Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PBS offers Midsomer Murders, which we enjoy. The Great American Recipes also on PBS begins to grow on me. At first it was a clone of the British baking show but now there is more about ingredients and techniques that different home cooks use. We also like Penn and Teller's Fool Us which features magicians from around the globe. My husband the engineer likes to figure out how many of the tricks are done, and I like being amazed!

PBS offers Midsomer Murders, which we enjoy. The Great American Recipes also on PBS begins to grow on me. At first it was a clone of the British baking show but now there is more about ingredients and techniques that different home cooks use. We also like Penn and Teller's Fool Us which features magicians from around the globe. My husband the engineer likes to figure out how many of the tricks are done, and I like being amazed!
I watch the old episodes of Midsomer Murders on Ovation occasionally.

I hope PBS brings Father Brown back soon.

Was it really worth watching? DD and I started watching the first episode and it kind of dragged on. We never finished watching it...
We've really enjoyed it, but it did take a little getting used to. There is a lot of story line establishment that comes at you in the beginning. So many people to learn and how they connect to each other. The characters, especially Madge and Susie, talk so fast sometimes it's hard to take it all in. Himself's ears have a bit of a time keeping up with the dialog, but he gets the gist. Thankfully, we can back it up and listen again - or he just stops play and asks me what they said. :LOL: Having done theatre, I learn lines fast - and forget them even faster. :ermm: Like GG said, give it another try. If you make it through the first two or three episodes, you'll be hooked all the way through the current Season Four. Next year is the last for the series; they've already started on production.

You will see various errors in all sorts of places but I loved the series (midsomers) so much I couldn't have cared less - call it poetic license. LOL still made for good stories.

This thread seems to have gotten lost.

DH and I have been watching Outlander on Netflix. I watched the first few seasons several years ago, but I'm enjoying seeing it again with him.

Historical fiction is my favorite book genre, so I'm really loving the history in this series. I never learned about many of the events in the first few years of the series (Bonny Prince Charlie and the war between the Scots and the British). I'm also reading the books (I'm on book 5 now). I just love it all.

What have you been watching?

Since we no longer get PBS, we have been watching less TV. We do enjoy Jeopardy, which gives us a chance to compete with each other to see who gets the answer first, or is correct. Penn and Teller are still on, and we watch that show.
Frankly, we are tired of car chases, explosions, sexual innuendoes, and news programs that are promos for that network's programs.
Thank heavens for books and DVD's!

Since we no longer get PBS, we have been watching less TV. We do enjoy Jeopardy, which gives us a chance to compete with each other to see who gets the answer first, or is correct. Penn and Teller are still on, and we watch that show.
Frankly, we are tired of car chases, explosions, sexual innuendoes, and news programs that are promos for that network's programs.
Thank heavens for books and DVD's!
DH has a pretty stressful job, so he likes to watch fairly mindless TV like the various NCIS and Star Trek shows (after he walks the dog, rides his bike or goes for a run and works out in the attic). I am not into car chases and explosions, either, so after we watch an episode of Outlander together, I'm either reading or I watch The Great British Baking Show or something similar. I recently started re-watching Dharma and Greg, which is adorable ❤️

Last edited:
I've been watching/rewatching mostly English/European-style Detective mysteries of who-done-its. A lot of Agatha Christie, including Poirot, Miss Marple, there's Maigret, Midsomer Murders, etc.
They are mysteries not involving car chases, blowing ups, etc.

I've been watching/rewatching mostly English/European-style Detective mysteries of who-done-its. A lot of Agatha Christie, including Poirot, Miss Marple, there's Maigret, Midsomer Murders, etc.
I read most of Agatha Christie's books decades ago. I'll look for the mysteries. Thanks for mentioning it.

I too have read most her books, and, yes, already seen many of the TV shows. Still great and it takes me more than half way thru to remember some of the endings.
I'm getting these all on Prime. I have too much trouble with casting to Netflix. Everyone seems to use that bandwidth the most.
Plus after a while even casting Prime bogs down so my screen shrinks from the TV to the laptop or tablet (which ever is charged at the time).

where do you watch it?

Ahh, guess I should have said. They are on "Prime" within that I subscribe to Acorn and Britbox. I find they are worth it, especially Britbox. Easy to add-on and just as easy to take it off when you've watched the majority of them.

We just finished watching Lawmen: Bass Reeves, Season 1 (8 episodes) on Prime. We enjoyed it. The description reads: About the legendary lawman Bass Reeves, one of the greatest frontier heroes and one of the first Black deputy U.S. marshals west of the Mississippi River. Chase scenes are all on horseback. :ROFLMAO: It seems there will be a Season 2, not sure when.

DH and I started watching Madam Secretary for, I think, the third time lol I think it's one of the best shows ever made - smart dialog with suspense, light comedy, romance :wub: I love it.

Back
Top Bottom