Lazy and cheap needs micro advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2catstango

Assistant Cook
Hi,
When it comes to cooking, I'm very lazy. But, I need to start because I'm tired of tv diners (lazy and cheap) and eating out (not real cheap). I don't have a working oven, but I have a small, cheap, crappy microwave. I had a rice cooker but it was too big for my needs. I broke the old crock pot.

So, I'm thinking about buying a microwave/convection oven. These aren't cheap. I was wondering if a microwave without the convection part is good enough to cook box casserole like things. I really don't know much about microwaves either. I heard once that a microwave needs to be 1000 watts or better. Any suggestions?

I don't know anything about a convection oven so I can't help you there but what about a toaster oven. I've used these in the past when I didn't want to heat up the kitchen by using the oven. I even made mini meatloaves in it.

I would go with a good microwave oven (yes, 1,000 watts, and a turntable) and a toaster oven. You can broil meat in the toaster oven, make (duh!) toast, bake potatoes, biscuits, etc. With the right microwave cookware you can do a lot more than reheat in your microwave. You can even make a cake in there (with a box mix), and it doesn't even need oil! Now, if you want to bake cakes, pies, etc. and roast chckens, etc., you may want to go with the microwave/convection oven.

:) Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom