Lefsa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thumpershere2

Head Chef
Does anyone out there make lefsa? I'm going to try and make some for hunting season for the guys. I have made it before years ago. I do have a lefsa stick and a flat round cast iron griddle. I hope this works. In the past I used a lefsa grill but they are so expensive for such little use. Anyone try making lefsa on a cast iron grill before?

here's my lefse recipe, but it is not potato lefse and it is baked in the oven - depends what part of Scandanavia you (your parents) came from whether you make potato lefse or flour lefse. Anyhow, it's good!

lefse.gif

Skoal!

here's a good potato lefse recipe...

Lefse
from “The Finnish Cookbook” by Beatrice Ojakangas
Makes 20 lefse

2 1/2 pounds Russet Burbank potatoes
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling dough
Soft butter, sugar, and cinnamon, for serving

Peel potatoes, and cut into quarters. Place in a medium saucepan.
Cover with cold water, and bring to a simmer.
Keep potatoes at a low simmer until a skewer slips in and out easily, about 20 minutes.
Drain potatoes in a colander. Allow potatoes to sit until cool enough to handle.
Put potatoes through a ricer, or place in a large mixing bowl, and mash using a potato masher.
Beat in butter, cream, sugar, and salt. Refrigerate overnight, uncovered.

The next day, add flour. Stir until well blended.
Divide into twenty equal portions.
Heat lefse griddle, electric fry pan, or pancake griddle to 400°.
On a floured surface, roll out the balls of dough until very thin, making circles about 10 to 12 inches in diameter.
Using a long, thin spatula, transfer to the heated griddle and cook on each side. Stack between two terrycloth towels, and cover with a plastic bag.
To serve, spread lefse with soft butter, and fold into quarters or roll up.
To serve on a tray along with cookies, spread lefse with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, and roll up.
Cut rolls on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces.
To freeze, fold lefse into quarters, and wrap until airtight in foil or plastic wrap.
To serve, remove from freezer, thaw, and reheat in foil in oven at 300°, 10 to 15 minutes.

Good Luck!

Lefsa recipe?

Does anyone know of a lefsa recipe using instant potatoes? I'd like to try it. :chef:

I grew up eating and making potato lefse, never heard of flour/oven lefse....will have to try that.

I've always used my flat cast iron griddle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom