little help, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Griff

Master Chef
I'm technologically challenged. I blame it on too much fun in the 60s. Might be too much whiskey last night. None the less, I've tried several times and can't figure out how to attach a photo on a post. Can some one explain the process is really simple English?

Thanks.....Griff

I'll try but I'm sure someone will come along with a better explanation...

1st, when you're creating a post or replying to one, there's a:

Upload Image (hosting provided by www.ephotohut.net)

block underneath the text window. Browse to where your picture is and select it. The location of the picture on your hard drive is now in the Image block. Enter a Description if you like, and click on "Upload".

After a moment, your picture should be shown with several blocks underneath with options on how you would like to post your picture. I usually choose "Thumbnail for forums (1)" because it shows a smaller image in your post and when you click on that image, it takes you to a larger one.

Copy the information from that window using "Right Click" on your mouse and "Copy". Go to your post and "paste" (from right click) your image in the post where you want it. Click on "Preview" to see what your post will look like and it should show your text and the thumbnail image of the picture you uploaded.

Make any changes and Submit.

Here's an example:

Here's the example from above with "spaces" inserted so that the program doesn't automatically convert the link to an image"

Hope this helps and I welcome other replies as I ain't good at this shit! :razz:

I typed a reply but it took a while (driving) so I refreshed the page to see if anyone had replied in the interim. Your reply is better than mine (with a far prettier example pic--she's a doll!) so I'm dumping mine.

Griff said:
I'm technologically challenged. I blame it on too much fun in the 60s. Might be too much whiskey last night. None the less, I've tried several times and can't figure out how to attach a photo on a post. Can some one explain the process is really simple English?

Thanks.....Griff
Sure Griff, your pics need to be uploaded on to a web server somewhere, then you can link to them. Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) probably gives you some webspace and you can do it yourself, but it will be easier for you to use one of the numerous free image hosting services like www.shutterfly.com that Larry uses, Yahoo has one now as well and there are many others.

1. Get your pics in electronic format
Do this by scanning your photos on to your computer or load digital images on to your computer from your digital camera.

2. (Optional) Optimize the image file size
To reduce file size and minimize transfer time for you and the image recipients, check the file size and shrink the image using an image manipulation tool like Photoshop, the freebie Rahman (sp?) or even paintbrush. Shrink the size to 640 X 480 max (smaller can be OK too) and convert the file to a .jpg image (this is a compressed image). It's good to get on top of this from the start if you can. No matter what hosting service you use there will be a storage (amount of disk space your image files occupy on the image hosting server) or download bandwidth (the number of total bytes of data downloaded by image recipients when they view your pics) restriction. If you end up needing more of either eventually you will have to pay for your image hosting. Try to keep your pics under 100k (kilobytes, 102,400 bytes) in size. Smaller size is better. The conversion to .jpg is key here. For example, a 2,000,000 byte .bmp type image file might compress to 65,000 bytes when it is converted to a .jpg file.

3. Post your pics
follow the service providers instructions to upload your images on to their server

4. Link your pics
Now that your pics are available for download on a server somewhere, add a link to your post here on the forum. Follow the service providers instructions for linking to your pics. In this forum you have two choices: you can post Inline Images (use the Img button) or a URL. Inline Images appear within your post. The URL button creates a link in your post that when clicked opens the pictures in a new browser. Inline Images are appropriate for say 1 or 2 small (image file size) pictures. Use the URL to create a link if the images are of larger file size or there are many images or if your hosting service does not support direct links to individual files.

5. You are done. Have a beer.

Greg Rempe said:
view_links.cfm

Glad it's workin' fer ya... #-o

Niagara River Smoker said:
I'll try but I'm sure someone will come along with a better explanation...

1st, when you're creating a post or replying to one, there's a:

Upload Image (hosting provided by www.ephotohut.net)

block underneath the text window. Browse to where your picture is and select it. The location of the picture on your hard drive is now in the Image block. Enter a Description if you like, and click on "Upload".

After a moment, your picture should be shown with several blocks underneath with options on how you would like to post your picture. I usually choose "Thumbnail for forums (1)" because it shows a smaller image in your post and when you click on that image, it takes you to a larger one.

Copy the information from that window using "Right Click" on your mouse and "Copy". Go to your post and "paste" (from right click) your image in the post where you want it. Click on "Preview" to see what your post will look like and it should show your text and the thumbnail image of the picture you uploaded.

Make any changes and Submit.

Here's an example:

Here's the example from above with "spaces" inserted so that the program doesn't automatically convert the link to an image"

Hope this helps and I welcome other replies as I ain't good at this shit! :razz:

Cute kid Bill, if shes your daughter she must take after your wife! Good luck when she gets older, you will have to beat the boys away with a bat!

LOL! She does! But, how would you know??? :eek: And hell with the bat! That's like bringing a knife to a gun fight! :grin: :grin:

Bill

cute kid...I'd give anything if my daughter was that age again...she's 13 now....enjoy this time....that age range is my favorite time. It's amazing what kids will do for you.

Captain Morgan said:
Bill

cute kid...I'd give anything if my daughter was that age again...she's 13 now....enjoy this time....that age range is my favorite time. It's amazing what kids will do for you.

Capt. it gets better again. My daughter is 19 now, if I knew they would all be like her, I'd have 100!

Captain Morgan said:
Bill

You got that right, Capt'n! She's 4 and my son is 7...Bri and I spend every day together while my son is in school. It's alot of fun and I'm soaking up as much as this old man can!! :(

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":3v9btbww]Bill

Capt. it gets better again. My daughter is 19 now, if I knew they would all be like her, I'd have 100![/quote:3v9btbww]

19... Got pictures? 8-[

Chris Finney said:
[quote="Nick Prochilo":13oyvo9r][quote="Captain Morgan":13oyvo9r]Bill

Capt. it gets better again. My daughter is 19 now, if I knew they would all be like her, I'd have 100![/quote:13oyvo9r]

19... Got pictures? 8-[[/quote:13oyvo9r]

Thats not right! There goes my vote for you this month for MVP! Larry, wheres Larry? I think I'm gonna vote for him!

Nick Prochilo said:
[quote="Chris Finney":2z5i0fw7][quote="Nick Prochilo":2z5i0fw7][quote="Captain Morgan":2z5i0fw7]Bill

Capt. it gets better again. My daughter is 19 now, if I knew they would all be like her, I'd have 100![/quote:2z5i0fw7]

19... Got pictures? 8-[[/quote:2z5i0fw7]

Thats not right! There goes my vote for you this month for MVP! Larry, wheres Larry? I think I'm gonna vote for him![/quote:2z5i0fw7]
Okay so I don't get your vote. I could still be your son-in-law. Come on Pops... slide me a photo. :eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom