Labor/Labour Day Dinner 9/2/13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sunday gravy here too. I roasted a bunch of our tomatoes, onions and garlic yesterday evening and today it is sauce. I'm still trying to decide what noodles to serve with it.

Yep. The frog legs are in that big storage space in the sky... my tummy :yum:

Sunday gravy here too. I roasted a bunch of our tomatoes, onions and garlic yesterday evening and today it is sauce. I'm still trying to decide what noodles to serve with it.

I wish I knew how to make sauce like that. I never tried with fresh tomatoes. The best I can do is use tomato sauce and paste. At least it's not Ragu!! LOL

I wish I knew how to make sauce like that. I never tried with fresh tomatoes. The best I can do is use tomato sauce and paste. At least it's not Ragu!! LOL

Do a search. There are several recipes here for Sunday gravy. Put in Buckytom for the member who posted it.

Warning: It makes a lot, so there will be leftovers ;)

Did BT's use fresh tomatoes?
I made one of his recipes once and it called for canned.

Did BT's use fresh tomatoes?
I made one of his recipes once and it called for canned.

Maybe so. Maybe Alix will post her recipe :) I think an equal amount of fresh could be substituted, though. Roasting tomatoes is just like roasting anything else. 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes for tomatoes.

Last edited:
Michael Smith’s Grenadian Caramel Nutmeg Chicken | Reader's Digest Open Kitchen

I don't have any rum, so will have to skip that (sigh). I am also using chicken thighs.

with a bunch of veggies from the garden on the side.
I didn't like this--I found the nutmeg was bitter. Could have been my nutmeg. So, I added some honey, garlic, habanero hot sauce, grated fresh ginger, hoisin sauce, cinnamon. After I removed the chicken, I thickened the sauce and added the juice of one small lime at the end. That was much better. So I changed a Grenadian recipe to one with Asian overtones. I also had kimchi as a side.

Do a search. There are several recipes here for Sunday gravy. Put in Buckytom for the member who posted it.

Warning: It makes a lot, so there will be leftovers ;)

I found a really long thread about spaghetti sauce and Buckytom had his recipe there, along with many others, lots of tips, variations. The best thing I learned was to simmer the sauce without a lid to thicken it. My step-son came to live with us when he was 11. His mother and maternal grandmother were Italian and he loved their sauce. One time he asked me if I could make thicker sauce, but I told him I didn't know how to make it thicker. Now he's 47, and I'm just learning how to make it thicker. LOL I also liked the idea about cooking the meat in milk instead of just browning it. Never heard of that before.

Back
Top Bottom