Leftovers in crock pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hollywood0723

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum but love the content here!
This evening I cooked a sausage and potatoes recipe in the crock pot. I let it cook for 5-5 1/2 hours. After turning the crock pot off and having our meal, it was about 2 hours before I put the rest of the meal (still hot) in the freezer to cool as quickly as possible. My question is did I let it sit in the crock pot too long? It wasn't extremely hot so I'm not worried about cooling the freezer too much. Also is it ok to move from freezer to refrigerator as we plan on finishing this in the next couple days? Just want to make sure we're safe :)

Welcome to DC! Shouldn't be a problem, though I usually put my CP leftovers in the fridge first, then portion them up for the freezer. They do just fine in the fridge for a few days.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! I went freezer first just to cool the containers as quickly as possible. Then put it in the fridge because it's usually gone in a day or two :)

Thanks for the reply! I went freezer first just to cool the containers as quickly as possible. Then put it in the fridge because it's usually gone in a day or two :)

If it were me I'd remove it from the crock pot and store it in a storage container. Either in total or in meal size portions. I wouldn't bother with the freezer. If consumed within a few days the reefer will do just fine. Longer I'd freeze in meal size portions.

I don't believe there is a safety issue that can be solved by a few minutes shorter cooling in the freezer rather than the refrigerator.

Back
Top Bottom