Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just picked this up. It's a cheapy. 30 bucks at the Asian grocery. Looks like a fun knife though.

Doing California rolls and various other rolls tonight. 20220226_182432.jpg

I got a new gadget to use with my Instant Pot - an idli steamer. I've made these occasionally, using other methods , usually putting a bunch of those ramekins in my Chinese steamer - last time, only 3 at a time in the IP, twice. Monday, when I went to the Indian supermarket, to stock up on some things, I just happened to see the small area where they sell some kitchenware, so I looked, and the thing was about half the price of the ones I had seen on Amazon! It's cheap, but they don't have to be thick gauge metal, and the nuts and the rod through the center are all stainless, which surprised me - I was ready to replace it with some stainless, as I have plenty in my workshop. Here's one that looks identical on Amazon, though it may be different; price was only $9.89, so that was different! Didn't say anything on the wrapper, but I knew it was small enough to fit in the IP.
https://www.amazon.com/Tabakh-Stain...?keywords=idli+steamer&qid=1645934028&sr=8-17

That's why I bought it. It was right by the checkout stand. Like a candy bar or cookies.

Couldn't help it.

It cuts OK. It is only hammered on the one side. Grrrr. Couldn't tell from the package. So it isn't any good for peeling cucumbers, as it acts like a wedge and turns to one side.

But for cutting sushi/sashimi rolls, it's fine.

I mainly wanted to see if I liked the shape, as I've been hankering for a nice one. I like the feel of it, so now to talk myself into a proper sushi knife.

But this will work for a while, probably for years, as I am in no hurry to spend 2 or 300 dollars on a fancy one.

That is an attractive knife, Vinyl.

I pulled out a bit of Discover Cashback bucks to get me a TJX gift card. Browsed through the nearby Marshalls household goods area for a few new kitchen toys. Ended up with a six-inch cake pan, a covered bowl (Snoopy!), a set of Easter/spring rubber scrapers, and a four-pack of dish towels. Also got a coffee cup pair for our daughter and her fiancé. I want to make sure he knows the rules. [emoji6]
IMG_20220317_001804546_HDR.jpgIMG_20220317_001840772_HDR.jpg

Nice, CG! Good finds. I ordered a new small blender jar and it arrived today. I've already used it twice. I'm making lots of small batch smoothies, shakes and creamed soups, these days. It works better for those single serve items.

66931970859__A97E89AF-506B-41A3-A2A1-C1EA3F166FC0.jpg

Wow CG, some real nice finds, and free to boot! I wish we had Home Goods and Marshalls, miss those stores! We have TJX but not a good selection.

I love that little blender jar Ginny!

My Mother has decided that after a month at her new digs, she wants to go back to making her own main meal of the day, linner.
So I went and did a little shopping for her at Wally World.

IMG_1413.jpg

She actually requested these items! :ohmy:
(I didn't want her to commit to a regulation sized casserole dish until she sees what/how she wants to cook, so that's why we got the aluminum pans)
I also got her those non-stick-cheapo pans at Walmart ... and 8 inch fry pan and a set of two covered pots-small and medium sized. No photo `cuz I took them over to her apartment the other day. She's already made herself breakfast for dinner - fried eggs and sausage with toast... good for her!

Sounds very encouraging K-girl.

Excuse me for offering unsolicited advise. It occurs to me that lack of vegis might become a problem. The rest of the food is easy and filling. When we get older, vegis often seem like too much effort. Maybe you should encourage her to get some vegis that just need to be nuked. I'm sure there are frozen vegi dishes available. I personally like the vegi dishes from Tasty Bite, which are shelf stable and can be nuked in the package (with a two inch slit cut into the package) in about a minute or boiled in the bag. Yes, they are Indian, but they are usually very, very mild. They even have other cuisines and stuff like brown rice in those bags. Tasty Bite

Sounds very encouraging K-girl.

Excuse me for offering unsolicited advise. It occurs to me that lack of vegis might become a problem. The rest of the food is easy and filling. When we get older, vegis often seem like too much effort. Maybe you should encourage her to get some vegis that just need to be nuked. I'm sure there are frozen vegi dishes available. I personally like the vegi dishes from Tasty Bite, which are shelf stable and can be nuked in the package (with a two inch slit cut into the package) in about a minute or boiled in the bag. Yes, they are Indian, but they are usually very, very mild. They even have other cuisines and stuff like brown rice in those bags. Tasty Bite

Right!
Mom loves fruits and vegetables, alot.
I took her a container each of cut up Cantaloupe and Watermelon the other day, as well as some frozen Green Beans (her request) and some braised Kale with Garlic & Onions that I made.
But she does really enjoy Indian cuisine, so I will look for that Tasty Bite; I've seen it at her local supermarket.
My plan is to go over to her apartment every week or two and take her some already prepared healthful meals, by me of course. Along with some fruits that I'll also prep for her. I worry about her knife skills :ohmy:
And have you looked at the price of all-ready prep-ed fruits and veg? :ermm:
A quart-sized plastic deli container of Cantaloupe or Watermelon was $6USD!!!! I bought TWO whole Cantaloupes for $5 :glare:

It's the same here Kgirl. One canteloup is $6. A canteloup cut in 1/2 and seeded is $5.

So my question is... do you buy a whole melon for $6.00 and throw away $3.00?? Or pay the $5.00 for 1/2 a melon and not throw any away.

Morally and financially a tough decision for some people.

I throw only the "shell" of the cantaloupe out - the seeds make a delicious and nutritious drink - horchata - which is just blended with some water and a little sweetener, then strained, though not much strains out, when done in the Vitamix.

Some horchata starts with cleaned seeds, but this version I found in an old Diana Kennedy book, and the pulp is left in, for all that flavor. The original recipe had a little lime juice, which I'll add, if I have some. A little tequila complements it too ;) - don't remember when I first tried that.

Last edited:
It's the same here Kgirl. One canteloup is $6. A canteloup cut in 1/2 and seeded is $5.

So my question is... do you buy a whole melon for $6.00 and throw away $3.00?? Or pay the $5.00 for 1/2 a melon and not throw any away.

Morally and financially a tough decision for some people.

Very true dragn.
For Mom, it's a matter of her hands. Her arthritis is so bad that she knows better than to try that, so she'll does do without, which is why I do things for her.
I figure, I'm already dicing up a whole melon for our household, just because she doesn't live here any more doesn't mean I shouldn't give her a container of it.

Well, my 'new' apartment is below my son. Thought my luck had changed and so I bought a whole melon as now I could share! WHEEE!! .... only to have my DIL say, "yech! never buy melon, can't stand them" :ermm::rolleyes::mad:

Well, my 'new' apartment is below my son. Thought my luck had changed and so I bought a whole melon as now I could share! WHEEE!! .... only to have my DIL say, "yech! never buy melon, can't stand them" :ermm::rolleyes::mad:

What about your son or the grandkids dragn?
I myself do not care for melons, but I'll still dice one up for my family :chef:

At the time Kgirl, my son was sitting beside her and made no comment. (Discretion? Mom or Wife, hmmmm) the grand weren't there at the time. Was going to bring some up when they were there.

... but before they got here, I found that the melon was NOT as ripe as I'd hoped, ARGHH. If they had not really experienced melon I didn't want to introduce hard and tasteless.

Managed to eat just over half before I had to chuck it.

Of course :rolleyes:, never dawned on me to ask if they have it at their mom's or with 'Owie'.

IMG_1434.jpg

This arrived today:
Checkered Chef Grates/Cooling Racks
I have been looking for the ATK recommended Libertyware brand, but no luck!
This Checkered Chef brand rack is a lesser quality: the SS wire used is not as big; the holes are larger, but they do fit my Nordicware sheets pans perfectly.
I have half, quarter and 1/8 sized pans.

View attachment 51244

This arrived today:
Checkered Chef Grates/Cooling Racks
I have been looking for the ATK recommended Libertyware brand, but no luck!
This Checkered Chef brand rack is a lesser quality: the SS wire used is not as big; the holes are larger, but they do fit my Nordicware sheets pans perfectly.
I have half, quarter and 1/8 sized pans.

Nice, and very useful. But, maybe don't use them until your new dishwasher arrives. That kind of thing is a real PITA to wash by hand.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom