Little help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nick it should last a good bit, I'd just warm it up at least to room temp before adding though.

john pen said:
Buy the kind in the jar..Woodman say's it'll last forever.. :twisted:

I think Nick values his integrity of being a decent cook and wouldn't stoop as low as to buying a jar of roux. That's as bad as one using an electric stove and calling themselves a chef! :shock:

I don't know how long it keeps even though I'm from Louisiana. I usually only make what I need for the dish. I do have the jar kind I bought while down in Louisiana. I had it a long time. I believe it is under an old sink cabinet in the basement where I keep alot of cooking stuff. It has been opened but I looked fine a few months ago...I probably need to open it up and see what acutally it smells like. Here is the kind I bought from a local supermarket in New Orleans.

http://www.savoiesfoods.com/products_roux.html

The easiest roux I made was in an oven with a mixture of 50/50 mixture of flour and oil. I believe I cooked it at probably 250 degrees and stirred it occasionally. I did this in an iron skillet.

speedtrap said:
Are you really discussing the shelf life of Roux?? COME ON.. Its takes all of 3 Min to make and then you know its fresh..

If you really think about it by the time to go to the Fridge open the door open the jar give it smell to see if its any good then re warm it so it will do its job you could have had a fresh one on the stove already finished..

For all you Low and Slow guys this is pretty LAME. 12+ Hours to make a meal and you save 2 Min by using pre made Roux.

You can make roux in 3 mins? :shock:

I don't buy roux in a jar.

Finney said:
speedtrap said:
Are you really discussing the shelf life of Roux?? COME ON.. Its takes all of 3 Min to make and then you know its fresh..

If you really think about it by the time to go to the Fridge open the door open the jar give it smell to see if its any good then re warm it so it will do its job you could have had a fresh one on the stove already finished..

For all you Low and Slow guys this is pretty LAME. 12+ Hours to make a meal and you save 2 Min by using pre made Roux.

I was gonna ask the same thing..............takes me a good 30 minutes at least to make a proper roux.

Larry Wolfe said:
Finney said:
speedtrap said:

It might take 3 minutes to do other stuff :shock: ...but roux in 3 minutes I'm not buying it...

I was gonna ask the same thing..............takes me a good 30 minutes at least to make a proper roux.

Larry Wolfe said:
Finney said:
speedtrap said:

Must like instant grits too. :roll: ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom