KitchenAid Mixer Failing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Has anyone ever had a KA stand mixer fail or go bad? Mine has recently begun acting strangely and the issue is getting worse.

I have a KA professional 600 model that is about 6 years old. I use it a couple of times a week, typically to make pizza dough or while egg whites. The issue is that when I move the gear lever to turn it on there is a long delay before the motor engages. No sounds during the delay - there's just silence and then it finally goes. The delay is getting longer and longer. Any ideas what this might be?

Sounds like the variable speed switch (similar to a dimmer switch) may have dirty or bad contacts at the different speed settings.

Sounds like the variable speed switch (similar to a dimmer switch) may have dirty or bad contacts at the different speed settings.

I agree. You may have to have the switch replaced. I don't know if they can be cleaned.

Sorry I can't offer any suggestion. My KA mixer is getting close to 40 years old and I've never had a problem with it except when it tipped over in the trunk of my mother's car because she turned a corner too fast and it got a scrape in the finish.

Sounds like you need a new circuit board. I have replaced the board & planetary on my pro 6 just a few weeks ago. For the part you can go to the mending shead.com, the part ($24.00). You can call them for any quistions, they are more helpfull then KA. However, if you take it apart don't tell KA or they won't even bother to fix it. It is quite an easy fix and you will save on shipping the mixer, which is not cheep.

Ok - this is all helpful advice. I'll start with a call to kichenaid. My big concern is that it will fully fail in the middle of some meal prep and scuttle the dinner plans... I want to get it fixed before that happens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom