Let's talk mushrooms. anything--just bring it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so far, only the ones that are poisonous.:)

and even they taste good, before they kill you.

two of my favourite things to make with mushrooms in the summertime are shish kebabs with beer soaked (overnight is best) white button shrooms on the skewer, and grilled portabellas filled with melted gorgonzola and minced garlic.

I love raw mushrooms and so does my daughter, when I make a mushroom dish I buy 2 punnets. One to eat for us and one to cook with, otherwise we end up with hardly any left..lol! Mushroom pate is good too :)

Mushrooms are marvelous. They make almost any food better, from bread to steak, to fish, to (fill in the blank)!

My favorite "cheffy" tip for mushrooms: When the recipe calls for "wild" mushrooms and all you can find is the white button kind (or even -- sadly -- canned ones) while you are sauteeing them, (be sure to use lots of real butter) squirt a little lemon juice on them to freshen up their flavor. Then just before they're finished, toss in a handful of finely chopped flat leaf parsley. Amazing the transformation. As I said, it even works with canned mushies. Rinse them well (to help remove the "can" taste) and dry well. Then slice and proceed as for fresh.

Thank you for this tip ChefJune, I have a jar of straw mushrooms and a jar of oyster mushrooms...they both taste like the brine they are packed in. I will try your fix!:)

Thank you for this tip ChefJune, I have a jar of straw mushrooms and a jar of oyster mushrooms...they both taste like the brine they are packed in. I will try your fix!:)

It also helps after rinsing and drying them to dry fry them in a non-stick skillet for a few minutes before add the butter and seasonings. It helps get out some of the excess moisture and improves the texture a little. @ChefJune, I haven't tried using the lemon and parsley, it sounds like something I should try. Thanks for the tip. :)

It also helps after rinsing and drying them to dry fry them in a non-stick skillet for a few minutes before add the butter and seasonings. It helps get out some of the excess moisture and improves the texture a little. @ChefJune, I haven't tried using the lemon and parsley, it sounds like something I should try. Thanks for the tip. :)

Thanks, I didn't like the flavor (chemical, astringent), but have been too stingy to just toss them out.

did you know truffles are considered to be an aphrodisiac, just like oysters and artichokes? what kind of a specialty dish would you create, given a $500 truffle (the size of a baby pillow)? this was the challenge on masterchef tonight. timothy, i'll have a truffle dream to report on for your "what did you dream last night" thread tomorrow. it should make a nice companion piece for your sushi dream....:)

$500 worth of truffle...that's more people than I want on my aphrodisiac date night...but for Shrek and I, slightly burned Truffle Tapioca pudding.

I had some White Truffle Balsamic vinegar today...I wanted to reduce it to syrup and pour on French Vanilla ice cream.

I've never had truffles in any way shape or form :( Must try and find some! Can't die without ever tasting truffles, that would just be sad!

Truffle butter is not too pricy, and is a great way to get an even better flavor of the truffles than the oil or salt. Try frying eggs or potatoes with the truffle butter. Truly decadent. ;)

I've only had truffles once--they were heavenly! I guess I can die happy--I do like the truffle salt I picked up in Chicago...the truffle oil is also good, but I like the salt better.

Snip 13--you can buy prepaid visa cards. This is what I use for online buying. I only have one credit card--it is for emergency travel or veterinary care. I like cash.

Thanks :) Don't laugh, I must be the only person on the planet that doesn't own a credit card (I hate debt). Can I buy online with a debit card (visa) ?

You definitely can use a debit card. I do it all the time. I rarely use cash and never use a credit card. I love just swiping my card at the store. Much easier.

Back
Top Bottom