Looking for input - Stromboli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GinnyPNW

Master Chef
I've never made a Stromboli, but they look so good! I'm hoping from input from those that have made them, recipes, ideas, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I made one once. We were underwhelmed. The bread sort of fell apart where it had been rolled. It was probably pilot error. It wasn't interesting enough for me to try making again. It still sounds like it should be good.

Ginny, I make Stromboli often

Stromboli.jpg

I use Pizza dough rather than a bread type dough

https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/2016/03/17/stromboli-or-rolled-calzone/

Sounds very good! I'm looking at a recipe that calls for N.Y. pizza dough (made one day in advance). It would be a huge stromboli, for just the 2 of us, but I don't want to serve it without testing it out first.

smileys-thinking-082618.gif
Maybe divide the dough into two or three pieces and make more than one. Pizza dough can be refrigerated for a few days and people here have successfully frozen it, too.

Maybe divide the dough into two or three pieces and make more than one. Pizza dough can be refrigerated for a few days and people here have successfully frozen it, too.

That's an idea. I usually have pizza dough in the freezer, but Neapolitan style dough. I'll have to start labeling them! ;)

I've made it both with fresh bread and fresh pizza dough. They both came out very tasty. One thing to remember, whatever the filling, make sure to roll the dough thin, as it will rise and thicken after rolled. Many people make stromboli without a sauce. I always put sauce in mine.

Brush the outside with egg wash to enhance the crust, and maybe dust with grated parmegiano regiano, or other hard Italian cheese, and a little garlic powder.

Another option option is a pizza pastie. This is made by making an 8 inch pizza, with sauce and toppings, leaving an inch wide outside ring of plain dough. It's then folded in half, the edges rolled inward and pinched to seal, and brushed with egg wash, or milk, let rise, then bake to golden brown.

Both the calzone, and pizza pastie keep the toppings moist, and full flavored, and both are show stoppers. Hope this gives you some ideas with which to play.

I have to say that guests who have eaten my pizza pasties insisted that I give them the technique, and recipe. The idea, and creation wasn't mine. But they are a big hit where I'm from.

Seeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I've made it both with fresh bread and fresh pizza dough. They both came out very tasty. One thing to remember, whatever the filling, make sure to roll the dough thin, as it will rise and thicken after rolled. Many people make stromboli without a sauce. I always put sauce in mine.

Brush the outside with egg wash to enhance the crust, and maybe dust with grated parmegiano regiano, or other hard Italian cheese, and a little garlic powder.

Another option option is a pizza pastie. This is made by making an 8 inch pizza, with sauce and toppings, leaving an inch wide outside ring of plain dough. It's then folded in half, the edges rolled inward and pinched to seal, and brushed with egg wash, or milk, let rise, then bake to golden brown.

Both the calzone, and pizza pastie keep the toppings moist, and full flavored, and both are show stoppers. Hope this gives you some ideas with which to play.

I have to say that guests who have eaten my pizza pasties insisted that I give them the technique, and recipe. The idea, and creation wasn't mine. But they are a big hit where I'm from.

Seeeeya, Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks, Chief! Much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom