Knife for the wife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She should join us! We'd love to hear from her what she thinks of the knife she gets and how she likes the knife class. :)

I'll let her know. She'll probably just post on here w/ my account.

So now I was about to order the VF Chef's knife, and lo and behold the deal of the week of Cutlery and more is a 7" Furi Santoku for $19. My wife was looking over my shoulder while I was on the site, and saw it, and said, "ooh, what is that? Let's get it!". Sigh. I had my plan all ready, and now a fork in the road.

So I read some reviews. Some good, some bad. Anyone have this knife? Thoughts? Again, the knife I am ordering now is most likely going to be mine for grilling. I am not that good with a knife, so most likely anything will work for me. However, if my wife likes the Furi (which is sponsored by Rachel Ray, although that doesn't make me want it, or make me not want it) or the VF, we'll stick with those. (I highly doubt that will happen though...she really liked the Miyabi).

So here is the link. Thoughts? Thanks.

Furi Rachael Ray Gusto Grip Hollow Edge Santoku Knife - Furi 7-inch Rachael Ray Gusto Grip Hollow Edge Santoku Knife | cutleryandmore.com

Has she even checked knife handles, yet, to see what fits in her hand? To me that should be the first consideration.

Has she even checked knife handles, yet, to see what fits in her hand? To me that should be the first consideration.

Yep, she has. We went to Sur La Table and tried every knife they had. She fell in love with the Miyabi Kaizen 5.5" Santoku. She said it just felt right in her hand.

Yep, she has. We went to Sur La Table and tried every knife they had. She fell in love with the Miyabi Kaizen 5.5" Santoku. She said it just felt right in her hand.

Then she should pick up a RR knife and see if she likes it, I agree $20 is a great price, but if the knife doesn't fit...knives should be an investment, not an impulse buy.

Then she should pick up a RR knife and see if she likes it, I agree $20 is a great price, but if the knife doesn't fit...knives should be an investment, not an impulse buy.

Any ideas where she could try one? $20 I don't mind getting it. It would most likely be mine anyway. I guess the decision now is the Victorinoix or the Furi for a test?

Maybe I should just get both. If she doesn't like one, I could always give it away.

I can't remember if BB&B carries the RR line. I live where there is no such thing as a walk in Sur la Table or Williams Sonoma.

the grocery store has $20 santuko styles - "brand name" like KitchenAid, etc. - but you can "try it , cheep"

I'm getting lost. Your wife does most of the cooking, she likes the 5.5 Santoku Miyabi. Price does not seem to be a major issue. Any VG 10 damascus knife going to be far superior to any of the other knives mentioned. A few of us here use VG10 knives. The only issues are going to be:

The knife should never be placed anywhere except your hand, a cutting board, or in proper storage. VG 10 will chip, it is sharp enough to be dangerous if grabbed. I would use a block or magnetic strip. Using it to pry open cans will be a no no. I don't even open packages with mine, I have a 6 dollar Forschner for that.

The knife will be extremely sharp out of the box, and can be made sharper. Unless you are willing to acquire the proper equipment, and willing to learn to sharpen, you will need the services of a good sharpener. The guy at the church yard sale is a bad choice. There are couple on this board. Rob Babcock does mine, I'm sure there are others. Rob sharpens a few for Japanese Knife Works, so is familiar with J knives.

Last edited:
... Unless you are willing to acquire the proper equipment, and willing to learn to sharpen, you will need the services of a good sharpener. The guy at the church yard sale is a bad choice. There are couple on this board. Rob Babcock does mine, I'm sure there are others. Rob sharpens a few for Japanese Knife Works, so is familiar with J knives.

A solid reason to go with the less expensive choice that can perform quite well. If, after some use, you want to move up, it's time to consider a J knife.

I agree Andy, but OTOH, $119.95 is not a bad price to get a wife want she wants.

It's not the $120.00 so much as the follow up care. Lots of folks don't want to be bothered with finding a custom sharpener, shipping a knife or knives to that person and waiting, knifeless, until they come back. No idea how much such a custom sharpening would cost on top of the two-way shipping.

Sorry that this discussion has been so up and down.

Yep, my wife and I agreed to just get the Furi 2 Santoku knife set for $40. We are going to use it as a test. If we can take care of these knives for 6 months, then we can get the Miyagi.

As far as sharpening, I know SLT does them for $1 per inch. So we can easily afford that once or twice a year. And then we will steel them once or twice a week.

Sorry that this discussion has been so up and down.

Yep, my wife and I agreed to just get the Furi 2 Santoku knife set for $40. We are going to use it as a test. If we can take care of these knives for 6 months, then we can get the Miyagi.

As far as sharpening, I know SLT does them for $1 per inch. So we can easily afford that once or twice a year. And then we will steel them once or twice a week.

Sounds like a good way to go. FWIW, I steel my knives after every use. Wash, dry, steel, store.

Sounds like a good way to go. FWIW, I steel my knives after every use. Wash, dry, steel, store.

Ha. We'll first see if we can keep them clean after use. Most likely I will steel them twice a week at night. I'll just put it in my calendar. I live by my calendar. As I tell the people at work...if it's not in my calendar, it is NOT going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom