Just wanted to say Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharon B

Assistant Cook
Hi all. Just wanted to introduce myself. Recently retired, actually last Friday, and thought I would treat my hubby to some real home cooking he has missed for the last 30 some odd years of my crazy shifts.
Please be patient as I am going to have a ton of questions.

Cheers
Sharon

Hi Sharon and welcome. What types of cooking do you prefer?

Congratulations on retirement, best thing that can happen to a person that has worked hard for a long time.

Welcome to DC. Lots of answers here for lots of questions. So fire away. This is a great place to play. Lots of laughs along with lots of support.

And congrats on your retirement. Looks like hubby is in for some good cooking. :angel:

Hi Sharon,

I'm jealous of your retirement. :mad:

Ask these good folks whatever you'd like.

There bark is worse then there bite. ;)

Well for most it is. :LOL:

Hi Sharon. As Zagut said Arf! Arf!. That is welcome in barking dialect. Everyone here is an avid animal lover. And we have a chicken lover or two also.

We do have a sense of humor. With our cooking as well as just joking around. We love to see pics of what you cook. Failures as well as the successes.

One of the nicest thing about this forum, these are probably the most compassionate folks you will ever converse with. Stick around and get ready for some real belly laughs. :angel:

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have been reading like crazy and would like to learn to make a meal that doesn't use powdered sauce packets, pre-made ingreients or frozen junk. I think we have enough of that in the last few years. We both have very busy lives....well...me not so much now. Wow...it takes a while to get used to retirement.
Anyway..we live in hicktown Manitoba and any kind of "real" shopping is around a half an hour away. So I really have to plan and that kind of spooks me out a bit.
Well, back to reading and planning my shopping list.

Oh and by the way Addie, my work dog, who retired five years ago is named Adelaide. We call her Addy for short. Small world eh. :)

My real name is Adele. But I have been call Adelaide on more than one occasion. A lot of folks think Adele is short for Adelaide.

Sharon, you will notice that the majority of the cooks here do so from scratch. Which means we usually buy fresh produce. Some of us make up our own rubs for meat, some use a prepared rub.

I personally use a jarred pasta sauce. It doesn't pay for me to make it from scratch as I live alone. But I do get a simple marinara sauce and doctor it up. For me, you can never have too much garlic. (My dating days are over.) I even add a few garlic cloves to the boiling water for potatoes. It gives the potatoes a nice soft garlic taste.

We are not against using packaged or prepared foods. We just prefer cooking from scratch if it is financially possible. Fresh veggies can be costly. I think we all try to keep celery, onions and carrots on hand. These three veggies for those of us in the northern hemisphere are used as the basis for flavor in a lot of dishes. Specially soup.

Hang in there and keep reading. You will find a lot of valuable information here. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom