Looking for your thoughts on this pasta recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Farfalle with Sweet Shrimp

2 Servings

1/3-1/2 lb (150-227f) dry farfalle (bowties)
2 Tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
12 large raw shrimp, peeled
1 large finely chopped garlic clove
1/3 red pepper (sweet), cored and cut into strips
1 Tbsp capers
1/3 yellow or orange pepper (sweet) cored and cut into strips
1-2 Tbsp (15-30 ml) fresh chopped basil or oregano
1 Tbsp (15 ml) honey
Salt and pepper
2 sliced green shallots

1. Cook the pasta in salted water 'til 'al dente'. Drain and set aside in this pot.
2. Heat your oil over medium-high heat in a pan, adding the shrimps, garlic, pepper and herbs. Saute 2-3 minutes stirring all the while.
3. Add the capers and honey. Saute 2 minutes or 'til the shrimp are pink.
4. Add shrimp mixture to the pasta pot. Salt & pepper to taste.
5. Mix gently, sprinkle with shallots -

Serve immediately

I know the title says Sweet Shrimp but I can't seem to wrap my head around it.

Plus there being no other 'real' sauce, this sounds almost like a salad and should maybe be served cold.

What think you all?

I'm guessing a one hit wonder at Costco. There was a series of 6 books in these little stand-up by themselves like an easel. I got 2 of them, Pasta and Chicken. The publishing firm is in Quebec (as was the Costco branch I got them in) but other than that there is absolutely no info on any of the recipes. I'm also talking about 10 years ago.

Never did anything with either of them. Now trying to weed out and copy down some of interest - this one was marked but then the more I read it - the more weird it sounded.

Marlingardener, would you make it?

Sprinkle with raw shallots? Ew :sick: And I don't like raw garlic. Sautéing a large clove isn't enough.

Recipes that don't list the ingredients in the order in which they will be used annoy me. It's unprofessional and makes me wonder if the recipe is reliable.

Edit: I wonder if "green shallots" is supposed to be "green onions."

I think that is a translation error. It should probably have been scallions.
But I often fine chop shallots for egg or tuna salads. fine chop being the clue.

It is all listed in order - or are you referring to the pasta being cooked first?

I think that is a translation error. It should probably have been scallions.
But I often fine chop shallots for egg or tuna salads. fine chop being the clue.

It is all listed in order - or are you referring to the pasta being cooked first?
The peppers should be together and the capers should be with the honey.

yeah, you're right, I had noticed the peppers were separated by the capers. Looks like the capers got inserted wrongly. But... if I were a betting person, I would say it is who ever is in charge of layouts.
If you could see how it is printed out - the ingredients are in two columns. In order to make the columns even, they inserted the capers before the yellow or orange peppers - because that ingredient took two lines!
LOL - obviously the proof reader is/was not a cook/chef!

But that's a moot point - what do you think of the recipe itself, GG?

I think the ingredients go well together, but I'd make some changes. I'd use a different short pasta because I don't like how farfalle stays so firm in the center. I'd sauté the peppers and garlic before the shrimp because I like them more cooked. I think the honey is out of place, so I'd omit it. So basically, I'd make a different recipe 😁

Hmm, I think a different recipe would be better. You might get some inspiration from this to make a better recipe for a cold salad. And I don't think the honey belongs in that recipe.

I'd forgotten I'd even posted this! That's how impressed I am with myself. LOL
Think I agree with everyone on this - it's a salad, best to change the pasta - thank you GG, never realized that's exactly why I don't particularly like farfall eeither.

Guess I'll keep it under salads. Switch the honey for a really nice simple vinaigrette of a white basalmic vinegar and a peppery Olive Oil.

Back
Top Bottom