Lard-less Carnitas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
While I love good Carnitas, I refuse to make them at home due to the large amount of fat I would have to acquire and then dispose of.

So are there any alternative methods that turn out well?

BTW… there is a spot not too far down the hill from me that will prepare a pound of some of the best I've had, with all the fixin's, for about 14 bucks! So maybe this is just not worth doin' from home (and up until now it hasn't).

Thank you Andy… that is a great article that made perfect sense to me (except the cinnamon (c;).

I thought about braising and then pan frying, but his method appears to result in a more authentic texture. Plus my toaster oven does an incredible job at crisping things up. Really like the idea of shredding and freezing, and crisping up the portion you want just prior to serving.

Again, my thanks.

My favorite Carnitas recipe is a Sous Vide Carnitas from Serious Eats too. 185F for 8 hours, no fat needed, using the broiler like the one above. I too freeze portions and just crisp it before use. I've got one in the sous vide now!

I make carnitas/shredded pork in my instant pot/pressure cooker. No lard needed.

For carnitas, I use leftover pork shoulder or boneless ribs that have quite a bit of fat, cut into small pieces. As they cook, fat pools in the pan. No need to add any.

carnitas, as with most pork, is filled with fat already so it sounds to me like supporting the restaurant that'll make the bomb carnitas for you and for so cheap is the way to go here!! i do not enjoy having to dispose of fat/oil too so i get your dilemma. my mom usually makes home made chicharrones with the fat bits she cuts off before cooking there carnitas too, maybe that'll make it more rewarding for you :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom