Lang Smokers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nascarfantom99

Assistant Cook
I've been smoking for a while and Im going to jump into a big trailer smoker and Im looking at buying a 84 Lang Smoker. Do any of you have one and can share pictures and your experience. Right now I don't have a clue about Lang Smokers other than they use whole wood. They say they hold the perfect trump. Im just going to spend $6000 and its hard not knowing if your going to like it or love it. I like to read others review etc on Lang smokers.

I do plan to do some BBQ catering in 2013 so I know its a good smoker if you learn it. I have nothing to compare it to

Great question and great thread! I unfortunately dont have the answers for this question, but I have been looking at a Lang 60, brand new for 3450, or a used "84 used, for 3900. Someone here said he wouldn't take one for free...

Lang is a great smoker. They are reverse flow for the main cooking chamber, and yes they can "hold the perfect temp" IF and when you learn how to build the right size fire, and you load in the right sized log every 45 minutes to an hour.
If your fire is too large, it'll overheat, and if you don't feed the fire as it needs it, your temperature will drop on you.

That cowboy that boozer mentioned (that wouldn't take one for free) either has more money than he knows what to do with, or he can't control the temperature (or maybe he's never seen a Lang in person?).

They look really good if you are set up and use them to draw in the crowds, since they have the more "traditional" look to them.

I kinda like my sleep, so I own a few insulated smokers that'll feed their fuel themselves by way of that law of gravity that obummer hasn't tried to repeal (yet).

Thanks for the information. So far Lang is what I plan to buy. Even when I cook on my weber I stay up half the night. I notice in one of the videos that he keeps feeding the chamber wood before he starts to cook to get lots of coals. Not sure if that helps with long cooks. I can't see being up all night only to serve food all day and then stay awake all night again. I have nothing to compare it to yet. But I'm guessing any wood smokers you need to watch it overnight so either way your going to lose some sleep.

Thanks for the information. So far Lang is what I plan to buy. Even when I cook on my weber I stay up half the night. I notice in one of the videos that he keeps feeding the chamber wood before he starts to cook to get lots of coals. Not sure if that helps with long cooks. I can't see being up all night only to serve food all day and then stay awake all night again. I have nothing to compare it to yet. But I'm guessing any wood smokers you need to watch it overnight so either way your going to lose some sleep.

You can use charcoal to build that bed of coals.

I don't stay up to watch the fire, unless I really want to. I use charcoal and wood and a little bit of gravity.

I have a Lang 48 and love it, you do have to learn fire management in them.

The used one I wanted got sold too. Looks like we both get brand new smokers!:partyman:

Not sure where the offset creosote factory fetishes are coming from. Yall need to sober up. Get a Stumps or Back Woods Smoker.

they are Reverse Flow smokers. Not offset or direct smokers. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

they are Reverse Flow smokers. Not offset or direct smokers. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
True.

ANY smoker can be a "creosote factory" if the fire isn't managed correctly though.
Even a 'lectric or a gasser can become lined with creosote if ya don't pay attention and use proper cooker hygene.:cool::LOL:

Last edited:
True.

ANY smoker can be a "creosote factory" if the fire isn't managed correctly though.
Even a 'lectric or a gasser can become lined with creosote if ya don't pay attention and use proper cooker hygene.:cool::LOL:
Cleaning the smoker is the second crappiest part of BBQing, right after chopping wood.

lang smokers

i halve a lang 60 yes you must feed it every 45 min. to 1 hr. and you need to know fire management as the man from JAMBO PITS will tell you any 3rd. grader whith his brains knocked out can run a stumps or a backwoods yes it takes more work to use a lang but the finished product can not be beat stick burners produce better bbq period

i halve a lang 60 yes you must feed it every 45 min. to 1 hr. and you need to know fire management as the man from JAMBO PITS will tell you any 3rd. grader whith his brains knocked out can run a stumps or a backwoods yes it takes more work to use a lang but the finished product can not be beat stick burners produce better bbq period

And they are very easy to clean if you can work a garden hose, you clean and sterilize before each cook, takes about 4 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom