Lousy pre-made food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd_1138

Sous Chef
Stepson is sheltering in place with us. He's 22. Anyway my wife took him to the grocery store, and he picked out a bunch of pre-made food. He bought like 20 of these name brand breakfast bowl things with scrambled eggs, cheese, potatos and steak (a few small pieces) in them.

Wife made me one, and they are bad. The steak is tough, chewy, flavorless, and the cheese becomes a watery foul substance at the bottom of the bowl.

I said "ick these are awful, plus it's a bad value." Those bowl things are like $3 each. Heck you can buy eggs, spuds, meat (sausage or steak even) and make a way better breakfast for like 50 cents or less of ingredients.

Wife said: "well he gets tired of the same food everyday for breakfast." My cast iron (well seasoned) puts out a mean awesome breakfast. I think in this culture of prepared and processed food, a lot of people just have this fascination with prepared junk food with a famous logo on it. My hash browns, sausage, gravy, eggs (any style you want) kick the crap out of the slop in those breakfast bowl things. And it really doesn't take long for me to cook up a great breakfast, and cleanup is a quick wipeout of the cast iron skillet.

Last edited:
So, jd, he's there, in addition to the one destroying your food?

I would say that maybe if they were paying for it, they would learn how cook, but probably not - it's something about the culture, where they aren't really thinking about the food as they eat it, since they are probably on a cell phone at the same time. One of the main reasons that I learned how to cook, was to save money, but then I realized, hey, it tasted a whole lot better too!

Last edited:
So, jd, he's there, in addition to the one destroying your food?

I would say that maybe if they were paying for it, they would learn how cook, but probably not - it's something about the culture, where they aren't really thinking about the food as they eat it, since they are probably on a cell phone at the same time. One of the main reasons that I learned how to cook, was to save money, but then I realized, hey, it tasted a whole lot better too!

Yep, they're both here. His dad booted him out of his house, and when my wife told her ex "he's going to be homeless" her ex told her to "drop him off at the homeless shelter".

So I gave the lad a free place to live for a few months and great homemade food, but then I get the privilege of paying for slop/prepared food when the lad gets sick of my awesome home cooking. :ROFLMAO:

I am glad I get to vent on here. It helps keep my cabin fever down a tad.

Last edited:
He either doesn't know how to cook or has never tasted really good food. Or he's lazy to plan, shop,cook and cleanup.

He either doesn't know how to cook or has never tasted really good food. Or he's lazy to plan, shop,cook and cleanup.

Yep, apparently all he ate at his dad's house was Hamburger Helper and frozen pizza and TV dinners. His dad's new wife would make 2 boxes of Hamburger Helper and they'd have it one night and then as leftovers 2 other nights. Then in between the HH, they'd have TV dinners and frozen pizza. Sometimes she'd make chicken nuggets and Ore-Ida tater tots, he said.

Sadly a lot of people eat like this. Why pay more money for slop? I don't get it. I enjoy food prep and cooking. I have a Google Home Mini speaker in the kitchen, so I put music on and cook.

I was in a class to get certified for terminating telecom cables, and fiber optic cables. I asked a lot of questions as I had a desire to be the best that I could be. When we made our cable terminations, mine were always the best in my class. One day, the instructor told us that if we got done with our subject matter that we could leve class early. Well, I asked a few questions about terminations that I needed to be able to terminate for my job. Plus, I was to be the guy to teach my co-workers the techniques and skills.

After just two questions, multiple class members rudely asked me to shut up so we could get out of class early. As I stated, I finished top of the class.

And so it seems to be with our current society. Most people are happy with mundane, and sketchy workmanship, be it in manufacturing, cooking, or the goods they purchase. The goal of excellence seems to have disappeared. It's been replaced by mediocraty.

I'm thankful for those who still strive for excellence. It's just not the majority, as it once was.

Keep setting a good example
You may be able to instill in that young man a desire to try harder.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I would invite the kid over for dinner once a week and send him home with a sack of leftovers.

Let him figure out his own food budget for the rest of the week.

Poverty is a great teacher and hunger is the best sauce.

If he is still living with you I would encourage him to go into the kitchen and graze on whatever he can find but I would not purchase special convenience food items for him.

Last edited:
jd, I would give the lad whatever "Hard Luck Sally" has made for supper.
Let him know that he'll need to eat what's available in the house,
maybe that would sent him over to his Buddy's house to free-load
for awhile :LOL:
I kid, I kid, I'm sure that your wife loves having him!

Maybe he needs some cooking lessons? Consider inviting him to dinner and then putting him in charge of prepping one item - provide him with a recipe and some instruction.

I'd be willing to bet it is the sodium content..It has been said that people who eat a lot of processed foods and pre made meals become desensitized to flavors due to the high sodium in these things..they mistake the saltiness for flavor..so, if something lacks a certain amount of sodium, their brains tell them there is no flavor..

My son, when he was in college and lived on his own, rarely if ever cooked. And he is actually is a very good cook. He can throw a full meal party in an hour or two for like 10-20 people. I'm not kidding.
When I visited him on occasion, I told him that is a huge waste to buy premade foods.

Being a finance and management guru, he set down with me and did the math. He admitted that food does not taste good, but it is a huge time and even money saving for somebody like him. So, maybe for family people pre made stuff is garbage and waste. For 20 some though it may not be.

I'd be willing to bet it is the sodium content..It has been said that people who eat a lot of processed foods and pre made meals become desensitized to flavors due to the high sodium in these things..they mistake the saltiness for flavor..so, if something lacks a certain amount of sodium, their brains tell them there is no flavor..

I have been sick for a while, including a few days in the Hospital. As part of my ongoing treatment, I take meds to make my kidneys eliminate more salt from my body, and I am on a very strict low sodium diet.

When I look at food labels now, I am amazed at how much salt is dumped into prepared foods. Even foods that are "healthy" are loaded with salt. Even more unbelievable is how much sodium is in "sweet" foods.

CD

If you wet your finger and get a little hot cocoa mix on it, you will be amazed at how salty it tastes. If you think about it, most everything you make is seasoned with a fair amount of salt. If you go without salt for just a week, you will become less sensitive to it. Then you can use less salt on your own foods.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I have been sick for a while, including a few days in the Hospital.CD

Good to see you posting, CD..

Hope you heal quickly and completely..

For some reason, I seldom use salt when I cook anymore. I don't think I leave it out because I'm more conscious of any dangers of too much salt now. I just don't reach for the salt box as I used to..

Ross

I'm not understanding something here... these people are using your food, bought with your money and you have no say in it?

If they bought their own food then they can cook it as they wish, you don't have to prepare or eat it.

I believe I would go ballistic if I found someone trying to take over my kitchen because they are a relative and feelings don't want to be hurt! What about YOUR feelings? Because they were raised so poorly that they have no manners, social graces, sensitivities nor conscience doesn't mean you need to be abused - in your own house.

JMHO

I have been sick for a while, including a few days in the Hospital. As part of my ongoing treatment, I take meds to make my kidneys eliminate more salt from my body, and I am on a very strict low sodium diet.

When I look at food labels now, I am amazed at how much salt is dumped into prepared foods. Even foods that are "healthy" are loaded with salt. Even more unbelievable is how much sodium is in "sweet" foods.

CD

It is kinda shocking, how much salt and other sodium is in most prepared foods. I don't usually have to watch my sodium consumption, but once in a while I start to retain water and the easiest solution for me is to lower my salt consumption.

Good to see you here. I was just wondering how you were doing. I noticed you hadn't posted since some time in March. Wishing you continued "god bedring" (Danish for good bettering).

casey! So good to see you! You take care of yourself. It's scary out there in the world right now. Stay safe.

If you wet your finger and get a little hot cocoa mix on it, you will be amazed at how salty it tastes...
AND how sugary it is. I started making my own, with just plain cocoa powder and sugar. My mix tastes real chocolaty without being sweet...or salty.

I'm really glad to see you too Casey. I was just about to ask about you at MIA but checked on your posting profile. You have been missed, and I hope you are soon well and healthy again.

JD, I'm sorry you are once again being taken advantage of by one of your wife's free loading relatives. Hey, it's time to make it clear you don't plan on being a patsy anymore. You were that with her cousin and ...enough is more than enough. In my opinion, she should be on your side and in your corner . Off my soapbox now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom