Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually taxy, mine does not have that feature any more - just the who and number. If it still has it, don't know how to get it back as I liked it.

Re: phone security, we both have fingerprint ID on our own phone and spouse phone. It's been that way for at least two phone cycles. Never had a problem. I'm going to guess that a dead finger won't work because it's too cold. There are times my finger attached to me is too cold. :LOL: We also have the same swipe pattern as a back-up alternative so we can access each other's phone. I have more important things to worry about than someone using my amputated finger to open my phone...like the data breach at the radiology group that handles my health records for my mammograms. :glare:

Now on to the main feature: Kitchen Candy. I had a $100 Bed Bath and Beyond gift card, coupons...and no time to lose! Today was the last day they were taking coupons, and only a few more weeks for gift cards. I wandered the kitchen section and picked up a few things I've mentioned maybe getting, especially the poultry shears and salad spinner. Also got a cookie scoop, larger mesh colander, TV tray, and finally a new bathroom hand towel to use the last bit of $$.
20230425_223800.jpg

Re: phone security, we both have fingerprint ID on our own phone and spouse phone. It's been that way for at least two phone cycles. Never had a problem. I'm going to guess that a dead finger won't work because it's too cold. There are times my finger attached to me is too cold. :LOL: We also have the same swipe pattern as a back-up alternative so we can access each other's phone. I have more important things to worry about than someone using my amputated finger to open my phone...like the data breach at the radiology group that handles my health records for my mammograms. :glare:

Now on to the main feature: Kitchen Candy. I had a $100 Bed Bath and Beyond gift card, coupons...and no time to lose! Today was the last day they were taking coupons, and only a few more weeks for gift cards. I wandered the kitchen section and picked up a few things I've mentioned maybe getting, especially the poultry shears and salad spinner. Also got a cookie scoop, larger mesh colander, TV tray, and finally a new bathroom hand towel to use the last bit of $$.
View attachment 64380

Nice haul of useful stuff.

I wouldn't call that a colander. It doesn't have feet or a base to keep the bowl part off of a surface. I would call that a sieve. Maybe they go by different names in different places, like soda, soda pop, pop, soft drink, ...

One of my reasons (I will always find one somewhere), I can do my oatmeal and not watch it bubble all over. I can practice sushi rice, since moving I cannot for the life of me make decent rice. On the farm never had a problem.
So that's 4 good reasons.
Regular rice
Sushi rice
Jasmine
Oatmeal

I also happen to like making rice with coconut milk - do you think I will be able to with the cooker? The ratio is pretty much the same.
I can't find the message...but, I think I remember you saying that your second try making rice was not so good? I said I never have had a problem, or something like that. Famous last words...while camping I had a bad batch. I think I figured out what I did wrong: I think I grabbed the wrong rice measuring cup. Meaning, I was making white rice, but I grabbed the brown rice scoop. Ooops...

I hear yuh, I've been cooking rhubarb since Hector was a puppy and I NEVER burnt it....

yup, until today. I caught it fairly quick but it is still burnt. Only I've notice only a faint smokey taste - so I will call it my "famous camp-site rhubarb compote". :giggle::giggle:

Rhubarb? Did I hear rhubarb? I am green with envy as I haven't had any rhubarb for nearly 40 years. I grew up on the stuff - Father used to grow the most incredible rhubarb and when I was married he gave me a clump for our garden.

Haven't seen any since I came here...
CRYING SMILEY WITH TISSUES.gif

since I've left the farm I hadn't had any either. I actually bought and paid money for this.
Last year I bought two plants for the garden here. I had put them up against the fence. Well, when the tree came down and the fance had to be replaced - they got trampled before they could come up this spring.
Got so excited the other day when I saw a little leaf coming up!
Two days later it had been eaten to the ground. :mad: :doh::unhappy:

The neighbor across the road had a wonderful rhubarb plant and didn't use it...told us we were welcome to it. Since it was accessed from the road, easy peasy. Then, he sold and the new guy took out that plant!!! Without even asking! :cry:

Rhubarb? Did I hear rhubarb? I am green with envy as I haven't had any rhubarb for nearly 40 years. I grew up on the stuff - Father used to grow the most incredible rhubarb and when I was married he gave me a clump for our garden.

Haven't seen any since I came here...
View attachment 64898
Why don't you start growing, all you need is a planting pot.

He must have worked bloody hard to get that out! Those roots are deep, wide and impossible to get rid of.
Keep an eye on that spot (if you can) and should you see a sprout, just ask him if you can dig a bit of the root up (with a leaf).

Why don't you start growing, all you need is a planting pot.
I'd love to Charlie but I'm disabled and am physically unable to do things like that. I have no idea where I would get the necessary pot or soil from - let alone the starting whatever for a rhubarb plant. I've never seen rhubarb sold in any supermarket or on a market stall, so do not even know whether it exists here.

He must have worked bloody hard to get that out! Those roots are deep, wide and impossible to get rid of.
Keep an eye on that spot (if you can) and should you see a sprout, just ask him if you can dig a bit of the root up (with a leaf).
I live in the country. People have farm equipment for many of these chores. I've forgotten what all they have changed over there, but it changed hands a couple of times. It was actually auctioned off...and a company bought it, added on, fixed all sorts of stuff, etc., etc....then the new couple, now a single guy (but same guy)...anyway, when I sent Mikey to search for some, it was long gone...sigh.

I remember that it used to spread, and Father would get a spade and dig chunks out for others who wanted to grow it.

Rhubarb and custard. Rhubarb crumble. And I have vague memories of Mother making rhubarb and apple jam. Not forgetting the black-currents. And everything else he grew. "Digging for Victory" during WWll - Father turned the bottom third of our back garden into his vegetable and fruit "patch".

I think I'm showing my age now!

I'd love to Charlie but I'm disabled and am physically unable to do things like that. I have no idea where I would get the necessary pot or soil from - let alone the starting whatever for a rhubarb plant. I've never seen rhubarb sold in any supermarket or on a market stall, so do not even know whether it exists here.
I am sorry about your disability. Whatever it is you should have a refuah sheleimah.

My sister bought me the KA ice cream maker for my birthday. I love gadgets and ice cream, so win-win for the concept. She got it on Prime Day so I know it was roughly $40 off its regular price of $99, which was also a happy thing. It's a specialty piece so I would not want her to spend a lot for something that only has one purpose.

I have had other ice cream makers, but none really firmed the ice cream up enough to eat without it dripping and being the consistency of a thickened milkshake. This one was different. It froze everything enough to have it keep its shape. The end consistency was like a soft-serve ice cream. One does need to freeze the bowl, which I put in our downstairs freezer so it will always be ready. I also chilled all ingredients for 2 hours prior to making my ice cream.

Everything went on the mixer easily. I noticed the bowl was made so it would fit a five or six quart mixer. The ice cream was pretty firm in about 15 to 20 minutes. It is delicious! I got some quart-sized reusable ice cream containers and the ice cream is now firm, but not rock-hard as many store-bought ice cream can be.

My test recipe was pretty simple. 3 peaches that were zapped a few times in a blender with 1/2 cup sugar and juice from one lemon. I placed this in the fridge. In another bowl, I mixed 1 cup of sugar with a heavy teaspoon of vanilla and 2 cups heavy whip cream and 1.5 cups of milk. Again, in the fridge for 2 hours. I combined all together right before putting it into the bowl. (You must have the mixer going when adding the ice cream mixture otherwise. This was likely the most difficult part of the entire process.)

Everything is dishwasher safe, but I hand-washed the bowl. In any case, thought I would share because I will definitely cut down on my ice cream purchases since this was so simple to make. 20230726_182310.jpg

<<Everything is dishwasher safe, but I hand-washed the bowl. In any case, thought I would share because I will definitely cut down on my ice cream purchases since this was so simple to make. >>
And, because you can't go back!!! Once you've got the homemade down, store-bought just does not cut it. At least, that's my experience. With ice cream, salad dressing, mac salad, potato salad, coleslaw...it is all ruined! But in a very good way.

Have fun and enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom