Keeping tomatoes in the Fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douzer77

Senior Cook
Read in a magazine that you shouldn't keep tomatoes in a fridge but rather in a bowl on or near the windowsill. I have always kept mine in the fridge, does anybody have any thoughts? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
When tomatoes are stored below 50 degrees F a flavor component in the tomatoes is destroyed. I never keep mine in the fridge. I find no need to keep them there.

I almost always keep my tomatoes in a basket on the counter. I don't like the way they taste when they're refrigerated. I also prefer them at room temperature. I can taste them better that way. When they're cold, I don't think the full flavor can be appreciated.

The ONLY time I put mine in the fridge is if I have a partial one left. Other than that it's on the counter. You can also turn them from day to day so they don't bruise on the spot they are sitting.

Wow. I never heard of this. I always keep mine in the fridge with the other veggies. They seem to last so much longer and I prefer a "not too ripe" tomato.
I may have to rethink this if they last just as long on the counter.

I agree with GB an Katie. Never in the fridge. When I have a partial tomato left, I wrap it in plastic wrap and leave it on the counter as well.

I know I'm not supposed to, but tomatoes always seem mealy to me when left on the counter. I cant stand mealy.

They might last longer in the refrigerator, pacanis. I really don't know since ours are always eaten/used before getting to the spoiling stage.

You know, I've been meaning to start a topic on "thrifty" food purchasing. I don't get into the store that often, so I end up buying what ends up being more than I usually use before it goes bad. I'll buy three tomatoes or so and sometimes end up tossing one that I wouldn't even feed my chickens..... but it's not like it's economical to drive 30 minutes to buy one tomato because I feel like having tacos or something that night.
I try to keep things however they last longest, but that doesn't always work either :(

You know, I've been meaning to start a topic on "thrifty" food purchasing. I don't get into the store that often, so I end up buying what ends up being more than I usually use before it goes bad. I'll buy three tomatoes or so and sometimes end up tossing one that I wouldn't even feed my chickens..... but it's not like it's economical to drive 30 minutes to buy one tomato because I feel like having tacos or something that night.
I try to keep things however they last longest, but that doesn't always work either :(

I understand what you mean, pacanis. I shop for food every 2 weeks and I have to travel about 30 miles one-way. It's a juggling act at best. Meal planning here has become a science.

i keep mine on the counter, pretty much always buy cherry tomatoes or the grape tomatoes, i don't like cold ones, don't like cold fruit either.

when they are cold u can't taste the sunshine.

babe:mellow::mellow:

I understand what you mean, pacanis. I shop for food every 2 weeks and I have to travel about 30 miles one-way. It's a juggling act at best. Meal planning here has become a science.

Exactly.
While I love fresh veggies, they don't go bad if they come out of a can.
I hate seeing stuff go bad just because I was trying to save a buck and buy in bulk, but what's the alternative....
Anyway, tomatoes go in the fridge for me unless I'm trying to ripen them.

Tomatoes are often shipped from growing areas...Florida, Mexico, California, etc acrosss country on....refrigerated trucks, to refrigerated warehouses, then shipped on refrigerated trucks to retail outlets, where they are sometimes keep in refrigerated coolers....and finally displayed off refrigeration for the consumer....I wonder if the harm has already been done by the time we purchase them....??

For the tomatoes that have been shipped that way UB, yes the damage has already been done. For local tomatoes that have not been shipped in that way or tomatoes purchased from your local farmers market or grown in your own garden, well those still have their full flavor potential.

My FoodSaver and HandiVac have been a great help, pacanis. Especially when it comes to some fresh veggies, herbs and cheeses.

The key word "some"....
It was mentioned in another post that some veggies give off a gas and it's better to let them breathe, rather than vacuum seal them. You probably remember the post or know this yourself. Thus the dilemma (for me).
All my veggies go in the fridge, but I admit, they all don't seem to do well in there. Just better than on the counter.

Totally agree GB!!! Thats why so many of us look forward to the summer months when local grown tomatoes are available from nearby growers, farmer's markets, road-side stands, etc, or better yet our own back yards, and gardens....The remainder of the year we are all "blessed" with tomatoes that have been well refrigerated prior to display at the local grocery stores.....

I know I'm not supposed to, but tomatoes always seem mealy to me when left on the counter. I cant stand mealy.
I like mine left out, but I believe that you are supposed to do it the way you like doing it best. :cool: Since it isn't a matter of safety (unless you leave them out too long), this is one of those things that can be done however you want.

:)Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom