Lamb Shank Alcohol Substitue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yajee

Assistant Cook
Hello folks, new to the forum and hoping you guys can help me out.

I'm gonna attempt to cool lamb shanks for the first time in a few days and the recipe I was looking at uses red wine, I need this to be an alcohol free recipe so what can I use as substitute for it?

I'm gonna try and see if I can locate some alcohol free red wine, if I am able to, would that do? And again, if I can't find any I'd appreciate ideas on substitutes.

Also what kind of a pot/dish should I be using to cook them in the oven?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Discuss Cooking, Yajee.

It would be easier to help with both of your questions if we knew more about the recipe. Is there a link to it?

If there is a lot of wine in the recipe, I would substitute either lamb stock, if I had any or chicken stock, which is easier to come by.

For the wine, just leave it out. Add water or broth in its place if the missing amount of liquid is a problem.

Cook it in a saucepan with a lid.

Hello @taxlady and @HeyItsSara, thanks for responding so fast.

Ok so I just came across this recipe which is different to the original one I was using. He mentions using vegetable or chicken stock, something @taxlady just pointed out, thank you for that. But my question is, is that the substitute that would get me closest to that taste it would've had with the wine? Or is there something better. I see

Plus I see he used a standard stainless steel pot, so I'll grab one of them.

For the wine, just leave it out. Add water or broth in its place if the missing amount of liquid is a problem.

Cook it in a saucepan with a lid.
You know what it seems like this will probably be the easiest option, some broth. Although if I do find some alcohol free wine, I will give it a shot with that.

My first post and a lot of fast and helpful responses, much appreciated!

Also if you pros know or have a go to lamb shank recipe that you think is the bees knees please do share a link.

Alcohol is often used in recipes because some flavours dissolve in alcohol. Other flavours dissolve in water or fats. That's why I asked about the recipe. Alcohol is also very good at deglazing a pan. Unless there is a large amount of alcohol, I don't think its flavour makes a big difference.

You know what it seems like this will probably be the easiest option, some broth. Although if I do find some alcohol free wine, I will give it a shot with that.

My first post and a lot of fast and helpful responses, much appreciated!
Just make sure that the handles and lid are heat proof for the oven temperature.

Oops, I meant to put this reply with the stuff about using a pot in the oven.

Alcohol is often used in recipes because some flavours dissolve in alcohol. Other flavours dissolve in water or fats. That's why I asked about the recipe. Alcohol is also very good at deglazing a pan. Unless there is a large amount of alcohol, I don't think its flavour makes a big difference.
Cool, I was unaware of that, many thanks for the clarification.

Yajee, You never did say just how much wine was asked for.
But you did say red wine, with that I find there is a huge difference between adding red and adding white to a recipe. You can definetly tell a flavour with the red. The white not so much and subbing chicken broth is fine.
You could also consider Red wine Vinegar but this is all conjecture depending on how much is required.

But you did say red wine, with that I find there is a huge difference between adding red and adding white to a recipe. You can definetly tell a flavour with the red. The white not so much and subbing chicken broth is fine.
You could also consider Red wine Vinegar but this is all conjecture depending on how much is required.
This is what I do - replace the wine with about 2 tbsp red wine vinegar to 1 cup of chicken broth.

The recipe asks for 500ml/2 cups of it?

Back
Top Bottom