Kitchen gadgets for the office?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marchdesign

Assistant Cook
Happy New Year everyone!

It's lovely to hear everyone's story on the picnic. I went old school with a red wine and a simple cheese board.

I wonder what kind of kitchen gadget would you bring to the office?

Best,
Hugo

Besides the obvious, coffee maker? Ice maker?

Sandwich machine
microwave

an apple corer or good knife, i guess

I would say that it depends on the people in your office.

If it's anything like mine, I wouldn't bring anything that I cared about, or in any way wanted back. We have a small kitchen that is shared by 4 small departments (totalling about 50 to 60 people), and everything in it either gets abused or broken very quickly. Anything nice walks out the door.

One of the small departments has supplied a microwave and toaster oven, on which they constantly are taping signs complaining that if no one helps keep them clean, they will be taken back.

There are two company supplied refrigerators and two coffee maker that only get cleaned when they get beyond disgusting, and then another note us posted in futility about keeping them clean.

But in an effort to be helpful and a bit green, a few microwave safe plates, bowls, and cups are useful instead of everyone using paper and plastic. A supply of metal utensils are also good. However, some people use them and just leave them in the sink. I guess they're expecting their mom to come in and clean up for them.

I would say that it depends on the people in your office.

If it's anything like mine, I wouldn't bring anything that I cared about, or in any way wanted back. We have a small kitchen that is shared by 4 small departments (totalling about 50 to 60 people), and everything in it either gets abused or broken very quickly. Anything nice walks out the door.

One of the small departments has supplied a microwave and toaster oven, on which they constantly are taping signs complaining that if no one helps keep them clean, they will be taken back.

There are two company supplied refrigerators and two coffee maker that only get cleaned when they get beyond disgusting, and then another note us posted in futility about keeping them clean.

But in an effort to be helpful and a bit green, a few microwave safe plates, bowls, and cups are useful instead of everyone using paper and plastic. A supply of metal utensils are also good. However, some people use them and just leave them in the sink. I guess they're expecting their mom to come in and clean up for them.

I guess they could use a more Swedish attitude. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q9TzV16O7g

My job has gone full time telework but I still have a desk in office in case I wish to use it. I think that will come to an end within 6 months and they will just have hot desks for us, the NJ building is already like that.

Before they decided we would stay working at home I was thinking about getting Flair espresso maker for my desk. I can't have a plug in appliance so I was looking at the fully manual one.

But it makes no sense now.

Lol, spork. The latter was along the lines of my thoughts for larry's suggestion of a good knife.

How ya been? Take care of that crochety ol' dad of yours. He thinks he's a classic, but antique is more apropriate, methinks.

Last edited:
Just for social show/threat. I don't bake in the office, other than the coffeecup-microwave-cakemix that I learned from DC, followed by a Keurig. Cup-noodles, anyone?

Cutting board, small Santoku, 2 small crock pots and utensils for such, fridge. Large crock pot for pot lucks, these happen monthly. It's amazing what I can cook in my office.

And a cabinet with a lock for anything you want to keep supplies and appliances intact, clean, unbroken and around for awhile.

Label stickers are a good idea, but people should also date their food.

Um, I mean mark down the date of when it was put in the communal fridge.

Some people are ruthless, though. I've seen food dated in the future.

Hi Spork! You have been missed, so good to see you!

Had been thinking about you; my recollection is that you are a healthcare pro and might need my occasional toast (burnt crust scraped off).

I make & label food for office sharing. So, I often steal plastic pockets of fast-food utensils (including little salt/pep packets) to stock the breakroom. I also almost always have a treasured screw-together pair of travel chopsticks in my pocket (I eat every whichwhereandwhen). KFC has plastic sporks for anyone's free taking.

Back
Top Bottom