Lodge Reversible Grill/Griddle - Doesn't impart "grilled" into meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have this happen with both steak and chicken. I prep the meat, dab dry, lightly oil and season. I turn the oven to 450, with the grill in to heat up. When the oven is up to temp, I place the meat on the grill, and cook. Meat is cooked as expected, but the grill lines I'd expect are not there, along with the crispy "grilled" texture. What are the possible issues/solutions?

Is the grill not up to temp? Should I prep the meat differently?

P.S. I previously found a Lodge grill pan, and have the same results using it as well.

Grill pans are meant to be used on the stove top... whether electric or gas.

If the burners are on high, you will get those grill marks.

If you feel that your meat is either going to burn or not be cooked enough you can always finish in the oven, or vice versa.

But you won't get grill marks just using the oven.

When you have a thermometer in your oven (or your outside grill) It is measuring the temperature of the air. Not the metal, which gets a lot hotter.

If you are grilling in the oven with the top burner, that is applying direct heat to the meat/whatever, you get your searing/browning but the inside of the object doesn't - won't cook.

Sorry, not very good at explaining this, someone else should be able to make it clearer for you.

The castiron absorbs heat from the heat source. Air is a poor conductor, and won't the CI beyond what the oven temperature is set at. Also, as the meat absorbs energy from the pan, it cools the pan. Evaporation of meat juices also cools the pan.

The stove top, burners, be it flame, radiant heat, or induction, will heat the pan beyond what you can get in the oven, and quickly replaces lost heat, creating a more even heat temperature. A gas flame is about 3,000 degrees, while a radiant coil comes in at about 1,500 degrees F. Of course, how much of that heat is lost as the flame travels around the pan/grill, and into the atmosphere makes t so the flame doesn't damage the cookware.

Grill marks come from the mallard reaction, where proteins, and sugars in the food react to the heat. This is not a smoky flavor, but is rich in umami. smoky flavor can only be achieved when wood, or burning fat smoke deposits tiny smoke particles on the food.

I hope this info helps.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom