Let's talk mushrooms. anything--just bring it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
i just plain straight-up love mushrooms. i love the way they smell - raw, cooked, pickled, growing in the soil, in rotting wood...i love their many different fun shapes and their fine-grained textures. mostly though, i'm in crazy love with their wonderfully subtle earthy flavors--on their own, and also blending beautifully in with so many other foods. personally, i'm not about posting mushroom recipes - i don't really have any, i mostly just use, add and adore eating mushrooms. please share your mushroom recipes here....one more thing. i just heard, again, that raw mushrooms should never be eaten. is it really never? i love the taste of raw mushrooms and in salads....

Some wild mushrooms should be eaten raw with caution, but most of the mushrooms we buy are totally fine.

I have made it no secret that mushrooms are my favourite food group! I have posted a few recipes in the vegetables forum and may add a few more.

I sometimes buy a mix of all the mushrooms I can find fresh, then fry them with garlic and onions, make a cheesy bechemel and layer the mushroom mix with lasagna sheets and bechemel and top with mozza and bake for 40 mins till golden and bubbly. Yum!

Or flavour your rice by adding fried mushrooms with onion and butter.

Mushrooms are one of my favorite foods. They were on my list of foods that I can't live without. ;) I loved stuffed mushrooms, what they are stuffecd with doesn't matter. Also, sauteed with garlic and olive oil. One of hte best things DH and I have cooked over a campfire was sauteed mushrooms.

I sometimes buy a mix of all the mushrooms I can find fresh, then fry them with garlic and onions, make a cheesy bechemel and layer the mushroom mix with lasagna sheets and bechemel and top with mozza and bake for 40 mins till golden and bubbly. Yum!

Or flavour your rice by adding fried mushrooms with onion and butter.

anytime mushrooms come together with onions, a very special magic occurs. any time anywhere. magic. period.:)

Mushrooms

If you live on the East coast you'll find these growing on oak trees between September and November. If you live on the West coast they'll be found on fir trees around the same time of year. They're best taken after a rainy day. The eastern variety is called Laetiporus Sulphureus. The western one is L. Confericola. Both are referred to as Chicken of the Woods and are delicious sauteed in butter. There are no poisonous analogs for this 'shrrom.

Laetiporus sulphureus: The Chicken of the Woods (MushroomExpert.Com)

CA

Mushrooms are one of my favorite foods. They were on my list of foods that I can't live without. ;) I loved stuffed mushrooms, what they are stuffecd with doesn't matter. Also, sauteed with garlic and olive oil. One of hte best things DH and I have cooked over a campfire was sauteed mushrooms.

oh yesss! stuff 'em w/something, shish kabob 'em on the grill, saute 'em all day long, cooking mushrooms over a campfire--pure perfection....

Some wild mushrooms should be eaten raw with caution, but most of the mushrooms we buy are totally fine.

I have made it no secret that mushrooms are my favourite food group! I have posted a few recipes in the vegetables forum and may add a few more.

the warning prohibiting all raw mushroom consumption came most recently from dr. andrew weil, who imo can be rather intense at times, and so perhaps overly strict in some of his assessments. my plan is to indulge in this not-so-healthy practice (eating raw mushrooms) in moderation until further notice....

Oh, dear, I guess I'm dead. I've been eating raw mushrooms for years. Now, I will say I'm extremely cautious about wild mushrooms. As a friend who is a forager said to me, there are old mushroomers, there are bold mushroomers, but there are no old, bold mushroomers. As a general rule, I get my mushrooms from the grocery store and eat them raw/marinaded and/or cooked. When I can, I get morels. And, yes, I've been foraging many times in my life, but only with a very trusted guide.

Oh, dear, I guess I'm dead. I've been eating raw mushrooms for years. Now, I will say I'm extremely cautious about wild mushrooms. As a friend who is a forager said to me, there are old mushroomers, there are bold mushroomers, but there are no old, bold mushroomers. As a general rule, I get my mushrooms from the grocery store and eat them raw/marinaded and/or cooked. When I can, I get morels. And, yes, I've been foraging many times in my life, but only with a very trusted guide.

Claire, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I did an assignment on mushrooms for school and if you are cautious about the wild ones (I always cook them) you are totally fine eating the store boughts.

just once in my life i would like to experience mushroom foraging, maybe even truffle hunting - under carefully controlled conditions. mushroom gathering yes, skydiving no....:ohmy:

When I was young, my father would take us foraging. We collected puffballs, sulphur shelves, and, my favorite, morels. We would collect other mushrooms and do the spore test...I can't remember everything now, but I'm confident I would recognize a morel if I were to see one <g>. I read that morels, oyster mushrooms, and shitakes shouldn't be eaten raw. What's the issue with raw mushrooms? I've eaten raw mushrooms on salads for years, off of veggie trays, etc.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom