Lemon bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
www.thejaroudifamily.com/post/lemon-bars-plant-based-oil-free-refined-sugar-free-nut-free

Ingredients
Lemon Filling Ingredients:
3 cups of cooked Japanese sweet potatoes without the skins
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup non dairy milk (unflavored & unsweetened)
1/2 cup date paste (see how to make date paste here)
Zest of one lemon

Crust Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
6-8 dates pitted
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp non dairy milk (unflavored & unsweetened)
1 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
Zest of one lemon (optional)

I would really like to make these but we don't have white japanese sweet potatoes at our grocery store. Azure Standard has 3 lbs for $8.75. That seems like a bit much for sweet potatoes. Trader Joes which we've never gone to says they have them (Murasaki sweet potatoes), if we can get there.

Any ideas on what I could substitute for the japanese sweet potatoes in this recipe?

According to JOC (Just One C) you can use American Sweet Potatoes. It will be more orange, of course, but also less sweet. So you probably will have to adjust for that.

Mr Bliss attempted to stop at Trader Joes, but the directions he made for himself fell short and he didn't make it there.

We're still keeping our eyes open for the murasaki sweet potatoes in the meantime.
I could make them with orange sweet potatoes, maybe more towards a sour orange flavor. I haven't tried it yet.

I made a sweet treat of very concentrated cherry puree (from our trees from last year) with honey and dates and water. I blended that in the food processor. Then added pumpkin seeds, walnuts, and oatmeal until it was like a cookie dough texture. Pressed it into a parchment lined 8x8 inch pan, pressed the top flat, and refrigerated. I took them out of the refrigerator this morning, cut them into little cubes, and dusted them with powdered sugar so they didn't stick together. I'm refrigerating them. They are DELIGHTFUL, a little sour, sweet, and chewy. Fruit-Nut cubes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom