Just so you guys know how heated the east/west Carolina

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bill, you have several of them in the recipes from John Mason. And I think Fatz posted some on this site.

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces has several (I think they are the same ones that John has, and maybe that Fatz posted).

And I always keep a bottle of Scotts around. It is good stuff. Even though it is made in the eastern part of NC, it is very similar in taste and look to a Lexington style 'dip' (as they call it there).

Thanks Chris. Since I've never tasted a vinager based sauce, I wanted a good reference to start with. Scotts is a good start, right? :-k

Excellent example. Now after you've tried it with your pulled pork, try mixing it with a little apple juice, and you'll be very close to my sauce.

Bill,
All I can tell you is I like it. Very similar to what I was used to growing up. It's got a little heat to it (in a good way). I think you will like it.

Capt'n,
In that picture of the plate of BBQ on the Scott's site... the only thing that was wrong was the slaw. Lexington places serve 'red' BBQ slaw (not to be confused with 'red' fish camp slaw), not cole slaw.

I truely think that is the biggest differnce between eastern and Lexington style NC BBQ. The sauces or dips are very similar in flavor. The slaw is way different.

yeah, I know, I'm just stirring up something to talk about.
There is a difference in the meat though. Shoulders in the west, whole hog in the east. That means some of chopped q is tenderloin and ham.
Most couldn't tell the difference, but there's a joint here in Myrtle Beach that only uses hams. I didn't think it would be juicy enough for me, but it was. He uses Cookshaks with hickory, but he chops it off the ham right when you order it, so it stay very moist.

yeppers, Little Pigs is indeed who I was referring to. Someone just told me Mr. Pit closed. They had 2 MIM grand championships. When folks come here, they want seafood, I guess.

hard to give a consensus, but calabash style is best found in Calabash. And there's nothing wrong with that. I like lightly breaded oysters, shrimp etc. a whole lot.

Murrells Inlet has tried to go a little more upscale. Places like Hot Fish Club, Divine Fish House, and Hanna's are excellent, and you won't find that type of place in Calabash.

Good tip....grab the local phone book, call the fish markets and ask them who they deliver to daily. 16 million people visit Myrtle Beach every year, and the vast majority couldn't tell Mrs. Paul's from Paul Prudhomme. Tourists flock to the many "all you can eat seafood buffets",
eating frozen, breaded seafood that they can get at Kroger. But it's all you can eat, so they think they're getting a bargain.

Most buffets will run you over 20 bucks, and for that same money, you can get a fabulous fresh seafood dish that still fills you up.

Yeah, I like going to Divine Fish House. And whatever is beside it. Bovines, I think. And a few others. There is (or was not too long ago) a little 'divey' place a little ways down from those two that my brother likes. He doesn't like to spend a lot on food. (more money for drinking and buying stuff)

Captain Morgan said:
Excellent example. Now after you've tried it with your pulled pork, try mixing it with a little apple juice, and you'll be very close to my sauce.
Got it a couple of days ago, Jim. Tastes pretty salty/vinegarey (spelling sucks tonight ~ can I say that?? :shock: ) but imagening how it would taste on pork, I'm looking forward to it!! HOWEVER... I will have to find another source 'cause I ain't payin' $12 for 2 16 oz. bottles again!!! :evil:

Now, can you help me out a little more with your formula?? :-D

well my mixture tonight has more to do with Jack Daniels, which is NOT a bourbon, so I'm not much help. I'll be back tomorrow. I've never actually mixed it with Scotts, but it depends a lot on how the pork is done....pulled, coarse chopped, fine chopped, or minced. The bigger the hunks, the more apple juice for me. Minced is a terrible way to do pork, and it dries out quickly. Those little tid bits need more vinegar imho.

Keep in mind, I am a unique individual about this. I like the sweet of the apple, but the hot pepper wang is number one.

Captain Morgan said:
... The bigger the hunks, the more apple juice for me. Minced is a terrible way to do pork, and it dries out quickly. Those little tid bits need more vinegar imho.

Keep in mind, I am a unique individual about this. I like the sweet of the apple, but the hot pepper wang is number one.
Gotcha! No chopped pork here! :-D And I like your taste! :shock: I'm on a mission!!! :D

If you like it. I'll send you more. Also check out the cornucopia of sauce recipes that you have from John Mason. Also, there are some in Paul Kirks Champ BBQ Sauces. Also try the Southern Succor Sauce that goes with Mr. Brown.

And Welcome back.

Thanks Chris..I'll do that. Just wanted a good baseline to get started with. :)

Captain Morgan said:
The good news is that sauce is is simple...in my version it's apple cider vinegar, apple cider or juice, black and white pepper, cayenne pepper, and brown sugar. It's easy and cheap to experiment with to get it to your tastes. If you find you added too much apple juice or sugar, add a little white vinegar. Imho, it has to have a sharp vinegar bite, followed by the heat of the pepper and the sweetness of the apple. I make mine very hot, and add more apple juice for other folks.
So Capt'n, is that all you're gonna give us?? No amounts?? :-D

BTW, I'm gonna have several PP sammiches tonight and I want to mix up some of that Scotts sauce with apple juice like you said. Can you give me a ratio to get me started? 8)

um, well I'm not real scientific. Never met Horatio. I just go by taste. Now different vinegars have different acidity's, and some apple juice is sweeter than others.

Let me say that the Scott's is strong stuff...lots of heat and wang. That's fine with me. It may be better for you to start with a half cup o that and half cup of apple juice. Now remember, you can add a little water in there to thin it out.

Like everything in bbq, it all depends on YOUR taste. I like mine hot and tart and a hint of sweet.

All depends on your rub, too. If it's already peppery, might want to thin out the sauce a little (a little!)

Important to remember that this thin sauce does not cling like a tomato sauce. It will leave a thin coat after you pout it on. That's the whole idea...don't cover the taste of the smoked pork. Which is exactly why I don't like tomato based sauces on smoked meats....they are heavy and tend to cover up the smoke flavor.....the combo of vin/pep/sweet is a wonderful enhancing flavor. Make small batches till you find your proper Horatio, but remember, it needs to be strong (like the Scott's) to affect the meat properly. You don't want to make the meat mushy by soaking it a bowl of sauce, which is why so many eastern style sauces seem so strong when you taste it out of the bottle!

Have fun my q brudda!

Capt'n,
You threw out the bait... and I bit. :?

Opie: I ain't never seen one of them.
Andy: What?
Opie: A half a boy.
Andy: It's not really a 'half a boy'. It's a ratio.
Opie: Poor Horatio.

;-)

Great eppisode. With that exchange being in the backing story, not the primary storyline. :D

Back
Top Bottom