Kitchen or Household Gift Idea -- Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monnyshell

Assistant Cook
I want to get my boyfriend something house or kitchen/cooking related for Valentine’s day. We have only been together for about six months, so I don’t want the gift to be too serious (like say a picture frame with me in it). He likes to cook and keeps a clean house. I am thinking that I might want to get him an unusual cooking utensil. Are there any suggestions? Is there any tool that most people don’t have, but professional chefs have? Thanks, I lack sense when it comes to anything kitchen or house related.
--Monica

Hmm, do you know what he has in his kitchen already?

How about one of those stick blenders? That's just the first thing that comes to mind because it's not a major kitchen appliance...save that for when you guys get serious. :)

How much are you thinking of spending? Something like a mandolin would be a cool gift, but they are generally quite expensive.

I like GB's idea, but if you want to stay on the less-expensive side, how about a Microplane. They're about $15 +.

You could also get him a silpat if he likes to bake or make candy. They seem to start around $19.

Those stick blenders suck :), absolutely useless things!

I would love to get a microplane, that would be awesome and so useful. One of the more useful kitchen gifts I was given (when I remember to use it) was just a simple book stand. It just holds it upright and keeps the pages in place, more useful than you think.

Well, at least, I thought it was.

mudbug said:
a chocolate grater and some chocolate

That's a neat idea, mud. Or how about a Parmesan cheese grater (the kind with the handle that you turn) and a nice block of Parmesan?

I agree with Pam that a stick blender has its uses. I'm learning to love mine and wouldn't give it up now!

How about a cookbook? One can never have to many of those.
Or a gift certificate to a local cooking store, maybe one for a cooking class?

Or.. how about borrowing one of his cookbooks and
making him a meal from it? I'm sure he'd love that
you were trying to learn to do something that he likes
to do.

wow great ideas!!!

So many great ideas. I like the chocolate grater and spice ideas. I know this is a kitchen forum, but what about house gadgets?

i just want to get him the perfect gift. :shock:

mudbug said:
It's a little naughty, but...fishnet stockings, an apron, and a big red bow in your hair????? The perfect gift.
LOL, I'm sorry, mud, but when I read big red bow, and an apron all I could picture is...

minnie10.gif

I have a few ideas

I have a few ideas. I bought my friend who loves to cook an extra large cooking spatula. He loved it. He said that when he is sautéing fish, he always has a difficult time flipping the fish, and this large surfaced item lifted the fish (I guess anything else goes to like pancakes) without breaking it into many pieces. For household, seeing that he is a guy who likes a clean house I would think about getting him a Roomba vacuum (very small device that can replace the bulky version and is self-directed) – I have one and love it – or possibly an outdoor gift for a garden (maybe seeds if he doesn’t have one). If he likes to cook and clean, I am sure he likes being in the garden. New relationship can be so exciting – even gift giving is a pleasure (and a chore)!

-honeygirl

Back
Top Bottom