Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My last two-day read was another Laura Childs book, "Ming Tea Murder". She writes three different cozy mysteries. Ming Tea is set in Charleston. We've been there a couple of times, so it's rather easy for me to picture the scenes that she's writing. Sadly, there is no sweet little tea shop like the one Theodosia runs.

Next up is a spoof book, a riff on "The Cat Who..." books by Lilian Braun. This one is called "The Cat Who Killed Lilian Jackson Braun". :LOL: Won't start it till tomorrow since I have a basketball game to watch tonight.

Finished "The Da Vinci Code"
Not what I expected after all the hype.
I enjoyed it but now I'll have to read "Angels & Demons". :mad:
One book leads to another. ;)

Read "Remains of Innocence" by J.A. Jance
Another good read and it was one of those had to reads for me because of being hooked on the characters.
Guess you can call a lot of what I read Paperback Soap Operas. :LOL:

Also finished another from the box that I'd never have picked up myself.
"Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrant.
Now I want to read "Seabiscuit".

Keep on telling us what you read folks.
Sometimes reading what you don't think would interest you turns out to be a good read and makes you seek more.

I'm going to start a new book from the box.
It's (If you knew me.) one I'd never consider since it say's it's an Oprah's Book Club book.
"The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver.
Nothing ventured nothing gained and it's cover notes sound interesting just like they are supposed to. :cool:

Zagut, you're going to like Poison wood Bible. It's good. I didn't know that it was an Oprah book when I read it. I personally prefer Angels and Demons over DaVinci Code too. Technically, A&D was written first. Much better story.

What I find most helpful on this thread is to offer a link for the book where we can learn more about it to see if it sounds personally interesting. I certainly don't expect to influence anyone to like my choices.

That's a good idea. I'll try to include them in the future.

Myself, I hope somebody enjoys one of my selections, maybe one they would have never tried without my positive comments. I do expect to influence somebody, or get influenced by somebody, or I wouldn't post in this topic.

Last edited:
Jabbur, You were right. I like it. It's a very good read. :D

Whoda thunk I'd like an Oprah book? :eek: :whistling

Next up from the box is. "Ride The Wind" by Lucia St. Clair Robson.

Although I'm not a hiker, after falling in love with Yosemite as a young woman, for a time, I entertained thoughts of walking the John Muir trail. It never happened except in my mind. I discovered this book recently and it's really held my attention on the opposite side of the country. At this age, this hike will never happen for me either, although it's a very good read ......

http://www.amazon.com/AWOL-Appalachian-Trail-David-Miller/dp/0547745524

For me, I'll never be influenced to read your choices Greg, but others could be interested. What I find most helpful on this thread is to offer a link for the book where we can learn more about it to see if it sounds personally interesting. I certainly don't expect to influence anyone to like my choices.

well, intended or not, kayelle, a couple of years ago your intrigue with gillian flynn's 'gone girl' influenced me to read it, too. and you've done it again recently with another girl this time, a 'good girl'. i wonder what sort of girl will it be that you introduce me to next....

My last two-day read was another Laura Childs book, "Ming Tea Murder". She writes three different cozy mysteries. Ming Tea is set in Charleston. We've been there a couple of times, so it's rather easy for me to picture the scenes that she's writing. Sadly, there is no sweet little tea shop like the one Theodosia runs.

Next up is a spoof book, a riff on "The Cat Who..." books by Lilian Braun. This one is called "The Cat Who Killed Lilian Jackson Braun". :LOL: Won't start it till tomorrow since I have a basketball game to watch tonight.

I'm a big fan of those quick little page turners!

I will look for a copy of "The Cat Who Killed Lilian Jackson Braun" by Robert Kaplow.

Look for Virginia Rich and the Eugenia Potter books. I think Virginia Rich only finished three before she died. "The Cooking School Murders", "The Nantucket Diet Murders", and "The Baked Bean Supper Murders".

Last edited:
Just finished Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson. Amazing story and, as usual, Larson didn't disappoint. I love his books. Others of his I've read include Devil in the White City and Isaac's Storm. Can't remember the others.

Larson can take facts and make them mesmerizing. He's one of those "magic" writers who can paint pictures in your head as you read. I couldn't put Isaac's Storm down. Read it in less than 2 days.

...Look for Virginia Rich and the Eugenia Potter books. I think Virginia Rich only finished three before she died. "The Cooking School Murders", "The Nantucket Diet Murders", and "The Baked Bean Supper Murders".
I read those years ago! I enjoyed them so much. Even copied a couple of the recipes that were printed inside the covers, intending to make them some day. Did I ever tell you that my road to hell is very well paved??? :mrgreen:

Started reading my next "White House Chef" mystery in the series - I'm a book behind! Last night I sat down with "Home of the Braised", intending to read just a couple of chapters. By the time I closed the book I was nearly half-done!

I'm reading "The Sound and the Furry" by Spencer Quinn. I have "Paw and Order" up next. I enjoy Chet and Bernie.

Love Chet and Bernie. Will have to check out "Paw and Order".

I'm reading "Just the Pits", by Jinx Schwartz. She writes a mystery series with a lot of humor, and has a great understanding of the Mexican culture.

Last edited:
i jut finished "Home Sweet Everywhere" by Lynne Martin. This couple sold their house, put stuff in storage, and lived in apartments in Europe and North Africa for 3 years.
It is a fascinating book. I can relate to the downsizing-when Kayelle and I got married we had to take all the stuff in 2 1800 sq foot houses we had each lived in for 30 years and get it into one 1400 sq ft home. Needless to say, there were piles of stuff for Salvation Army.

jabbur, I never heard of the Spencer Quinn books (I tend to read books featuring cats and/or recipes). After looking over a few on Goodreads I added Quinn to my authors list. I have more TBR books and ideas than I have years left to read, I'm afraid. :ermm:

After starting "Home of the Braised" on Sunday, I finished it up Monday night. The next book in the series ("All the President's Menus") is waiting for me in my book basket. I intend to do a fair amount of garage sale pricing tomorrow and Thursday before I'll allow myself to open it up. :angel:

When I first read Dog On It, I could see our dog Ollie very clearly as the Chet character. I had to put off reading these latest 2 books since putting Ollie down this spring. Now that we have Abby, I felt I could read them now. He has a new one just released called "Scents and Sensibilities" that I'll put on my list to get when it comes out in paperback.

Nothing too exciting here. I tend to read about food. I have been reading a lot of various chapters in various culinary textbooks on layering flavors and flavor enhancers, Cheese pairings, and what format works for written recipes best. Oh, when not reading about food, I've been taking the mystery basket contents on Chopped and figuring out what I'd make, what flavor profile, what I would grab from the pantry, and how I would plate it. I've come up with some interesting ideas. Does anyone else cook along? I've almost filled a notebook with ideas and partial recipes (no measurements/weights).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom