Lets Vote Liver Off the Menu !!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maidrite

Contest Winner
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
3,113
Location
Pageland SC
I know I will get flak for this, But Liver from Chicken or Beef is just not good even in the onion sauce. I know I maybe weird but I can't even stand to smell it cook. Barbara and Barbara and my sisters are great cooks, But I have only found one good thing for Liver, Fish Bait and I will let it slide from there. Please don't tell me there is a better way cause I have tried it so many ways. P.S. I do like livercheese though. :) Have A Great Day:)
 

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
Joined
Feb 21, 2002
Messages
19,722
Location
North Carolina
But seriously Maidrite - I'm still unsure if you like liver or not - could you please be more specific and take a stance on this - no wishy-washy attitude about it, ok? :mrgreen:

I love liver - fried chicken livers - calves liver, liver cheese, Braunschweiger etc., fois gras - YOU NAME IT!

Now Maidrite - your turn to come clean - be honest!!!! :cool: :p ;)
 

wasabi

Executive Chef
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
4,677
I vote to keep liver on the menu. Love it breaded and pan fried with bacon and onions.:)


__________________________

img_94439_0_a04f5d0ceb4b2fbc462e1155d013e3d9.gif

 

norgeskog

Washing Up
Joined
Aug 28, 2004
Messages
3,615
Location
Eugene, Oregon
maidrite and kitchennisse, I love liver in certain applications: chopped liver - deli style, and rumaki which is small piece of chicken liver and half a water chestnut wrapped in a small piece of bacon and roasted or grilled until bacon crisp and have a teriakyi type dipping sauce. The rest I do not eat much of at all.
 

Bangbang

Executive Chef
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Messages
3,150
Location
USA,Michigan
I am a liver lover too. I grew up with organ meats. My mom cooked them almost every day. I say liver stays on the menu.
Try this.....
German Liver and Apples

5 tablespoons of butter (more or less)
2 onions, sliced
1 pound of calf liver, sliced
1/2 teaspoon of marjoram
2 apples, chopped
1 cup of apple juice or apple wine
Salt and pepper

Saute onion in butter until transparent. Add the liver and apples. Cook until brown on outside, pink on inside. Pour in the juice, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper and marjoram. Make a sauce by adding some heavy cream to pan.
 

Maidrite

Contest Winner
Joined
Feb 12, 2005
Messages
3,113
Location
Pageland SC
I knew I was in trouble when I started this one, Just let me hide with liver cheese and Brauschweiger and I will just fine. Ask Barbara she knows I must vote no to anything but Liver cheese and Brauschweiger. By the way I will admit I use to buy Brauschweiger buy the 10 pound tube you can eat that on anything. Up to 3 years ago I paid only .29 cents a pound for it. Thats what I paid for it in Iowa. But man those shrimp for Calabash NC YUMMY best I ever Had.
 

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
Joined
Aug 19, 2004
Messages
21,933
Location
My mountain
mmmm, like elfie, i absolutely love all kinds of livers. my fave is calf's just floured and cooked in herb butter, with irish bacon and raw onions and ketchup. sauteed onions if i have to.

chicken livers, sauteed in evoo with onions, hot peppers, and lots o' garlic is another good one.
 

crewsk

Master Chef
Joined
Aug 25, 2004
Messages
9,367
Location
Columbia, SouthCarolina
I hate beef liver! But, give me a plate of fried chicken livers with mashed potatoes & a thick cream gravy & you better get you hands away from that plate fast or you might wind up missing a finger or 2!:LOL:
 

Bangbang

Executive Chef
Joined
Jul 17, 2004
Messages
3,150
Location
USA,Michigan
crewsk said:
I hate beef liver! But, give me a plate of fried chicken livers with mashed potatoes & a thick cream gravy & you better get you hands away from that plate fast or you might wind up missing a finger or 2!:LOL:

Gotta add bacon to that. Woweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:!:
 

crewsk

Master Chef
Joined
Aug 25, 2004
Messages
9,367
Location
Columbia, SouthCarolina
I just coat my chicken livers in seasoned flour & deep fry them until the are golden brown. My grandma on the other hand used to fry hers in bacon grease. Talk about some good eatin'!!
 

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Messages
15,716
Location
Somewhere, US
I LOVE liver and onions! Along with mashed potatoes and peas---YUM! As I have explained to a certain person (are you listening Maidrite?), he just hasn't had it cooked right! But that's ok--more for me!

:) Barbara
 

norgeskog

Washing Up
Joined
Aug 28, 2004
Messages
3,615
Location
Eugene, Oregon
Barbara L said:
I LOVE liver and onions! Along with mashed potatoes and peas---YUM! As I have explained to a certain person (are you listening Maidrite?), he just hasn't had it cooked right! But that's ok--more for me!

:) Barbara

Barbara, I have found that calves liver also makes the difference. Beef liver is tough and strong tasting. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I had the menu you just wrote above about three times a week. A friend of my husbands who owned a restaurant put it on the menu just for me, planning to take it off when she was born. It became so popular he put it back on the menu, and this was a fancy dinner house, not a coffee shop or fast food place.
 

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
Joined
Apr 4, 2004
Messages
15,716
Location
Somewhere, US
norgeskog said:
Barbara, I have found that calves liver also makes the difference. Beef liver is tough and strong tasting. When I was pregnant with my daughter, I had the menu you just wrote above about three times a week. A friend of my husbands who owned a restaurant put it on the menu just for me, planning to take it off when she was born. It became so popular he put it back on the menu, and this was a fancy dinner house, not a coffee shop or fast food place.
You are right. I only like calves liver, as it is milder.

:) Barbara
 

crewsk

Master Chef
Joined
Aug 25, 2004
Messages
9,367
Location
Columbia, SouthCarolina
Norgeskog, I had fried chicken livers at least 3 times a week when I was pregnant with my daughter. My doc acctually took me off my iron suppliments because my iron level was getting too high!
 

Dove

DC Grandma
Joined
Dec 18, 2003
Messages
3,208
Location
USA,California
DH loves Liver and Onions..I hate Liver but can get Chicken Liver down if it has enough Ketsup on it.

While in N.C. at Camp Lejeune (Marine Base) they have a food court outside the exchange..I bought some Deep Friem Chicken Liver and Gizzereds. Wow! they were so good!
Dove
 

norgeskog

Washing Up
Joined
Aug 28, 2004
Messages
3,615
Location
Eugene, Oregon
crewsk said:
Norgeskog, I had fried chicken livers at least 3 times a week when I was pregnant with my daughter. My doc acctually took me off my iron suppliments because my iron level was getting too high!

crewsk, that is probably why I started craving liver, because of the iron. Come to think of it, I probably should begin eating it again.
 

Latest posts

Top Bottom