Keeping cheese firm in a dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midnight

Assistant Cook
Hi!

I'm fascinated and in love with Indian food and cooking. I have a favorite dish that I enjoy and have not been able to replicate called Sag Paneer. It's basically spinach with goat cheese. One of the things I love about it is how the chunks of cheese are nice and firm, even though they are swimming in a piping hot dish. I try to duplicate this at home and - you guessed it - the cheese melts and incorporates into the dish. NOT the same. Any tips or tricks on how to cook with cheese to keep it firm???

Awesome forum, I look forward to perusing the many discussions.

Richard

Paneer is not goat cheese - it's an Indian fresh cheese - here's a recipe for it -

Paneer Cheese

Bring 4 cups low fat milk to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 1/2 cups buttermilk. Stir until curds form and whey is clear. Strain through cheesecloth. Put a weight on top after it is drained to pack it down.

And here is another one:

2L milk
wine glass of white wine vinegar
piece of muslin

In a thick bottomed pan, bring 2 litres of full cream milk to the boil, remove from the heat and add a wine glass of white wine vinegar. Stir, then leave for 5 minutes. The milk will begin to curdle. Now pour it through a fine sieve or a colander lined with muslin. Allow the water to drain, then squeeze the remaining curd and chill in the fridge.

Thanks for the replies! I have actually made the form of cheese you mentioned, but it was also too soft to cook with. I compressed it and got as much liquid out and it was still mushy. Doing some research, it seems the vinegar started method is supposed to produce a firmer product, so I will give that a whirl. Will "aging" it tightly sealed in a fridge help it to firm up??

Richard

Where is Yakuta when you need her?

The recipe I have calls for frying the cheese cubes slightly to form a golden crust before adding them to the spinach. I think this helps the cubes to hold their shape and not melt into nothingness.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom