Kitchen Pet Peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I am a very particular man. And I'm even more particular in the kitchen. I got to thinking about the rest of you guys and how strongly you feel about cooking and food in general.
The pet peeve that started me thinking happened at Thanksgiving. My daughter was slicing cheesecake into individual servings. She never once cleaned off the knife between slices. I stopped her and showed her how it was done. I got a glass of hot water and a paper towel and cleaned the knife between each cut.
She thought it was going overboard and not required.
I think it is required and makes for a MUCH better presentation.

R_B, People who are like you and me are not understood by people who are not. I will not allow anyone to load my dishwasher. They put stuff in the wrong places!

I tell people I'm a little CDO (that's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!)

I cut cheesecake with dental floss. Pulling it down to the plate/pan then let go of one end and pull through and out from the bottom of the slice. Then I wipe the floss before making next cut. No drag/jagged cuts.

R_B, People who are like you and me are not understood by people who are not. I will not allow anyone to load my dishwasher. They put stuff in the wrong places!

I tell people I'm a little CDO (that's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!)
I say the same thing Andy. People misunderstand me all the time. (Chuckles. Sometimes I do it on purpose!) :)

To that I say it's not my job for me to understand you. It's your job to understand ME!
It's not hard loading a dishwasher. My peeve is when people leave dirty dishes in the sink with Milk stuck to the bottom of a glass not even bothering to rinse them, or even bother to unload the dishwasher.
Days like that I quit my job until they understand me.

The other is when people don't wash their hands before touching cutlery.Or prepping meats and veggies in between.
It's disgusting.

Munky.

Not on the level of the previous posts, but if you want to make me angry, ignore my request to STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN! I hate trying to avoid wandering people while I am mixing, carrying hot items, and just trying to move around my kitchen.
What is so hard to understand about GO SIT DOWN, AND STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN!

Not on the level of the previous posts, but if you want to make me angry, ignore my request to STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN! I hate trying to avoid wandering people while I am mixing, carrying hot items, and just trying to move around my kitchen.
ROFL!!! :)
oh yeah, Or those that pull out a pocket knife wanting to carve a taste of a roast while it's resting... Ughhh.. gross.
Where has that knife been?

I think I am crazy... Just sayin' :)

Munky.

Your daughter was serving the cheesecake family style. ;)

I cut cheesecake, and a few other things, cleaning the knife after each cut, but I would never mention it if someone chooses to do it differently.

R_B, People who are like you and me are not understood by people who are not. I will not allow anyone to load my dishwasher. They put stuff in the wrong places!..;
If I'm lucky, Himself will properly rinse* his dishes and put them into the dishwasher. But he gets offended when I move things. I tell him to not take it personally - I'll move the dishes I'VE put into the dishwasher if I find a better arrangement. :LOL:

*Needs to have any residue cleared with the dish brush. We run the dishwasher every 2-3 days and I don't want dishes coming out with yuck.

I usually let my wife. load the dish washer. Im the mess maker, and she is the mess cleaning. I hate when she throws dirty dishes in the sink, doesnt bother to either rinse them or at the very least fill with some water. to the crap doesnt get stuck on. Then, complain the next day how. the dishwasher doesnt do a good job cause crap is stuck to the bottom of the pot. She'll also, after a late night snack, throw the plate along with the napkin in the sink ( the garbage can is directly under the sink, why not just throw it away instead of it getting all wet and gross). Im just getting started,. Im sure Ill chime in a few more times. Oh wait, one more came to mind. For decades. ( literally like 70 years) Ive been telling my mom, once you get the produce, make sure to. take them out of those plastic bags before putting them in the fridge or they will get slimy and rot. To this day, it is remarkable how much gross, slimy rotten produce is in her fridge produce drawer.

The cats will only eat if their wet food bowls are in the middle of the floor. I move them to the side out of the way when you come to visit because they will not eat when you are here.

When someone ( my wife) puts something in the oven for the exact time listed in the recipe, sets the timer and then walks away (never checking on it until the time goes off) and finds it to be over cooker or burnt when the timer goes off. Then, does the same thing the next time she makes something (even the same recipe and wonders again why it is burnt after being told she should check it the last 5 minutes or so to avoid this from happening again.

I understand she doesnt enjoy cooking, and its my thing not hers. I also understand following a recipe exactly, especially when you're not the greatest cook or dont have cooking know how. I just dont understand how a mistake could be repeated over and over again with no effort to change how you approach it to make things right. My theory is she does this on purpose so I wont ever ask her to cook again lol.

:sneaky:... larry, I think your theory is right! :mrgreen:
Im pretty sure it is ;)

Here's another one. She'll take something from the freezer that needs to be heated from its frozen state ( not defrosted). Let it sit on the counter for awhile, and then sit even longer while waiting for the oven to get up to temp, and first put it in after partially thawing. I know in many cases it doesnt make a difference, but with fries it does. No matter how many times tell her to take them out when ( for even close) to when they need go into the oven, she continues to let them sit on the counter for way too long. Which initiates the " If you don't like the way I do it, then do it yourself" response. Which pretty much. backs up my theory.

When SO is working in the kitchen I'm often sitting at the counter. It amazes me how consistently she chooses the wrong tool for the job. Often it's the wrong knife. But there are other kitchen tools she applies the same "logic" to.

Funny you mention that. After dinner within no time our daughters had the kitchen completely cleaned up to my wife's delight. It wasn't until morning she told me the dishwasher was over filled and everything was in the wrong place. She had to correct the issues. Some items that do not go in the dishwasher were in there to.
But they did clean up and that gets my attention in a good way.
There are several tasks in the kitchen where I ask and appreciate help. The biggest thing is I like to clean up as I go. Nothing worse than a sink piled high with dishes after dinner or even after I'm done with the preparation. So keeping the sink clear is a great help to me. In fact as dishes start to pile up, I can feel a sense of dread and a bit aggravated. So yes. Do dishes as they become apparent. I like that. I do my level best to keep dishes and utensils to a minimum when cooking. But as you guys know, you can't work without tools.
But when it comes to the act of cooking, I don't want or need any assistance. Besides our kitchen is open to the living room and people naturally congregate to the kitchen. So people are present.

Your daughter was serving the cheesecake family style. ;)
I cut cheesecake, and a few other things, cleaning the knife after each cut, but I would never mention it if someone chooses to do it differently.
I guess thats why its a pet peeve. I cannot refrain from mentioning it. Now at her house I would have debated with myself to mention it. I probably still would.
I usually let my wife. load the dish washer. Im the mess maker, and she is the mess cleaning. I hate when she throws dirty dishes in the sink, doesnt bother to either rinse them or at the very least fill with some water. to the crap doesnt get stuck on. Then, complain the next day how. the dishwasher doesnt do a good job cause crap is stuck to the bottom of the pot. She'll also, after a late night snack, throw the plate along with the napkin in the sink ( the garbage can is directly under the sink, why not just throw it away instead of it getting all wet and gross). Im just getting started,. Im sure Ill chime in a few more times. Oh wait, one more came to mind. For decades. ( literally like 70 years) Ive been telling my mom, once you get the produce, make sure to. take them out of those plastic bags before putting them in the fridge or they will get slimy and rot. To this day, it is remarkable how much gross, slimy rotten produce is in her fridge produce drawer.

When someone ( my wife) puts something in the oven for the exact time listed in the recipe, sets the timer and then walks away (never checking on it until the time goes off) and finds it to be over cooker or burnt when the timer goes off. Then, does the same thing the next time she makes something (even the same recipe and wonders again why it is burnt after being told she should check it the last 5 minutes or so to avoid this from happening again.

I understand she doesnt enjoy cooking, and its my thing not hers. I also understand following a recipe exactly, especially when you're not the greatest cook or dont have cooking know how. I just dont understand how a mistake could be repeated over and over again with no effort to change how you approach it to make things right. My theory is she does this on purpose so I wont ever ask her to cook again lol.
Larry I have one with my wife that literally bugs the shit out of me.
Whenever we expect company my wife scurries to clean up. While I appreciate her attention to cleanliness, she always starts at the back of the house moving to the front where the guests will be.
Then in many cases the job is not done and she will be cleaning up when the guests arrive.
If she had started in the front, where people will be....well you guys get it.
Why clean a back bedroom no one will see before the living room and kitchen that everyone will see? Crazy. I do mention it, but I think complaining is about the worst thing I could do.
She has her quirks, but she is the love of my life.

When SO is working in the kitchen I'm often sitting at the counter. It amazes me how consistently she chooses the wrong tool for the job. Often it's the wrong knife. But there are other kitchen tools she applies the same "logic" to.
My wife will not cook if I watch. I cannot help myself and she knows it. So I try my best to stay away from the kitchen until she is done.
She has become more receptive to new ideas. And sometimes will ask for my help.
She grew up in a home where cooking was not taken seriously at all. And many of the technique's were very flawed.
I still remember my SIL asking what a fresh garlic bulb was. They never ever saw or used any garlic.
Not helping me select dinners for the week, then complaining about what's for dinner ( that was more of a kids thing than a wife thing, but she is carrying on the tradition to some extent).
Another peeve. I have quit asking my wife what she wants for dinner. She always say's "whatever you want". But she never complains and she likes most everything I put on the table.
Amazing woman. Never tells me what to. Never argues. Never spends money without asking me. Even though I have told her to spend whatever she wants and she does not need my permission. Talks very little and very softly. Trustworthy. Helpful. And to many more things to type.

My wife will not cook if I watch. I cannot help myself and she knows it. So I try my best to stay away from the kitchen until she is done.
She has become more receptive to new ideas. And sometimes will ask for my help . . .

Another peeve. I have quit asking my wife what she wants for dinner. She always say's "whatever you want". But she never complains and she likes most everything I put on the table.
Amazing woman. Never tells me what to. Never argues. Never spends money without asking me. Even though I have told her to spend whatever she wants and she does not need my permission. Talks very little and very softly. Trustworthy. Helpful. And to many more things to type.

My SO flat out tells me to leave the kitchen. So I have learned to not speak until spoken to. LOL

We go through the "What do you want for dinner?" routine daily. "I picked yesterday, it's your turn."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom