Legal Hash?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
:LOL::ROFLMAO::ohmy:
I tried a new recipe today for beef hash.It was quickly tossed in the disposal.

My mom would take left over roast beef, potatoes,onions.Ran them through her meat grinder.Added s&p.I can't remember what else she put into it.Maybe ketchup,worcestershire sauce to.
I'm suspecting she also used the leftover gravy.Added it all to a large skillet.
That's all I remember. I really want hash for dinner.

When I talk to her lately she's easily frustrated trying to speak.So asking her what she put into my favorite comfort dinner isn't possible.

Today's mess was using leftover prime rib.chopped potatoes.chili sauce.worcestershire,s&p.That wasn't Mom's!

Anyone have a good recipe?

Thank you

Munky.

I'm not sure hash should have a recipe. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I usually make it with the leftovers from a pot roast.

Leftover potatoes, carrots, onions and meat roughly chopped then fried low and slow in a CI skillet. I like it chunky and crispy. I usually start with the potatoes and add the other items towards the end of the cooking. You can also add a little leftover gravy to it, press it into a pancake and let it brown. The only rule that my Mother and Grandmother used with hash and other leftover foods is to always add at least one new ingredient to the dish. With hash that is usually a fresh onion or green pepper. A splash of Worcestershire sauce is also pretty standard at my house.

Last edited:
+1. Pretty much how I make it. I've never added gravy though, I just fry it up (I love the addition of bell peppers, too!) and mash it down with a spatula toward the end to get the nice little crunchies. :) Thanks for the reminder, I love roast beef hash and need to make it the next time I have leftover roast beef. Yummy.

I'm in line with Aunt Bea too, although I like a little cooked carrot in mine. It's likely you went wrong with the tomato/chili products Munky.

Last edited:
Pretty much Aunt Bea's version here too. We don't use carrot and we often sprinkle crumbled bacon on top. Fry everything in the bacon fat.

I'm in line with Aunt Bea too, although I like a little cooked carrot in mine. It's likely you went wrong with the tomato/chili products Munky.

Yeah... I think that chili sauce isn't quite what usually flavors hash. Worcestershire or A-1 or similar would work. I'd leave the ketchup for anyone who wanted it to add to their taste at the table.

I'm not sure hash should have a recipe. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I usually make it with the leftovers from a pot roast.

Leftover potatoes, carrots, onions and meat roughly chopped then fried low and slow in a CI skillet. I like it chunky and crispy. I usually start with the potatoes and add the other items towards the end of the cooking. You can also add a little leftover gravy to it, press it into a pancake and let it brown. The only rule that my Mother and Grandmother used with hash and other leftover foods is to always add at least one new ingredient to the dish. With hash that is usually a fresh onion or green pepper. A splash of Worcestershire sauce is also pretty standard at my house.

Hash has to Bea a recipe.What else is their?:ROFLMAO::angel:
Pretty sure I've seen it canned.Somewhere.
No wait! what I saw was canned dog food that looked like what I made today.

Today's lesson is?....GOOGLE LIES!!!:huh:
Your version is it.Mom used an electric skillet though.

Munky.

Hash has to Bea a recipe.What else is their?:ROFLMAO::angel:
Pretty sure I've seen it canned.Somewhere.
No wait! what I saw was canned dog food that looked like what I made today.

Today's lesson is?....GOOGLE LIES!!!:huh:
Your version is it.Mom used an electric skillet though.

Munky.

Hormel makes a roast beef and corned beef hash. Not bad if all else fails. You can doctor it up. I like the roast beef myself over the corned beef. And with a poached egg or two. :angel:

Seems like my dad was always traveling on business when we were kids, but when he was home he would make everyone breakfast on weekends. One of his specialties was hash. I think it went back to his Army days.

He would open the refrigerator door and start emptying stuff out onto the counter. Leftover meat, vegetables, soup... you name it. Then he would peel a few potatoes and onions, and dice them into small cubes.

Everything would go into a big cast iron skillet. First the potatoes, then the onions, followed by the already cooked items. If there was gravy around, that went in at the end. If there was no gravy, he might put in a little tomato juice, V8, or even ketchup in a pinch.

My job was to make the eggs. Over easy or sunny side up - it didn't matter - just as long as the yolks were still runny, so it would run all over the hash when you cut into it.

I don't think there's such thing as a real recipe to make hash. In my dad's world it was just a way to use up leftovers.

Last edited:
This may be sacrilege, but I make a breakfast hash with cut up sausage, potatoes, peppers, onions, bound with a bit of cheddar, then serve it with a couple of runny eggs on top...

I'm with you on the sausage and the runny eggs, but hold the cheese please!

It is also good when made with chopped kielbasa and if the cupboard is getting bare some hot dog coins!

I like hash made with corned beef and fried until it is crispy and almost scorched. This may sound scandalous but the old canned stuff tastes pretty good to me.

You really don't need leftover roast beef or corned beef. Believe it or not SPAM makes great hash. I first had it in Hawaii (Spam lovers of the world) and it's really really good. I keep a can of Spam around just for when the urge hits for a Spam hash breakfast, with eggs on top. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom