Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use to have the padded cloth handle covers for my CI skillets. They worked fine but tended to burn from time to time. A while back I ordered a couple of these red silicone handle covers. However, where the padded cloth ones get hot gradually, the silicone one get hot all at once. One second you're fine, then all of a sudden, the pan's too hot to handle.

The same is true for silicone hot pads..nooooooo!

I love my very heavy terry cloth pads. Now I use the silicone pads as trivets for the counter.

I think I've done pretty much all of these ways mentioned. I now just keep a pot holder (or two depending on weight and size of pan) on the counter near by in order to grab when I need to.

I don't leave them on the handle while pot is on the stove, I can pretty much remember not to grab while it is.

Only once the pot is off the burner and on the counter do I place and keep a cloth or holder over the handle. Lesson learned the hard way.

I think I've done pretty much all of these ways mentioned. I now just keep a pot holder (or two depending on weight and size of pan) on the counter near by in order to grab when I need to.

I don't leave them on the handle while pot is on the stove, I can pretty much remember not to grab while it is.

Only once the pot is off the burner and on the counter do I place and keep a cloth or holder over the handle. Lesson learned the hard way.
+1 I do the same.

I bought a set of small casserole dishes and will be using them soon to make individual Sheppard's pie, chicken pot pies, baked ziti, lasagna etc.

individual_oval_baking_dish_cropped_092220.jpg

Cooking for one is a challenge especially at the end of the day. Love to make those for the freezer.

Nice dishes, msmofet!
I'll make 2. One each for hub and I.

I will most likely be making sheppards pie tonight. The ground beef and onions were browned yesterday. I need to cook and mash the potatoes and finish the filling. It should be quick and easy to put together.

Last edited:
hmmm... comfort food... making me look in the freezer.

shepherd's pie
mac'n cheese
chicken pot

all my favourites - and nary a one in the house... :mad:

guess I'd better get busy.

I bought a set of small casserole dishes and will be using them soon to make individual Sheppard's pie, chicken pot pies, baked ziti, lasagna etc.

View attachment 43109

I'm so glad you got those MsM.

As you know, I've been using them for ages for cooking for the two of us, and I wouldn't be without them.
They are the best tip ever for cooing for one or two. Actually I have eight of them so I've cooked for company also. Having several is helpful for the freezer dinners. Two of them fit perfectly in my toaster oven.

I especially like the no fuss presentation by not having to serve portions of a recipe.
My layered fish casseroles are a big favorite of ours. Here's just one recipe...
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f16/easy-and-elegant-shrimp-florentine-for-two-64669.html

Last edited:
I'm so glad you got those MsM.

As you know, I've been using them for ages for cooking for the two of us, and I wouldn't be without them.
They are the best tip ever for cooing for one or two. Actually I have eight of them so I've cooked for company also. Having several is helpful for the freezer dinners. Two of them fit perfectly in my toaster oven.

I especially like the no fuss presentation by not having to serve portions of a recipe.
My layered fish casseroles are a big favorite of ours. Here's just one recipe...
https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f16/easy-and-elegant-shrimp-florentine-for-two-64669.html

I could only eat half of one. I guess they are 2 servings.

sheppards_pie_092720_3_IMG_7200.JPG

Yes, I think yours are larger MsM. Just don't fill them so full? Here's some pics of my latest fish dish..

Attachments

• P9150060.jpg
    P9150060.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 101
  • P9150065.jpg
    P9150065.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
MsM...the two larger are each 10 oz.
The little blue one is 3 oz.

I have 8 of the white ones, 2 of the pretty Polish Pottery, and 2 of the little blue ones.

Attachments

• P9280092.jpg
    P9280092.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 68
A little bit behind on this thread. I cook mostly with CI and you only have to grab a hot skillet once for lesson learned :LOL: I grab a towel or hot pad out of habit for non hot handle pans :ROFLMAO:

I had not picked up anything new lately in the recent past to add here until two weeks ago. I bought A 5.5 QT sauté pan. Will explain and show and tell later when I have time soon.

We’re fortunate to have a nice kitchen store 1/2 mile from my house so I walked there this weekend. Picked up three items: 12” magnetic knife holder for the wall, new kitchen shears that look like my bonsai scissors that I use in the garden, and one of those chop and fold cutting boards. I’ll try to take some pictures later.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom