La farinata

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di reston

Sous Chef
Hello again, dear friends!

First of all, thank you all for offering condolences and help during a very difficult time.

This recipe really comes under the title 'road food'. It's typical of the riviera west of Italy and France, and is one of the best road foods I have ever tasted!

Three 'musts' are indispensible: Here is the recipe:

Farinata must be made with gram flour, finely milled. This flour is essential.

Here is the list of ingredients, regrettably, I'm useless at math, and I get into a muddle no how much I try:

90g chick pea flour
270 ml water
salt to taste
Olive oil on the base of the pan.

Mix the batter well, and pour thinly into the pan

The plates must be made from heavy plates (1135grams), with a tooled base, indentations (1cm each) on the steel side and on the copper side undulations of the same size. Quite a piece of kit!

Don't stir the batter - it's rather like doing pancakes in that respect, except, because you're looking for a thin 'pancake'.

To serve, you will have to cut slices of wedges, otherwise it could fall to bits.

These are very 'more-ish'. It's very likely that you may want more!

One caveat: keep the 'pancakes' thin, and use a palette knife to portion it up.

I'm going to have a go to get a picture to show you! Not now, but when I have more time to do it.

di reston

That's the one! You could use a cast iron one but I don't know quite how it would turn out, but try. It's worth a try, and the results are delicious!

di reston

Back
Top Bottom