Late Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imp

Assistant Cook
I had the turkey discussion before Thanksgiving, I think, so rather than re-hash it, I thought I would show my wife's work on the biggest turkey she has microwaved to date, 17 lbs.

Ready to start:

Other side:

He easily fit in our big Sharp oven. This time I talked her into using Micro/Convect Mix; in the past, she used straight microwaves. Results pretty identical, less cook time this way, I believe.

Here's what he looked like after only 20 minutes:

Done! Total cook time 140 minutes. Just a tad over 2 hours, internal meat temperature checked out at 175 degrees F, breast meat tender & juicy!

She initially sprinkled some type of poultry seasoning on it before starting. Made a sort of mottled appearance. I know better than to intrude upon her methods as she goes along!

LOL, you guys and the nuker.

Well done. It ain't a Rockwellian turkey, but it looks good.

Needs gravy.

Reactions: imp
LOL, you guys and the nuker.

Well done. It ain't a Rockwellian turkey, but it looks good.

Needs gravy.
Thanks! It was positively delicious; a reasonable portion of "drippins" resulted in the bake pan, which my wife quickly withdrew from my ability to discard it. She proceeded to place most of the carcass pieces in the "broth", boiled it on the stove, and showed me what old-fashioned cooking was about: those small "tinglets" of meat clinging to the bones here and there, magically fell off during this process, and were saved and preserved......plus, we now have a large amount of frozen turkey to use in the near future.

She wavers between the savory past and the current technology, and I love her for it! Though, I sometimes fail to understand......

Back
Top Bottom