L.A. eatery charged with serving whale meat closes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something will come along to take it's place. There's a huge underground of restaurants that serve dishes that are traditional in some parts of the world, but don't meet US regulations for one reason or another. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. That's just the way it is.

I hope they throw them in prison with the maximum sentence....:mad: ie the Marine Mammal Protection Act.
There is no longer any reason to hunt whales in a world where petroleum has replaced whale oil, whale meat is no longer necessary for survival and we know so much about the intelligence and complex social lives of whales. Although I'm repulsed by some cultures eating dogs and cats, it's against international law to eat whale.

Japan also has an exception. I do not remember the specifics, but it was something like if the whale was killed for research then the meat could be sold as food.

Japan also has an exception. I do not remember the specifics, but it was something like if the whale was killed for research then the meat could be sold as food.

The facts are this.....scientific whaling is nothing more than an instrument of profit and politics used to circumvent the moratorium on commercial whaling. Japan's 'scientific whaling' program is subsidised by the Government of Japan, and the meat from the whales is sold on the Japanese market, yielding millions of dollars in profits from whale meat. Japan has killed more than 650 whales per year under the guise of 'scientific whaling' There is simply no way to justify the slaughter of hundreds upon hundreds of these protected animals a year for "research". They want the whale meat to eat. Simple as that.

I do not disagree with you Kayelle. It does not change the fact that they have an exemption to do it, even there are those who consider it morally reprehensible.

We need to be careful with this conversation though and not bring politics into it as that is not allowed here.

I think people should eat whatever they like and want. Laws are laws, but I do not have to agree with them. Not that I would eat a whale.

There are a lot of things that Americans do not eat but other people do. There a lot of things that is considered delicasy in other parts of the world where in America people would consider them gross and would not touch them, law or not law. It is such a touchy subject.

Charlie, I do not think the outrage stems from eating something others find gross. I think it comes from eating animals that have been close to the brink of extinction before.

GB, I know, but I would not eat whale because to me it's sounds gross, not because it is protected animal. I have my own instructions on what and how to eat. If people follow those instructions they would not be eating whale or dolfins.

Back
Top Bottom