450 F until browned. Call me in the morning. :)
And give a generous sprinkle of freshly grated Parm over the thing when you take it out. Bueno! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom