Know anyone that cant cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Little Miss J

Senior Cook
Do you know anyone that either can't cook at all or chooses not to cook at all?

I thought that everyone could cook until I went away to uni. I didn't stay on campus and cooked my own meals. In fact out of all my friends I was the only one that could cook (am not talking about fancy stuff but not even being able to steam vegies or bbq a steak). Previously I'd assumed that even if you didn't learn to cook at home you would pick it up at home ec at school (like plenty of my friends did).

That being said although I love to cook I am no means an expert and have plenty to learn. This forum definetely helping in that department.

LOL - Ex-Wives #1 and #2 couldn't boil water without burning it! :LOL: (actually - that's not that much of a joke ...or that far removed from reality) And both were straight-"A" students.

My sister has some coordination problems (physical disabilities) so cooking is no fun for her ... but she enjoys it the couple of times a year when we get together for family reunion. My Step-Mom used to own a restaurant - but she is 85 - so tossing a TV dinner into the microwave is a major production for her some days. My Daughter ... well, she never liked to cook. My sons, however, love to cook and were both restaurant kitchen managers.

Some people only find joy in cooking in a group setting ... some live to cook, some cook to live, some know the number of the local pizza/chinese takeaway better than they do their parent's number - well, unless they are calling home for money.

This is not about someone who can not cook, but my cousin has a client who owns a town house in downtown Washington DC and NYC, neither townhouse has a kitchen. The DC place they had remoldeled to eliminate the kitchen, the place in NYC came with no kitchen. Is this a trend??

My EX-D-I-L could not cook by choice. She didn't do girl things like cleaning and laundry. She had a Masters in Psychology. She did not want children either. She had good jobs but always hated them preferring to hang out at the gym but not exercise..... Now at 41 yrs got a boob job, remarried and pregnant. Married an airline pilot so she could travel the world free! There is some justification in life!

My husband cannot cook anything complicated, even the basics are hard for him, so he chooses not to cook. I am a good cook, so I choose to do the cooking around here.

My oldest sister, refuses to cook. They eat out every night. She has all this expensive cookware and gadgets, and doesn't use them but a couple times a year!! I wish she would have a yard sale!! LOL
My niece, her daughter, cooks, but, doesn't like to most of the time. She does when her kids are there for the weekend or in the summer. But she loves food! I can bring her anything to try and she'll eat it. I'm the big cooker in the this family. It may not be some big thing, but, I enjoy cooking and try out new things on them.

Neither of my daughters is very interested in cooking. My eldest has a very limited repertoire and is not interested in adding to it.

I know more people who can't cook than those who can cook. It's just not their thing. I guess pretty much anyone could cook if they really wanted to. They just find it to be so much of a chore & they don't enjoy it. I think one of the reasons that I'm so passionate about cooking is because I have a wonderful captive audience. My husband will try anything & he likes most everything I cook. (Hey, they can't all be winners!) The folks at my church & my co-workers are always so grateful for my efforts. They all keep me trying different things & on a constant search for the next best thing. They all wait to see what I will come up with next. If they weren't so encouraging, I might not be quite as passionate about cooking as I am! I cook for others - it's one way to show my love for them & it's the best way I know how! :)

You remind me of my eldest daughter, Little Miss J. She had an apartment from junior year in college (only 3 years ago), and she was the only one who cooked. They all loved her food, and she made mostly everday kinds of things like meatloaf or meatballs and mashed potatoes with veggies. Simple things. The aroma from her cooking wafted upstairs and the one of the guys who lived there came down one night to deliver or return something and said he'd smelled the food and thought he'd died and gone to heaven. My middle daughter finds it difficult (gross) to handle raw meat, which cuts out a lot of different dishes for her.
You will surely have a great time here!

I always seem to get stuck in the kitchen where ever I go....so I guess everyone I know can't cook...or they "convieniently" forget how to when the chef is around.....pfffffffff. ;-)

It's the intimidation factor. "How can I cook for a professional chef? He'll hate what I make."

^^^

But they know, i cook x amount of stars, and eat NO star... I am a firm believer, it ALWAYS tastes better when someone else cooks it. heck, I'm down for a 10oz Burger with Gouda, bacon , and red onion, 6 out of7 nights aweek.

I think they like to pawn it off on me?

bethzaring said:
This is not about someone who can not cook, but my cousin has a client who owns a town house in downtown Washington DC and NYC, neither townhouse has a kitchen. The DC place they had remoldeled to eliminate the kitchen, the place in NYC came with no kitchen. Is this a trend??

omg no kitchen - where do they put the fridge? and the kettle? or don't they have one?!

I was in the Washington DC town house before it was remoldeled, it was a four floor apartment with the kitchen taking up most of the third floor. It was made into two, two floor apartments. The wife never did cook, the husband made smoothies only. I am hoping they put in a beverage bar at least, the stove/cooker/range and kitchen area was eliminated to create more living space. I can't imagine living without a kitchen.

Actually, I heard of that trend. It was some show on Publick Radio couple of years ago, they were talking about Manchaten, and how people opt for small microwave oven or a toaster, but no kitchen, justa small refrigerator. If I had mony I'd opt for huge comerecial/restaraunt style kitchen, but that's just me.

I think I said it on another thread, but I have a freind who claims she is going to make a dust ruffle for her stove. Her POSSLQ does all the cooking. A lot of people, women in particular, get so they hate cooking because of a slew of fussy-eating spouse, kids, freinds, relatives. It becomes a matter of not being able to please anyone, and the effort just isn't worth it. One kid decided to become a vegetarian, one person is on Atkins, one person has diverticulitis, one has allergies, one won't touch anything spicy or hot. I even met a man who didn't believe food should be cooked to a specific heat. If you are raised in a household like that, you're unlikely to develop a love of cooking. I love to cook; but a good reason I do is that my mother did and I always have an appreciative audience. It's a pleasure to cook for people who send lots of love your way for doing it. If I had to cook for some women I know's families (sorry, bad grammar but don't know a better way to write it) I'd quit. I know husbands who actually trained their kids to insult their wives' cooking. I know this sounds sexist, it is because of experience and my age group. The husbands would do something flashy in the kitchen every few weeks then wonder why their wives (who for the most part had jobs outside the home as well) didn't like to cook -- even though they were making 3 meals a day all the other days. Luckily I think this situation is getting better; I now know lots of men who do the cooking. But a lot of people don't cook (I won't say "can't" because they don't want to) don't because of what they've seen -- drudgery, not joy.

omg - am so glad I have had nearly all positive cooking experiences and an appreciative audience!

If I went through some of the experiences that you mentioned Clare I don't think I would like cooking either.

Sandyj said:
My middle daughter finds it difficult (gross) to handle raw meat, which cuts out a lot of different dishes for her.

I must confess I am the same way... I have a boxful of disposable rubber gloves for this purpose, and most of the time I use filleted or minced portions to minimize the handling. If not, my partner Cristiano takes care of the business, including cleaning fish... thank god he volunteers for it!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom