Knife or Food Processor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought a cuisanart FP ten years ago and probably have used it ten times.I mostly use a knife because I don't want to wash everything.
I do have a mini FP that goes on my Cuisanart blender and it gets more use than the large one.It is perfect for pesto or hummus.I don't use the blender for much other than Hollandaise.

Mee tooooooo...... It sure doesn't deserve counter room either, and that means getting it out of the back porch cupboard, washing all the nooks and crannies after it's used and putting it back again.

I just reminded myself about how much I hate ironing too. :rolleyes:

I have a 10 cup Robot Coupe and a mini Sunbeam Oskar. I use both of them extensively. The small one is great for making nut flour for muffins and cakes, cookies, and choppinig celery and onion really small so I can eat it. The large one I have the grating and slicing plates with it. Great for slaw making and carrots for carrot cake along slicing potatoes for scalloped potatoes. I have plenty of counter space so they both sit out on the counter. I also have a mandoline, and that is more of a bother to use than is worth the effort. Most of my cooking is for the family. So they get the benefit of these appliances. :angel:

The right tool for the right job. I use a knife for chopping and most food prep, but I use my food processor all the time. The thing I use it for most is making bread. The thing can knead a batch of bread dough in under a minute!

I don't have any electrical appliances because the power is unpredictable here.
There is something to be said for doing everything by hand.
Labor of love.

Back when I used to eat carbs (deep sigh), I used the FP for my pizza dough. I like to use my knives, but for large quantities, or when I am in a hurry--out comes the FP. I can have veggie soup ready to cook in 2 minutes.

I chop with a knife, Slice with a hand slicer, grate with a box grater, and use a blender for mixing dried milk. No FP. No room! Not enough use to justify the counter space.

I'm a pretty keen FP user. For example, I can grate then chop several large potatoes in less time and with less effort than with a grater, and that includes cleaning the FP. I keep my knives sharp but have never had great knife skills, so the FP is a blessing. I must say, though, that I can make breadcrumbs more efficiently with a blender than with a processor.

I was very fortunate in that my first husband was a pro chef. He taught me my knife skills. My favorite prep job is peeling. He is the one who taught me that peeling toward yourself can be just as dangerous as cutting toward yourself. If your peeler blade is sharp enough, it can take off a nice layer or two of skin. My favorite things to peel are carrots, cukes, etc. Long strokes of peeling. When need be though, I can and do use the knife. I cut the carrots in medallions. I quarter potatoes. The smaller the cubes, the quicker they cook, the more engery saved. but I also use the FP. Big and small. Tonight I made some tuna salad. A small rib of celery, half onion, and one clove of garlic went intot the mini FP. In less thatn two seconds, cut into tiny peices that my digestive system could handle. It would have taken me at least a full minute to get all of that cut that fine. :angel:

Steve said it all with "the right tool for the right job". Addie, my husband sometimes jokes that he decided to marry me after watching me peel potatoes at a friend's house. She was laboriously peeling, as you described, towards herself. I grabbed and dug in. I have a good sized family, and Daddy loved potatoes, we ate them with almost every meal. I hated to do it, but boy could I peel potatoes and carrots -- fast. Don't ever remember skinning myself, either. Husband prefers pasta and rice to potatoes, but I can still peel a baker (Idaho, whatever) or carrot very quickly. Smaller potatoes I try to buy pretty enough to not have to peel! Those I'm not so good at.

Back to subject at hand .... last year bought that cuisinart with three interlocking bowls, and love it. The three different sizes allow you to, as Steve said, have the right size for the right job. Also allows you to jump from one project to another without having to stop and clean the FP in between.

Back to subject at hand .... last year bought that Cuisinart with three interlocking bowls, and love it. The three different sizes allow you to, as Steve said, have the right size for the right job. Also allows you to jump from one project to another without having to stop and clean the FP in between.

In the days of BFP I did more than my share of using my knife. First I got my large FP. Loved it. Actually my niece got it for me. There was a fire in her building. Bless her heart. The woman on the second floor just walked away and never returned to clean out her apartment. So welcome looters. My niece went in and took all the small appliances. I was the beneficiary of the Robot Coupe FP with all the attachments. For my little Sunbeam Oskar, the woman that lived in the apartment before me moved to Florida and never came back for her belongings in the cellar. Welcome to my home Little Oskar. Pure luck on my part. But I use both of them extensively. Do to age, my hands are slowly becoming disfigured with arthritis. Some days I am lucky if I can use a butter knife. I enjoy using and practicing my knife skills. But when I can't, I am grateful for my FPs. :angel:

I use a mix of both as there are a lot of things that are so much quicker and easier using the processor but other things are less fuss just to use the knife

I love using both for sure!

I chop my veggies whom brought her from some of the farms cultivated without chemicals with a knife , also I could use the knife with a Nuts and parsley ..lol

Back
Top Bottom